PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE! Desperate for a Chili Recipe! Can I use yours? (xpost)

ha98ed14
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
UPDATE: WE WON! (sort of...) We placed 5th of 25, so not first, but certainly not last! I ended up taking some elements from all the recipes shared here, but I think the thing that set us over the rest was using dark chocolate!

:praying:

I've been hooked into prepping for a "Chili Cookoff!" and I am determined to... not suck! (I'm NOT a good cook!) Looking for something yummy (and idiot-proof!) TIA for any replies!

(Mods, I xposted cuz I need help asap and didn't get any takers in the cooking forum)

niccig
02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
From Rachel Ray..it's vegie chili, but brown some meat with the onion then add the rest...if it's too spicy, say you accidentally put in too much hot sauce, stir in some sugar.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/veg-head-three-bean-chili-recipe/index.html

It's one of my quick, 30 min meals...for the favours to develop longer, let it simmer for a while longer.

daisymommy
02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Mine may not win a contest, but everyone who eats it loves it :) It's my mom's recipe.

1 lb. ground beef, browned with a chopped onion
2 cans Goya small red beans
16 oz. tomato sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes (chop them up inside the can with kitchen scissors)
2-3 cups water
1 packet McCormick Chilli spices

Combine everything in your Crockpot and cook on low all day (8 hours).

Enjoy!

ohiomom1121
02-23-2011, 11:50 PM
This one is easy and really good!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Debdoozies-Blue-Ribbon-Chili/Detail.aspx

indigo99
02-24-2011, 12:25 AM
This one is easy and really good!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Debdoozies-Blue-Ribbon-Chili/Detail.aspx

:yeahthat: This is our family chili recipe now. It's super easy. We use the chunky salsa.

MMMommy
02-24-2011, 12:35 AM
DH and I love extra spicy foods, so this recipe is spicy because of the can of chipotles in adobo sauce and cayenne pepper. You don't need to add the chipotles and cayenne, but I think they add a delicious, spicy kick. This is my favorite chili recipe, modified and tweaked over time to create our favorite chili.

Spicy Black Bean and Beef Chili

2 tablespoons light olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 cups beef stock
1 cup water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp seasoned salt
Cayenne pepper (add to your own spicy/heat level)
3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can of chipotles in Adobo Sauce (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set ground beef aside.

2. Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and onion. Saute until softened. Add ground beef and remaining ingredients, except beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Add black beans and simmer.

gobadgers
02-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I use various recipes, but I always add a little bit of dark chocolate while its simmering. Not only does it add a nice flavor, it also turns it a nice dark color. DH won a chili cookoff using this tip - so there it is, my secret ingredient! ;)

niccig
02-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Liz, I would do the All recipes chili that is posted above - it's got over one thousand reviews and gets 5 stars, and then add in some chocolate - I think that will be a winning combination...

But question about the All recipes chili - it's say's chili seasoning...do they mean chili powder?

Aishe
02-24-2011, 03:47 AM
I don't have a favorite chili recipe, but if you want something foolproof I figure you can never go wrong with a Cook's Illustrated recipe. This looks simple enough.

http://mango-lass.blogspot.com/2007/06/cooks-illustrated-simple-beef-chili.html

bnme
02-24-2011, 07:29 AM
I do mine basically the same as daisymom. Except instead of the packet I use chili powder, ground cloves and touch of cumin. I also do not use water and do it on top of the stove.

m448
02-24-2011, 09:00 AM
this one is my personal favorite although my husband's chili is a close second. We both have differing preferences for our chili thus the two chili recipes.

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/09/not-mr-maricucus-chili.html

His is based off the mccormick packet but when he was a single guy cooking it he misread the measurements and doubled the tomato sauce. It worked LOL. Now I downloaded a packet seasoning mix that's made out of homemade ingredients and keep it in a jar for him to make his famous chili. Of course he's now taken to adding beer to his like mine and it definitely improves the flavor.l

MelissaTC
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I love this recipe. It is Al Roker's chili recipe and it is delicious! I have always made it with chopped stew meat or cube steaks but I am sure it is fine with ground beef. I have also done sweet Italian sausage as well.

Ingredients:
2 pounds chuck steak, cubed in bite-size pieces
1 pound hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
2 large onions, diced
12 cloves garlic, diced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon pure chili powder
1 can (32 ounce size) crushed tomatoes
1 can (16 ounce size) pinto beans
1 can (16 ounce size) Northern beans
1 can (16 ounce size) dark red kidney beans
***Garnishes***
Chopped scallions
Sour cream
Shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Brown the beef and sausages in a large Dutch oven. Remove the meat and reserve. Drain off the fat, reserving about two tablespoons.

Saute the onions and garlic until translucent, about 7 to 7 minutes.

Add the cumin, paprika and chili powder. Add the tomatoes and the beef into the Dutch oven. Stir the whole pot, and simmer on the stove for about 1 1/2 hours.

Add the three cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Serve with dishes of chopped scallions, sour cream and shredded Cheddar cheese. Cornbread is great with this also!

ohiomom1121
02-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Liz, I would do the All recipes chili that is posted above - it's got over one thousand reviews and gets 5 stars, and then add in some chocolate - I think that will be a winning combination...

But question about the All recipes chili - it's say's chili seasoning...do they mean chili powder?
I use the packet of chili seasoning if I have it, or a recipe I found googling for a copycat version.

daisymommy
02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
m448~ Which homemade chili seasoning recipe do you use? I have printed out 4 of them and have no idea which one to try--but I don't want to waste ingredients with no in-real-life opinions on any of them.

Thanks!

m448
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
m448~ Which homemade chili seasoning recipe do you use? I have printed out 4 of them and have no idea which one to try--but I don't want to waste ingredients with no in-real-life opinions on any of them.

Thanks!

It's this one DM:

http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/99/02/marniesfavoritechiliseaso125361.html

He still doctors his chili a bit as it simmers. Basically stands in front of the "wall 'o spices" for a while dumping and tasting but he did that with the mccormick packets as well. This basic mix I multiply by 10-12 and keep it in a mason jar for him to use at will.

ha98ed14
02-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Update in OP

niccig
02-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Well done. That's a very good result... You should post what you ended up doing.

gobadgers
03-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Yay, congrats! So glad it went well, and I'm excited the chocolate helped.