PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a weather radio for emergency situations?

Pinky
02-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Do you have a weather radio in your house to keep you informed of tornados and other emergency weather situations? If so, what kind do you have?

We have satellite TV so it always goes out when the weather is bad so we can't depend on the news channels for weather reports. Thinking of getting a weather radio that would alert us if there is a tornado nearby. We have the sirens in our town but I'm not sure we always hear them if we're sleeping.

kdeunc
02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
We do. I can look at the brand. I know it came from Radio Shack and cost about $50-60. It works great and we have had no issues. We occassionally get tornados here and I wanted to have it for overnights.

JElaineB
02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes, I have a weather radio next to my bed that alarms if there is a tornado warning, and a number of other types of warnings. It has SAME technology so I can program it to only alert for my county. I have had ti for a number of years, so I am sure there are even better models out there now. It is also nice because it also has regular weather info. Anytime I want to get a weather forecast I can turn it on, and it has the day's/week's forecast on within a few minutes.

Pinky
02-24-2011, 10:27 AM
We do. I can look at the brand. I know it came from Radio Shack and cost about $50-60. It works great and we have had no issues. We occassionally get tornados here and I wanted to have it for overnights.
Can you set it so that it only alerts you to tornados in your local area? I've seen some before that go off for even thunderstorm watches and not even in the immediate area. I'm looking for one that will only alert me for an actual emergency.

TwoBees
02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
WE have this one:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62135?from=SR&feat=sr
I got it mostly for the flashlight, as we don't live in a high severe weather area. If I needed the radio more than the light, I would have gotten this one:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62136?from=SR&feat=sr

Pinky
02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, I have a weather radio next to my bed that alarms if there is a tornado warning, and a number of other types of warnings. It has SAME technology so I can program it to only alert for my county. I have had ti for a number of years, so I am sure there are even better models out there now.

I've been reading some reviews on Amazon and it seems that the SAME technology is what I need to have. Thanks.

JElaineB
02-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Can you set it so that it only alerts you to tornados in your local area? I've seen some before that go off for even thunderstorm watches and not even in the immediate area. I'm looking for one that will only alert me for an actual emergency.

I can program mine to not alert for certain types of warnings, but there are some you can't delete, such as tornado warning and a few others. I do get woken up sometimes for ones that I wish I could delete, but overall it is worth it for the peace of mind.

kdeunc
02-24-2011, 10:48 AM

We can program ours that way. It is set to alarm for Tornado Warnings in our county and the closest neighboring county (we live near the county border). Our's is a Radio Shack brand.