PDA

View Full Version : Question about boys and potty-training

khalloc
02-24-2011, 10:49 AM
When you start potty-training your boy, do you have him sit to pee or stand?

If they start off by sitting, when do you show them to stand up and pee?

Just asking because I mentioned to a male friend that DS is starting to pee on the potty all day and I mentioned that he sits to pee. And he thought that was wierd. But I thought sitting was the norm at first, and once he has it down, and gets taller, then he can start standing to pee. My first child was a girl. DH hasnt said anything about having DS sit. I thought it was what most people do. Just seeing who's right! Just for clarification, my male friend does not have a son and his daughter is only like 7 months old. So he has never gone thru potty training.

daisymommy
02-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Start by sitting (it's just too much going on at once for them to multi-task and still aim correctly), and then progress to standing at around age 4. Even then, I still am wiping up pee off the seat and floor from accidents.

ett
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
We started out sitting but moved to standing after they became comfortable peeing in the toilet.

DietCokeLover
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
We started with him sitting, but about a month later, he saw DH standing so he wanted to as well. Now he does both.

crl
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Start with sitting. They figure out that big boys stand on their own and start insisting soon enough.

Catherine

newbiemom
02-24-2011, 10:57 AM
DS1 we started out by sitting (for about a week maybe?), but when he saw DH standing, he wanted to stand - and that was when things really clicked.

DS2 just started standing right away.

They were both around 3 when they started training.

carolinamama
02-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Both boys have started out sitting and then stand when they are proficient. DS1 kinda progressed on his own from modelling DH. DS2 just sits everytime (except in public restrooms we hold him up to go standing so he doesn't touch the seat) but he is only 3 weeks into wearing underwear all the time. I REALLY wish all the boys/men in our household would sit. Our toilets would be much more pleasant to me and I wouldn't have to wipe them so much.

MontrealMum
02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
We started when DS was about 2 yrs 8 mos., and like PP mentioned, he was initially sitting but once he saw DH stand, he wanted to stand as well. He is proficient at both, and continues to do both - though I don't know why. DH does too :) We've only had one accident where he was too absorbed with talking and hit the tub and the floor rather than the bowl.

brittone2
02-24-2011, 11:17 AM
DS1 started by sitting but moved to standing after not too long. Fortunately he had good aim and it wasn't messy, LOL.

HIU8
02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
DS started by sitting and soon moved to standing. Out he normally stands. If he is doing more than just peeing, he sits.

JBaxter
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
sitting... Lean and tuck Lean and tuck.... we are in the process as we speak.

AshleyAnn
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I have a DD but if I have a boy I plan to teach him the same thing MIL taught DH - you sit at home, stand in public/outside. Its sooo much cleaner!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
interesting thread, will have to show this to DH (especially the poll results!!). DH is like OP's friend and thinks it's "weird" if i teach DS to pee sitting down. But I'm trying to be practical here, and figure it makes no sense to teach him to stand right away bc he won't have the coordination to hold/aim AT ALL (i don't want to be cleaning up sprayed pee left and right!)

BillK
02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
All the boys in our house (me included) sit on the pot to pee at home. Out and about standing is fine but at home we sit.

For me it's out of respect for my wife who does the bathroom cleaning (I "sat" before we had kids too) - and when the boys are old enough to get it - that's exactly what we'll tell them too. If they wanna stand up at home - then they get to take over bathroom cleaning and it better be up to our standards if they do. :)

It was more of a challenge to teach Zach to stand to pee doing it that way - but I think it's better for us since my wife and I are both neat freaks.

wencit
02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
We started out teaching DS1 to sit, but transitioned him to standing once he was about 4 and someone told me that in kindergarten all the boys stand up. For some reason, I had this really irrational fear that DS1 was going to get made fun of by all the boys for sitting. It's nice that now he's tall enough to stand and pee in public, too!

mommylamb
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
We started by sitting, but I'll tell you, he didn't really "get" potty training until he started standing. That's when he started peeing on the potty all the time.

hellokitty
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Your friend has obviously never had to clean pee before that is sprayed all over everywhere EXCEPT inside the toilet. Have him do that, and then ask him if he thinks learning to sit before standing is a better idea.

JBaxter
02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Your friend has obviously never had to clean pee before that is sprayed all over everywhere EXCEPT inside the toilet. Have him do that, and then ask him if he thinks learning to sit before standing is a better idea.

Or have the toilet ring slam down on a little penis / testicles because they lay them right on the edge. :( Talk about a blood curdling scream :(

hellokitty
02-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Or have the toilet ring slam down on a little penis / testicles because they lay them right on the edge. :( Talk about a blood curdling scream :(

Oh, I almost forgot about that! I still make my boys sit at home to pee, just b/c of the mess factor. I tell them they can stand to pee when they go somewhere else. This is a family tradition from my mil, lol.

khalloc
02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Wow, I had no idea that grown men would ever choose to sit and pee. I guess I could see if you were going #2 at the same time. I would think it was wierd if my DH did that. I remember once reading a thread here when someone said she wished or wanted or made her DH would always sit to pee and it shocked me. But I guess its not just that one person who thinks that way. Very eye-opening! I guess you really do learn something new every day. The whole cleaning side of it makes sense, but still couldnt imagine a man (or at least MY man!) agreeing to do that willingly.

MommyAllison
02-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Most of our friends have done standing, but we taught DS to sit. Way less messy for us! And, DS prefers his Bjorn potty to the regular toilet, so sitting just works better. It grosses me out how our bathroom looks after certain little boys (who stand and really shouldn't!) come over. My kid's pee is one thing, but to clean up someone else's from all over the bathroom - ick.

vonfirmath
02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
My son's legs were not long enough to stand up and pee. So he started learning by sitting on the potty. (last summer). He just naturally moved to standing up to pee once his legs were long enough -- and he still sits to pee on potties that are too tall.

It was a big production at first for him to figure out how to sit and pee without spraying all over everywhere -- the floor, clothes, etc. For us, it has been cleaner for him to stand!

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Ds1 used to get teased in 2nd grade b/c he sat to pee. Turns out his undies didn't have an open fly, weird. But, for housekeeping sake I am quite glad he sits- far less messy though he has always had good aim. Some of his friends? Not so much and I sure wish they would sit!

Dh prefers to sit. He says he is happy for chances to sit and relax.

Beth

o_mom
02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Ds1 used to get teased in 2nd grade b/c he sat to pee. Turns out his undies didn't have an open fly, weird.

On this... don't ask how it came up, but a highly unscientific poll when I was in college found that not a single guy actually used the opening in the front of underwear. They all just pulled it down in front from the waistband.

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
On this... don't ask how it came up, but a highly unscientific poll when I was in college found that not a single guy actually used the opening in the front of underwear. They all just pulled it down in front from the waistband.

Interesting! I remember I handed over the teaching of this peeing to stand thing to dh and I'm not sure what they came up with. I think ds1 still sits at school though- he got over caring about being teased!

Beth

mommylamb
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
As I said in my earlier post, DH started out sitting, but now stands (he's 3.5 now). But he has never had the problems with standing that some of the other posters have had. He usually stands on a stool unless it's a low toilet, so no problem with short legs. He leans forward, hands on the seat that is in the upward position (so he's not holding his penis, just aiming it). He has never peed outside the bowl. I just make sure to wash his hands well afterward. No problems at all.

khalloc
02-24-2011, 02:02 PM
As I said in my earlier post, DH started out sitting, but now stands (he's 3.5 now). But he has never had the problems with standing that some of the other posters have had. He usually stands on a stool unless it's a low toilet, so no problem with short legs. He leans forward, hands on the seat that is in the upward position (so he's not holding his penis, just aiming it). He has never peed outside the bowl. I just make sure to wash his hands well afterward. No problems at all.

LOL! I hope you mean DS!

vonfirmath
02-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Ah. Our bathroom has no room for a stool (there is barely room for one person to turn around when standing) and when out and about, there are no stools available.

AshleyAnn
02-24-2011, 02:59 PM

This reminds me of a conversation DH and I had earlier this week. He decided to replace all of his underpants with a different kind that are made for running back before decemeber. He points out to me monday "Have you noticed this kind of underwear don't have a pee hole?" me: "umm no DH, I don't study your underwear when I wash them I just toss them in the machine." I assumed they were ment to encourage sitting. :p

deborah_r
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Definitely started out sitting. DS1 sat for a pretty long time (I figured less mess that way), but DS2 wanted to be like DS1 and started standing a couple weeks into potty training. DS2 was a rapid potty trainer, I got so lucky with him. (Also didn't really start with him until after 3 years old) DS1 has always had to be reminded to use the potty, but DS2 just knows when to go and takes the initiative to get there and do his business.

mommylamb
02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
LOL! I hope you mean DS!
:ROTFLMAO: Oops, yes, meant to say DS. DH is quite proficient at aiming as well. Plus, he cleans the bathrooms. I never do.

veronica
02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
All the boys in our house (me included) sit on the pot to pee at home. Out and about standing is fine but at home we sit.

For me it's out of respect for my wife who does the bathroom cleaning (I "sat" before we had kids too) - and when the boys are old enough to get it - that's exactly what we'll tell them too. If they wanna stand up at home - then they get to take over bathroom cleaning and it better be up to our standards if they do. :)

It was more of a challenge to teach Zach to stand to pee doing it that way - but I think it's better for us since my wife and I are both neat freaks.

OMG, I want to clone you!:bowdown:

Tondi G
02-25-2011, 12:24 AM
my boys both started sitting... facing the tank. Both moved to standing within a few months after seeing their Dad (and Big brother) stand.

SpaceGal
02-25-2011, 01:18 AM
My boys started with sitting...as they see DH in the bathroom then they copy him as they get older. My oldest (6yo) stands with DH and they pee together sometimes...it's really funny...cute but funny. DS2 tries to do the standing thing but it gets messy and his hands are all over the seat so we tell him he has to get taller and not touch the seat so he's back to sitting. The other thing I notice is that "standing" for my guys is leaning into the toilet...not necessarily holding their peepee to aim and what not...so I leave this to DH to teach. Not my department. :)

elephantmeg
02-25-2011, 02:27 AM
I still make DS sit!

klwa
02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
We started with sitting partially so that we could keep it up for longer periods of time. (Set him on the potty & read a book, or play with a special toy, etc to try to get him to stay until he peed.) Once he got good at it, he figured out how to stand up. :)