PDA

View Full Version : Walker Wagons? (1 yr old but not walking)?

akc
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi there -

You guys were AWESOME for me at Xmas when I was looking for gifts for my then 9-mo old nephew. I got him the Laugh and Learn Home which was and continues to be a HUGE hit! Here's the thread in case anyone is interested in the ideas listed:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=382029

So, I'm back b/c one of the recommendations was the Radio Flyer Walker Wagon. My nephew still isn't walking (though he pulls up and then stands and thinks about it), so do you think that's still a good gift? I don't want him to outgrow it too quickly (esp for the price) and wish it could go more directions than back and forth, though they do have some big open spaces in rooms.

Since it is expensive, the others recommended were the Melissa & Doug and Ikea models. Anyone have any opinions on those? I kind of like the RF for the storage in the wagon - (and storage for mom)!

Thanks for your thoughts - want to order now for his 1st bday!

Thanks!

PS I should add that I'd really love to give them a real RF wagon but they have really no flat area on their driveway and the sidewalks aren't flat. I think that makes it less useful for now...?

smiles33
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Both my DDs still play with their RF Walker Wagon, but we got it during the 50% off sale so it was only $50. We love it! They push toys around in it, ride in it and push one another, etc. Plus, I like that it's heavy so it doesn't roll away so easily when new walkers try to pull up. We had a Fisher Price walker wagon for DD1 that was terrible. That was barely used (more for the shape sorter at the bottom).

My DDs were both "late" walkers (closer to 15 months) so your nephew may have plenty of time to play with this still.

weech
02-25-2011, 04:48 PM
I got my DS a RF Walker Wagon for Christmas. He's 10.5 months right now and absolutely loves it. He's not walking yet. He just stands there with it and takes toys out of the wagon, drops them on the floor and says "uh oh!" and then if he can reach them, he puts them back into the wagon. We help him walk with it (he holds the handle bars and we push the wagon really slowly so he can take steps) and he loves that too.

I definitely think he'll be playing with it for a long time. HTH!

citymama
02-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm considering one of the following:
Haba Walker Wagon
Plan Toys wagon
IKEA wagon

and unfortunately, leaning towards the most expensive one (Haba), esp if I can find it used.

brittone2
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
We have and love the Haba walker wagon (the one that looks like there's a seat on the front, not sure it is made anymore). I got a great deal on it at the time (through a co op) and have been very happy with it.

Very sturdy for pulling to stand and walking. The handle doesn't stick out far so it is kind of lined up nicely over the center of gravity of the base of the toy, making it nice and stable (there are other models/brands well designed like this too).

ohsara430
02-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Both my DDs still play with their RF Walker Wagon, but we got it during the 50% off sale so it was only $50. We love it! They push toys around in it, ride in it and push one another, etc. Plus, I like that it's heavy so it doesn't roll away so easily when new walkers try to pull up.

We love our radio flyer walker wagon. DD can't enough of it and our 5 year old nephew likes it too.

WatchingThemGrow
02-26-2011, 07:50 AM
My 3 year old was using it as a wheelchair most of this week. There's still plenty of time for using it.

Melbel
02-26-2011, 09:43 AM
DD2 still enjoys playing with her RF walker wagon too. I liked the look of the Haba walker better, but not the price. I found the RF one for only $55 during an amazon sale in December 2008. I liked the fact that it was not tippy and was steadier due to the wide wheel base and weight. It was also great for the pre-walking phase (DD2 received hers when she was only 6 months old; older siblings loved to push her around in it).

You can track the price here and sign up for an email alert if the price drops: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Walker-Wagon/product/B002KKCNHQ

larig
02-26-2011, 01:08 PM
I have the ikea one. I can't compare it to the others, sadly. When DS, a very late walker, was not walking, I felt that the ikea wagon was too easily pushed (i.e. it gave little resistance to DS) so it didn't support him well. I was constantly afraid he was going to bang his chin on it falling forward as the cart moved. We have wood floors, and I think carpet would have made it better. That said, I thought it was darling, and DS loved it even after he learned how to walk, but the dog HATED it.

star04
02-26-2011, 05:37 PM
We have the Radio Flyer walker wagon and DD did well with it. The wheels have clickers, so it's not TOO rolly - we recently took them off now that she's running around so she can push it better. I also remember reading somewhere that the wagon isn't recommended for outdoor use (like on asphalt) because it messes up the wheels and doesn't ride as smooth anymore..? IDK we've never used it outdoors.

crl
02-26-2011, 06:11 PM
We have the ikea one and it is adorable. But it is not all that stable. Dd is actually walking now, but has yet to push it around (my 7 year old likes it though). I can't compare it to the others, as we have never had them. I am not at all sorry to have bought it for the price and I do think dd will eventually get some use out of it. But, I would not suggest it as a help a baby learn to walk thing since it definitely did not work that way for us.

Catherine

sunnyside
02-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I have the RF wagon for my girl for when she is ready for it. I haven't gotten it out of the box yet. I got it for around $45 during the Amazon sale at Christmas and figured that was good enough for a try before shelling out more for the HABA. Though I love HABA toys and will get that one if I don't like the one I have. I am pretty sure the RF will be great though.

citymama
02-27-2011, 03:36 AM
But, I would not suggest it as a help a baby learn to walk thing since it definitely did not work that way for us.

Catherine

Ita with this. Walkers/walker wagons should not be used for learning to walk. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen. And most babies don't need to be taught to walk. Which makes me wonder - what's the point of a walker wagon? I'll fess up and say that in my case the interest cones from a) thinking the Haba wagon is adorable b) Trying to think up a first bday present for DD2 and c) we don't have a wagon and I figure it's the kind of thing a little kid should have! But maybe we want something bigger and more stable that DD1 can pull DD2 around the backyard in? That would probably not be wooden, maybe more like a RF or even a plastic wagon.

I'm curious what other wagon owning/using moms think, in particular brittone2 who is a PT. Thanks!

citymama
02-27-2011, 03:38 AM
We have and love the Haba walker wagon (the one that looks like there's a seat on the front, not sure it is made anymore). I got a great deal on it at the time (through a co op) and have been very happy with it.

Very sturdy for pulling to stand and walking. The handle doesn't stick out far so it is kind of lined up nicely over the center of gravity of the base of the toy, making it nice and stable (there are other models/brands well designed like this too).

Until what age did your kids play with this?

AnnieW625
02-27-2011, 04:10 AM
For the OP my DD1 didn't walk until she was almost 17 months old. She tried to take a few steps at 15 mos. old, but she just wanted nothing to do with it. She was content crawling until she could do it on her own. My DCP who was a former special ed. teacher said that in most cases if there was no walking until past 18 months then there really isn't much to be concerned about. I am very open minded about childhood milestones though so it didn't bother me much at all that DD1 was a late walker.

My 3 year old was using it as a wheelchair most of this week. There's still plenty of time for using it.

Yay! I was thinking it would get some play use later on in life too.

Ita with this. Walkers/walker wagons should not be used for learning to walk. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen. And most babies don't need to be taught to walk. Which makes me wonder - what's the point of a walker wagon? I'll fess up and say that in my case the interest cones from a) thinking the Haba wagon is adorable b) Trying to think up a first bday present for DD2 and c) we don't have a wagon and I figure it's the kind of thing a little kid should have! But maybe we want something bigger and more stable that DD1 can pull DD2 around the backyard in? That would probably not be wooden, maybe more like a RF or even a plastic wagon.

I'm curious what other wagon owning/using moms think, in particular brittone2 who is a PT. Thanks!

I have exactly the same thoughts as you, and questions for Brittone2. I actually think that the Haba Doll Wagon (http://www.amazon.com/Doll-Stroller-White-with-Flowers/dp/B000OMQCGA/ref=sr_1_15?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1298794102&sr=1-15) is even cuter, but at $170 not so cute.

You might have some better luck in your 'hood finding one of those used because I sure am not going to have much luck because in general LA isn't that crunchy. Now if a celeb. kid is sited at the park with one it might catch on, but honestly I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Oh, if you get the Amazon Visa I believe you can get $30 off the price with your first purchase! I am hoping that I qualify for the $25 GC here soon too because that would bring the price for me if it lets me use my $10 off coupon, and 10% off Amazon mom code all on the same order that would bring it down to $94. .

ahrimie
02-27-2011, 05:05 AM
Until what age did your kids play with this?

My DD is going to be 3 in May and still plays with this! I bought it for her around 10 months or so I want to say--before she could walk unassisted. It's great for that stage and now, she pushes her toys or even sometimes friends :) She'll sit in it too and play with her dolls.

citymama
02-27-2011, 06:05 AM
I have exactly the same thoughts as you, and questions for Brittone2. I actually think that the Haba Doll Wagon (http://www.amazon.com/Doll-Stroller-White-with-Flowers/dp/B000OMQCGA/ref=sr_1_15?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1298794102&sr=1-15) is even cuter, but at $170 not so cute.

Oh, if you get the Amazon Visa I believe you can get $30 off the price with your first purchase! I am hoping that I qualify for the $25 GC here soon too because that would bring the price for me if it lets me use my $10 off coupon, and 10% off Amazon mom code all on the same order that would bring it down to $94. .

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma, b/c one of the reasons the wagon purchase came up is because DH's aunt had offered to buy DD2 a "big" present like she gave DD1 (which was about $100-150) and asked me what we would like her to get. I suggested a walker wagon, and she thought that sounded good but we agreed to wait since she didn't need it yet (this was around the time of her birth) and our place is small. I've talked to her several times since (she lives far away), including updating her about DD's cruising, interest in standing up, but no suggestion from her about the wagon. So now I'm torn between getting it myself and waiting for her to bring it up again! Kitten007 had given us an Albeebaby code that would bring it down to $115 shipped, which is a great price, but I'm going to wait on buying it for now. Will definitely continue to stalk CL.

brittone2
02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
DD and DS2 definitely used the walker wagon to learn to walk. I just supervise when they are first learning, but before long they are walking around the house with it. I don't use it to "teach" them to walk but they certainly start pulling to stand at it and pushing it on their own. I don't remember DD or DS2 having any major catastrophes with it. I feel okay with it for my own kids, but obviously that may be different for other families. I can't remember what DS1 was doing at that age but I know DD and especially DS2 turn anything and everything into a push toy. A laundry basket, a sterilite storage basket from the expedit, my hamper, the (very large, unsteady) vacuum cleaner, etc. all get turned into push toys anyway. In early intervention I did use sturdy push toys to teach kids to walk. With my own kids, they just chose to use it as a tool when they were interested in learning. They saw it and took over from there, at first with supervision and then on their own. IME they don't travel as fast as a child in a walker, and the way they use their muscles to walk with a push toy is different from how they use their muscles in a walker. If it is a steady/sturdy model I haven't noticed the risks of falling to be much different than DS2 pulling to stand at everything (cabinet doors, vertical surfaces like the refrigerator, etc.) and sometimes toppling over.

In terms of how long it is used for, used appropriately or inappropriately?? :bag

DS1 would push DD around on it when she was maybe 2 and they had a lot of fun with that, but it isn't a recommended use, iykwim. DD used it as a doll stroller until she got her maclaren doll stroller, and DS1 was using it yesterday to push a stuffed animal around. I think that's very much a YMMV situation though. On the bright side, I think the resale on the Haba or RF walker wagons would be pretty good.

eta: I was going to give DD the haba walker wagon for her first bday but she walked at 9-10 months and I could see it coming, so we opted to give it to her early. I am stumped on a gift for DS2's first bday but am thinking a Rody Pony to grow into since we've never owned one (I've used them when I was working in EI but we have never owned one ourselves).

DebbieJ
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
LOVE the RF Walker wagon here. Even my 7 yo likes to play with it. I'd go for it. They like to push their stuffed animals in it.

crl
02-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Just wanted to add that I have no opinions about whether it is appropriate for a walker wagon to be used to learn to walk. My comment was aimed at the Ikea wagon specifically. I think it is adorable, but it was not steady enough for dd to use that way. We have never had any of the others.

Catherine

BayGirl2
02-27-2011, 01:28 PM
DS is 20 months and has been walking since 12 months and still likes to play with his RF walker wagon. We store toys in it - anything with wheels, actually. He pushes it around, takes the sides on and off, etc.

I did let a kid take it outside first (before DS was old enough) and it did scuff up the wheels. No functional damage, but its much better as an indoor toy if you want to keep it nice.

brittone2
02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Just wanted to add that I have no opinions about whether it is appropriate for a walker wagon to be used to learn to walk. My comment was aimed at the Ikea wagon specifically. I think it is adorable, but it was not steady enough for dd to use that way. We have never had any of the others.

Catherine

Catherine-
I'm really glad you responded w/ your experience w/ the Ikea wagon. I have always wondered about how well it works, as we have never had a chance to try it with any of our little ones. When people ask for recommendations for a walker wagon I tend to point to Haba and RF, because I know they are sturdy enough for pulling to stand and they are heavy enough that the tend to move at a reasonable speed and aren't super tippy. I'm sure there are less expensive and sturdy options out there but they seem tough to find. I've always wondered about the Ikea one so it is great to have your feedback!

citymama
02-28-2011, 02:43 AM
After seeing this thread I checked out the RF wagon on amazon - and it is really, really cute. I like that it has so much space for carrying toys - or small children! Much more so than the Haba one. Now I'm bummed I missed it on sale for $50 during the holiday sale - can't shell out $80 knowing that! ;) I've seen it on CL for $40-45, and the Haba on CL for $90 (but it has sat at that price for a long time). How do the two compare? I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a deal on either, although I'd love to get one in the next month!

brittone2
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either. When we bought our Haba walker wagon, it was right around the time that all of the recalls for products MIC were going on (big time), and that factored into my decision. I was able to get the Haba for a great price through a co-op at the time, so I went with that. I think the RF is well-liked (I've never used it IRL) and I don't think you can go wrong.

FooMama
03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
After seeing this thread I checked out the RF wagon on amazon - and it is really, really cute. I like that it has so much space for carrying toys - or small children! Much more so than the Haba one. Now I'm bummed I missed it on sale for $50 during the holiday sale - can't shell out $80 knowing that! ;) I've seen it on CL for $40-45, and the Haba on CL for $90 (but it has sat at that price for a long time). How do the two compare? I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a deal on either, although I'd love to get one in the next month!

I applied for an Amazon Visa and it knocked $40 off the price--free shipping, too. Total paid = $40! :applause:

elephantmeg
03-04-2011, 04:51 AM
we got DS one when he was 10 months and it's back in the living roomagain this week-the kids were 'fixing' it with their pretend tools, lol. We love the radio flyer walker wagon! Our kids have used it, my nephew used it between them and its headed to his little brother and then I'll pass it to my brother and his wife (the origional gifter of it!) when they have kids. It still looks brand new. So much fun! All 3 kids practiced walking with it. And each kid has pushed the others in it. We have cute video of DD pushing DS (!) and vice versa.

citymama
03-04-2011, 05:25 AM
I applied for an Amazon Visa and it knocked $40 off the price--free shipping, too. Total paid = $40! :applause:

I already have one! I think I'll just get it used - reuse, recycle, reduce, etc.

sunshine873
03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Another RF Walker Wagon lover here. DD was a late walker, so she got a lot of use out of it. DH would tie a rope to the handle from time to time and we'd pull DD around the house. She loved it! We even took it outside for some walks (I know you're not supposed to) and had no problems whatsoever. DD still plays with it. She'll take the sides out, put toys in there, push them around, etc.

We've graduated now to a big RF wagon for outside, but I don't regret getting the walker wagon. It looks cute sitting in her room as a psuedo toy box too.