PDA

View Full Version : You can take your suggestion that I spend more time with my kids and shove it

DietCokeLover
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Argh... I am so stinking mad right now that I could spit nails. I live in the worst community for children that has ever existed on the planet. We live in the middle of no where. There is NOTHING to do here. And, there is particularly nothing to do here with children.

I called our parks and rec dept this morning to inquire about youth soccer. Yes! They have a program.... call this person. So, I call him. It is for 5 and up. I have a a 4 and 3 year old. He tells me that what he wants to recommend to me is that I spend more one on one time with my kids and not try to involve them in a sport until they are older.

WHAT???? I spend 24/7 with my children. LITERALLY. We have no other activities because there is crap to do here. So, this man lectures me about how at my children's ages what I need to do is play with them and enjoy them. SERIOUSLY dude? What do you think I do all day? Throw 'em out in the woods and then call them home for bed at night?

Sir, you know where you can stick your soccer ball.

boolady
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I would be beyond p*ssed. Beyond.

TwinFoxes
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
I would have lost it. And what, did he think you were going to give the keys to your car to drive themselves to practice and games while you were drinking cocktails and watching Oprah?

liamsmom
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I would be beyond p*ssed. Beyond.

:yeahthat: I have no other words...Sorry that happened. I am angry on your behalf.

AshleyAnn
02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I'd want his manager's name and telephone number. How dare he assume you don't spend enough time "enjoying your children" because you are interested in involving them in a group activity.

DietCokeLover
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks y'all. I'm still steaming over this.

ThreeofUs
02-24-2011, 02:14 PM
What a JERK. As if no other community in the world has soccer (with PLENTY of parent participation, might I add) for little kids.

I'd be well and truly p!ssed. And writing a letter to this idiot's supervisor.

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Am I allowed to say bastard on here? I think that jerk is too nice.

Beth

arivecchi
02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
What a rude @-hole!

elektra
02-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Unbelievable! I would have been so pissed too!

Melaine
02-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Beth

:yeahthat: I would call the rec or wherever you got his number and let them know about this. I would be just as mad!! That's crazy.

What. A. Freak.

gobadgers
02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Wow, how totally oblivious of him. He's never met you and knows nothing about you! I'm so mad for you.

momm
02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Wow - what a presumptuous S-O-B

I hope you complain to his manager

bisous
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry! He so misjudged you, though. You know you are a fabulous mama. I hope you find some fun activities for your kids!

golightly1118
02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
What a smug, sexist jack-hole. I would be beyond livid and asking to speak to his supervisor-who the hell is he to be lecturing a mother about spending time with her kids?!

Melanie
02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
OH geez. He does not know your life! That's rude.

vludmilla
02-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Whoa. That is shockingly stupid and offensive.

DebbieJ
02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Seriously? Wow, that was so out of line!

Canna
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
That sounds so crazy...is it remotely possible that he was making an ill-expressed sports recommendation like:

"If you want to help your kids enjoy soccer, practicing with the ball one-on-one with them is more helpful and fun than group activities at this age?"

rather than a general parenting recommendation?

Part of the reason I ask is because we tried a soccer class for ages 5 and up when DD#1 was 4 years-old and we found that she got really frustrated with the drill aspect of it. She hated waiting in line for a turn (which sometimes took a long time, followed by a short spurt with the ball). She just wanted to run around and kick her soccer ball. So we ended up doing that with her in our backyard. So for us, the advice would have been very true if it were soccer-specific. :D

DietCokeLover
02-24-2011, 10:28 PM
That sounds so crazy...is it remotely possible that he was making an ill-expressed sports recommendation like:

"If you want to help your kids enjoy soccer, practicing with the ball one-on-one with them is more helpful and fun than group activities at this age?"

rather than a general parenting recommendation?

Part of the reason I ask is because we tried a soccer class for ages 5 and up when DD#1 was 4 years-old and we found that she got really frustrated with the drill aspect of it. She hated waiting in line for a turn (which sometimes took a long time, followed by a short spurt with the ball). She just wanted to run around and kick her soccer ball. So we ended up doing that with her in our backyard. So for us, the advice would have been very true if it were soccer-specific. :D

I could have received that positively if that was his intent, but his tone does not lead me to that conclusion. I think he had some sort of issue or bias that just came screaming through at me unfortunately.

Canna
02-24-2011, 10:48 PM
I could have received that positively if that was his intent, but his tone does not lead me to that conclusion. I think he had some sort of issue or bias that just came screaming through at me unfortunately.

Sorry. :( I hate it when people are mean for no apparent reason. It always shocks me and freaks me out.

MontrealMum
02-24-2011, 10:54 PM
You have every right to be ticked, that was way out of line. What a douchebag!

hellokitty
02-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Wow, that's pretty condescending of him to say that to you w/o knowing you at ALL! You have every right to be PO'd. Not to cause trouble, but I would actually report him for that comment, it's unprofessional, esp if he says that to every parent with kids under age 5.

MamaMolly
02-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Oh good grief. He doesn't even know you. What an obnoxious thing to say!

blue
02-25-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm sorry! He so misjudged you, though. You know you are a fabulous mama. I hope you find some fun activities for your kids!

:yeahthat:

kijip
02-25-2011, 02:19 AM

Beth

Word UP. Lorry, I would have bitch slapped him through the phone if I could have.

Op, I am soooo sorry. He is a clueless, and sounds like rather useless, parks and rec person.