PDA

View Full Version : Hair Extensions?

JoyNChrist
02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
I've decided to grow my hair out. It's been super short for years, but I want to give long hair a try (I honestly can't even remember what it's like to be able to put my hair in a ponytail).

So anyway, now it's in that weird, too long to fix like a short haircut but too short to fix like a long haircut stage. And it's driving me CRAZY.

I'm wondering about getting hair extensions to get me through the growing out phase. But I don't even know if that's possible. The only people I've ever known to get extensions got them for a specific event (like a wedding), then took them out.

Is it possible to have them for a longer time? Do they wash like regular hair?

I'm assuming this would be pretty expensive. Anybody have an idea about cost?

It feels a little extravagant to be even thinking about this (I am such a low-manintenance person when it comes to hair and makeup and stuff), but my hair is really driving me crazy and I'm trying to resist the urge to chop it all off again.

ETA - My hair is pretty fine and thin, if that matters.

HIU8
02-24-2011, 02:26 PM
No experience with extensions. I'm in the growing out phase. I've been growing out short hair since November. I'm at the bobbed stage now. I've done this about 5 times in my life. It's annoying, but so worth it in the end. Do not chop it off.

vejemom
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
The extensions you have woven in by a stylist are expensive - like $1000 in my area. However, my stylist just told me about these clip in extensions they sell at beauty supply places. They're real hair; can be cut, colored, etc. They cost about $100. I was going to give those a try. I have long hair, but I want to go longer and it just stops growing at a point.

AJP
02-24-2011, 07:53 PM
The salon extensions will also have to be adjusted every 4-6 weeks. They would probably need to be removed and re-done before your hair grows out enough.
I had mine removed after 3 months and a few adjustments, but know people who have had the a lot longer. As long as you get someone who has experience and can be meticulous when putting them in and adjusting, they can last.
They do wash like regular hair (mine were human hair) and you can style, curl, etc.
Yes, they can be very $$$$ and you have the expense of adjusting them.
My hair is fine but I have a decent amount of it and it was pretty long when I got the ext's. I had a lot of pieces added. It looked amazing, but I didn't like how it looked straight. I had to curl/wave it to wear down.
As far as the ones at beauty supply places, my Sally's carries the Euronext brand that I loved as a clip in and were recommended by my stylist like PP. I love that you don't have to wash/dry them and you just style your hair and clip them in! Pretty low cost compared to the salon option and the quality is pretty decent too.