PDA

View Full Version : Summer Infant Best View Monitor?

Blackbird711
02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
We'd like to get a digital video monitor - digital is important to us because we live in a densley populated area and I've heard too many stories of interference from non-digital video monitors. I can't imagine seeing another kid on our screen - or knowing that another family is seeing ours :-(

In any case, we're trying to spend $200 or less and it seems like the Summer Infant Best View has relatively good reviews on Amazon.

Does anyone have a Best View and feel comfortable commenting on it? Or recommend another digital video monitor that you think is great?

Thanks!

bigbluedad
02-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I have the Best View and can comment that it is awesome.

I had the Sony BabyCall (non-video) prior to this monitor and even though it was audio only it suffered from horrible interference and squeaking. Part of that may have been because I love tech gadgets and have probably a dozen or so different wireless things plugged in around the house.

I got the Best View and was skeptical at first. I can honestly say that it has never lost a signal or made any static/squeaking noises in the 12 or so months that we have had it.

The picture is not HD by any means but gets the job done. You can zoom in and pan around the room which is a nice feature.

I actually just ordered a second camera today as we are having another baby. So now we'll have 2 camera which can be selected on the monitor as to which one we want to view.

Caveat --- I was on the Summer Infant website today and noticed that they have a BRAND NEW and improved Best View. I would make sure that you try to get the latest and greatest unless you find a great deal on last year's (mine) model.

Blackbird711
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh it's great to know there's a new one out. Maybe I'll call Summer Infant and ask what the improvements are. I'm always hesitate to buy a newly launched or upgraded product as you never know how it will be, but it does always depend on how they've changed it.

Blackbird711
03-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Bump... anyone else have thoughts or experiences they can share?

jbbhb
03-08-2011, 12:57 AM
I have and we love it. Ditto to the PP responses.

My thoughts...

It is not HD by any means but it definitely does the job.

One thing of note is that it is only color when the lights are on in the room (this is true of all night vision monitors). I don't know about anyone else but I pretty much only use it when my baby is sleeping and the lights are off. I don't mind this at all, but it would be surprising if you didn't know ahead of time.

I have mine mounted to a little decorative box with a can of soup inside to weigh the box down (I can try and take a pic tomorrow if you are interested). This allows me to pan the room completely without permanently mounting to my wall. If you just set the monitor on a shelf you may not be able to pan down very far.

Battery life is great. We charge it at night and use it all day without recharging. I often forget to turn it off after naps and it still has battery life at the end of the day.

The only negative we have noticed is that it does interfere with our wireless internet. We solved this by upgrading our very old wireless router to a dual band that simultaneously broadcasts 2.4 and 5 ghz. The monitor runs on 2.4ghz band so as long as we connect our laptop to the 5 ghz we are fine. If I try and connect my phone, or any other device that isn't capable of 5ghz connection I have to turn the monitor off. I've heard this is very hit or miss so just save your receipt until you know how yours will work in your house. ETA: I think this would be the case with any digital monitor.

Overall we are very pleased with the monitor. Oh, and we don't have the new version, I bought mine last July I believe.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Penny's Pappa
03-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Or recommend another digital video monitor that you think is great?

Thanks!

We have the Summer Infant Slim&Secure. It works very well. Night vision is pretty good. It doesn't pan like the Best View seems to do, but that hasn't been an issue for us.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.