PDA

View Full Version : I am a social media idiot

kijip
02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Are Linkedin and Twitter now owned by the same people?

My tweets are now being fed directly to my Linkedin profile and to my connections' Linkedin feeds and I never set this up or consciously linked them. Which is not much of an issue considering I basically only use these things just for work (no unprofessional tweets about personal stuff etc) but I would rather not have them linked. I use Linkedin for some professional development volunteer work I do plus my alum association and networking with my colleagues at other non-profits and local businesses. Not always the best fit for my personal tweets. I searched the Q&A on Linkedin and did not find what I was looking for.

Do any of you social media mavens know how to cut the connection? Or, for a super advanced answer, perhaps how to link my linkedin to my ORGANZATIONs twitter feed rather than my own personal one?

Can I just say again that social media is like an invasive unnative plant to me?

daisymommy
02-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, I guess that would make me an even bigger social media idiot, since I don't even have a clue what Linkedin is ;).

Jo..
02-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Excuse me? God Bless you.

I am also a big idiot since I have no clue what this is about.

LMPC
02-24-2011, 10:09 PM
:ROTFLMAO: You guys make me laugh!

I don't use either of them...but it seems as though they now have a partnership..
http://blog.linkedin.com/2009/11/09/allen-blue-twitter-and-linkedin-go-together-like-peanut-butter-and-chocolate/

Probably why you are getting the tweets!

kristenk
02-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Don't know if this really helps, but it's a place to start:

"Join your accounts and all sorts of wonderful things will happen. You can paint a broader picture of your professional interests and ideas by making your Twitter ID appear right on your LinkedIn profile.

To add your Twitter account, visit “Edit My Profile” and click “Add Twitter account” next to the Twitter field. Twitter will ask you to verify your account name and password. Once the account is verified, you’ll be asked how you’d like to share your tweets on LinkedIn (see below). Note that once your accounts are joined, you can change this setting at any time by clicking “Edit” next to your Twitter account name.

Note that in order to send tweets from Twitter to LinkedIn, your Twitter account must be set as public. Make sure the “Protect my tweets” box is not checked in your Twitter Settings."

I'm guessing that removing your twitter account from linkedin would be the way to go. Now, if they're not connected there...who knows.

kijip
02-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Don't know if this really helps, but it's a place to start:

Thank you. I was searching the Linked in Answer Center and apparently, it was in Learning. So intuitive! Ugh.

I assumed that there would be twitter settings in my linkedin profile but the only way I found to access my twitter settings was via the link in the learning center, quite outside my account settings. It let me switch it to my work twitter account pretty easily. I assume there are some glitches with the partnership because it pulls rather random tweets, not always the most recent and not all of them at all.

Linkedin is a professional/career centered social networking site. People post their work histories etc. It is helpful for job seekers but I got dragged in because of the group features for a professional association I have to stay active in.

This board can help a girl find ANYTHING it would seem. Thanks again, uber smart BBB!