PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use "the crystal" deodorant?

bisous
02-24-2011, 10:48 PM
A friend of mine recommended it as a healthier alternative to anti-perspirant. She said she never had a problem with odor.

Weelll, I can't say I'm exactly having the same experience. It is "winter" here in so cal (although often in the 70s if not 80s) and still I have "odor" issues. I don't think it is overpowering or super strong but it just bothers me not to smell "shower clean" anymore, lol.

I also worry about our very hot summers where our temps are often in the 90s/100s. I also tend to be the type to perspire (in my underarms) very heavily.

The upside is I've found less annoying staining in my white shirts. That alone makes me consider sticking with this product.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips or wanted to opine about being okay being smelly, lol. :)

LMPC
02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
I tried the crystal deo once...unfortunately, it didn't work for me and I was still smelly :(

bubbaray
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
It gave me a yeast infection in my armpits. Wow, now THAT was fun.

Oh yeah, and I was still stinky.

s7714
02-25-2011, 12:18 AM
I used one for years and introduced DH to it. I'm thrilled we no longer end up with big crusty, yellow stains on DH's t-shirts, but he does often apply it 2 or 3 times a day.

I'm inclined to say there's an adjustment period for your body to get used to it. Seems like it took a good two weeks or so for it to really work properly. I've heard other people saying similar things on MDC saying it's like a detox period or something.

I do admit however that on the hottest days of summer I have a stick of regular antiperspirant/deodorant on hand, because when it's over 100 degrees the crystal stick alone just doesn't cut it for me.

firemama
02-25-2011, 01:20 AM
I have tried the crystal, kiss my face liquid crystal and tom's of maine deoderant. I gave the crystal a good month, but I still smelled. Same with the liquid crystal. Tom's deoderant, I got in apricot, and yep, I still smell.

I tried re-applying the crystal or liquid crystal, but it didn't seem to help unless I washed my armpit with a washcloth before re-applying. This was very annoying and not very convenient... The Tom's of Maine lasts a little longer, but by the time I feed my DD her last feeding before bed, I smell already.

One problem I know I have is I eat low-carb or no carbs. And somewhere I heard bad BO is a side effect of eating low carb. So I googled it and it is true. I just deal with it. If I have time to re-apply, I do.

So you're not alone. HTH!

bisous
02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for chiming in guys! I guess I'm not alone. I've given this product a couple of months and I'm still having problems. I think I might keep it and see if I can just use for day to day and when I'm wearing my nicest clothes or if it is very warm, I'll rely more on my regular anti-perspirant!

brittone2
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
The smell comes from bacteria in your armpits. So while you are transitioning from a regular product, I would use something like witchhazel on a cosmetic round or in a spray bottle under your arms a few times a day. Every time you do that you knock the bacteria count back down. THen respray/reapply your deodorant. After you get through the initial adjustment it usually works pretty well. I use the crystal spray and nature's gate deod. (lemongrass). They won't really keep you from sweating though. DH has gotten yeasty in the past when he tried to transition to a different product, so he's still using conventional deodorant/antiperspirant.

I know the cosmetic rounds thing is a pain but if you do that something like 2x a day or so in the beginning it will help with the transition. You could premoisten with witch hazel and keep in a ziplock. I'll do this on the hottest days of the summer when I pop into the bathroom and wash my hands, I'll just do a quick underarm swipe and reapply my deodorant.

I've never heard the low carb connection...is it only in ketosis that it is a problem? I've never had that happen and we eat pretty low carb/paleo here.

bubbaray
02-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I did the witch hazel thing, it made no difference for me. I've never had a problem with yeast otherwise (don't get YIs, never had thrush while nursing, etc). I don't eat particularly low carb (though I do generally eat low GI)

MommyAllison
02-25-2011, 11:52 PM
I have tried a couple of brands - the first worked great and I loved it. The one I have now, meh, not working very well, therefore I *dont* love it! I actually just ordered a WAHM deodorant to try. I'm trying to avoid aluminum, so don't feel like I can go back to regular drugstore deo/ap. This is the one I ordered: http://hyenacart.com/EarthMuffin/mt/237/45227/Clean-n-Natural-Deodorant-Vanilla-Grapefriut-All-

boltfam
02-26-2011, 01:16 AM
I have tried a couple of brands - the first worked great and I loved it. The one I have now, meh, not working very well, therefore I *dont* love it! I actually just ordered a WAHM deodorant to try. I'm trying to avoid aluminum, so don't feel like I can go back to regular drugstore deo/ap. This is the one I ordered: http://hyenacart.com/EarthMuffin/mt/237/45227/Clean-n-Natural-Deodorant-Vanilla-Grapefriut-All-

That looks nice, and I find the price reasonable. Deoderant was one of the last things for me to switch because I hate stinking. I tried the Tom's of Maine and stunk. I popped into my local health food store and the SA said people dono't usually have stink issues with this product. I tried it and LOVE it! It is expensive, though, so I'm interested in seeing if the one MommyAllison posted works (though I know it can vary from person to person).

http://www.realpurity.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=28

brittone2
02-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I did the witch hazel thing, it made no difference for me. I've never had a problem with yeast otherwise (don't get YIs, never had thrush while nursing, etc). I don't eat particularly low carb (though I do generally eat low GI)
Well the yeast thing is from the moisture obviously, which is pretty common when you aren't really using an antiperspirant, since most of the natural products function more as a deodorant.

The witch hazel won't prevent the moisture (and therefore the yeast if you are prone to it) but it will help some people with the smell as they transition.

MommyAllison
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
That looks nice, and I find the price reasonable. Deoderant was one of the last things for me to switch because I hate stinking. I tried the Tom's of Maine and stunk. I popped into my local health food store and the SA said people dono't usually have stink issues with this product. I tried it and LOVE it! It is expensive, though, so I'm interested in seeing if the one MommyAllison posted works (though I know it can vary from person to person).

http://www.realpurity.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=28

I'll post back w/how it works for me! I literally just ordered it yesterday, so it'll be a few days before it gets here.

AnnieW625
02-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I have never used the Crystal deoderant, but I went from regular deodorant to Toms of Maine all natural deodorant without any issues at all. I used it for many years until I decided that I was just much more comfortable using Degree. I work in an office where the heating and cooling system is often out of whack which is why I reverted back to regular deodorant. If I worked at home here in So Cal I could most likely get away with using Toms all year round.

essnce629
02-27-2011, 05:15 AM
Plain coconut oil works great as a natural deodorant! Coconut oil is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I can apply it at night after my shower and I don't smell at all the next day (even when I forget to reapply in the morning). I buy my coconut oil from Amazon (you want it to be unrefined). It's the best natural deodorant I've ever tried. I tried the crystal and it worked great at first but then the actual crystal itself started smelling like B.O!

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5Q64

brittone2
02-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Plain coconut oil works great as a natural deodorant! Coconut oil is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I can apply it at night after my shower and I don't smell at all the next day (even when I forget to reapply in the morning). I buy my coconut oil from Amazon (you want it to be unrefined). It's the best natural deodorant I've ever tried. I tried the crystal and it worked great at first but then the actual crystal itself started smelling like B.O!

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5Q64

I use this sometimes too and agree that it works. I :heartbeat: coconut oil.

pinkmomagain
03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I am wondering if the coconut oil stains clothing?

DrSally
03-01-2011, 09:21 PM
OK, am I the only one who *never* wears deodorant? I just don't sweat in my armpits and (I don't think) I smell. So, I've never used D/O. Maybe as a teen b/c everyone else was doing it, but then realized there was no reason.

I do tend to prespire a lot on my feet in the summer (bought the spray recommended by Bubbaray). I don't know which I prefer!

firemama
03-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I am wondering if the coconut oil stains clothing?

I doubt it. It is very clear so I don't think it will stain. I tried it today (we have some because we use it on DD's diaper rash - which works wonders too) and so far it has worked great as a deoderant!

OK, am I the only one who *never* wears deodorant? I just don't sweat in my armpits and (I don't think) I smell. So, I've never used D/O. Maybe as a teen b/c everyone else was doing it, but then realized there was no reason.

I do tend to prespire a lot on my feet in the summer (bought the spray recommended by Bubbaray). I don't know which I prefer!

You are soooo lucky! I sweat in my armpits AND smell. Wish I didn't have to use deoderant! My feet perspire too. What spray do you use?

DrSally
03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Dr. Scholl's odor eater spray (for men) was recommended, so I bought some. Haven't had to use it yet b/c it's still winter here. I only sweat in shoes when I go sockless. I can't wait to see if this will allow me to wear cute ballet flats w/no socks.

MommyAllison
03-02-2011, 12:08 AM

My mom never did either! You're not alone. :)

boltfam
03-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Oh, I'm jealous!

pinkmomagain
03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Just wanted to add another option. I recently picked this up:
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2825744920 47809&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524444841003&R=3700194707934&P_name=Kiehl%27s+Since+1851&sid=12E78D4249C0&Ntt=kiehl%27s+deodorant&N=0&bmUID=iVRLpgO

Tried it this morning. So far so good...included an hour-long walk this afternoon and it's still holding up with no odor.

ETA: I do see there is some form of aluminum in it though, so not sure how truly au naturale it is.......

DrSally
03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
My mom never did either! You're not alone. :)

Well, at least I know I'm not a freak :rotflmao: