PDA

View Full Version : Al vs G-Luxe vs Onyx

ahrimie
02-25-2011, 01:50 AM
I think I've posted Q's about strollers nearly everyday.. :( I'm SO sorry! But I think I've finally narrowed it all down and now have a much clearer understanding of what I want/need after trying some out today.

Want:
lightweight, lighter than the Bee, easy fold (preferably one handed), will be used for travel a few times a year, mostly an everyday mall type stroller, high seatback for tall toddler, would love bigger canopy but willing to budge on this a bit, easy push (I realize it won't be as nice as my Bugs but as long as it's decent, I'm ok), small footprint front to back and all around, snack tray option would be nice but not a deal breaker, would like the option to use with newborn but again not a deal breaker since I could use the Bee for DD2

After doing a long and big search on the boards, I found arrivechi recommended this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250706630805#rpdId (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=250706630805#rpdId)

I didn't get to see a "Ryder" or "Al Thurston" (are they the same??), G-Luxe, Onyx. After reading the posts, I think either of these is THE one for me. I liked the Techno but it felt a bit wide. I like the size of the Quest but the extra sturdiness from the Techno. DD liked the BJCM best but I feel like it's a bit big front to back.. but maybe it's just the illusion of a huge canopy??

So where do I go from here? Which is best for me? Please help unpack some of this for me... pretty please! :waving4:

crl
02-25-2011, 02:51 AM
I have a 2009 Onyx. Unless they have changed the fold, it is not one handed. It takes me both hands and one foot to do it and I think it is annoying. It is the stroller's worst feature, IMO.

It meets the rest of your criteria (canopy is okay for an umbrella, but not great, no snack tray, good for newborn, reasonably light, good for travel/mall, high seat back, small footprint) and despite the fold I like it quite well.

Catherine

roseyloxs
02-25-2011, 09:18 AM
The Al and Four Seasons will be me similar but have small differences. Each object of design seems to have its own quirks about it. They are both supposed to be excellent though.

In an effort to confuse you more have you seen the recent reviews (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=390033) of the Maclaren Starck (the object of design from '06).

crl
02-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh, an Al Thurston is one version of a Ryder as I understand it.

Catherine

roseyloxs
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh, an Al Thurston is one version of a Ryder as I understand it.

Catherine

yes. I made that sound confusing didn't I? The four seasons and Al Thurston are both Ryders. So the frame and wheels should be the same but the recline, canopy and accessories could all be slightly different.

poohbear
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Albert Thurston is a Ryder as is Four Seasons - accessories are different.
Al has a near full recline (can be used with a newborn) and a suspension.
It is pretty close to the Techno in features but is closer in size to a Quest/Triumph. It is slightly taller than a triumph. I had pictures comparing the two somewhere, I'd have to find them...

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 11:44 AM
After doing a long and big search on the boards, I found arrivechi recommended this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250706630805#rpdId (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?</p><p>ViewItem&item=250706630805#rpdId)

I didn't get to see a "Ryder" or "Al Thurston" (are they the same??), G-Luxe, Onyx. After reading the posts, I think either of these is THE one for me. I liked the Techno but it felt a bit wide. I like the size of the Quest but the extra sturdiness from the Techno. DD liked the BJCM best but I feel like it's a bit big front to back.. but maybe it's just the illusion of a huge canopy??

So where do I go from here? Which is best for me? Please help unpack some of this for me... pretty please! :waving4: Sounds like you would love a Ryder, which is in between the Techno and Quest size-wise. The Albert Thurston model is great because it comes loaded with accessories, has a very plush seat and full recline. The push is great for an umbrella stroller. To top it off, it is a gorgeous stroller. A lot of us got them from Gilt for $193. You can find a lightly used one on strollerswap or strollerista. The Four Seasons is a Ryder as well but has different accessories.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Four-Seasons-2008-Stroller-Brand-New-/250706630805?pt=Strollers&hash=item3a5f479895

Another cool choice would be the Inglesina Avio, which is currently on sale at diapers.com.

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=87411

mackmama
02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I chose the G-Luxe because I wanted the lightest weight possible. I did not want an umbrella that felt tippy, and I wanted larger tires.

ahrimie
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
In an effort to confuse you more have you seen the recent reviews (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=390033) of the Maclaren Starck (the object of design from '06).

Oh so cruel! :P
I read that review but if it's being compared to the Volo, it's not for me. I want a more substantial feel for a stroller. Plus, a nearly flat recline option for baby 2 if I so choose.

Sounds like you would love a Ryder, which is in between the Techno and Quest size-wise

Is this less tippy than the Quest? That's why I preferred the Techno and not the Triumph/Quest.

chose the G-Luxe because I wanted the lightest weight possible. I did not want an umbrella that felt tippy, and I wanted larger tires.

I want lightweight but having it be the *lightest* isn't that important. As long as it's less than the Bee, I'm fine. But I DO want something that's not tippy.

How do these baskets compare? I want/need a big and easy to access basket too.

I literally could not SLEEP thinking about all of these options ALL night. Good thing it's out 5th year wedding anniv so DH took the day off and we were supposed to have a family outing. Well.. the extra snow last night and my sleep sched ruined our plans. But now I'm *one* step closer to finding the right stroller!! :cheerleader1:

crl
02-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary! The Onxy basket isn't much. I'd say typical of an umbrella. I love my skip hop saddle bags though so I don't mind.

Catherine

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Ryders are not as tippy but the baskets are small - typical for an umbrella stroller.

wallawala
02-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I have the Ryder (Al Thurston) and love it, but do feel it's a bit tippy. At least a little more than the Gluxe. I carry a totally overloaded diaper bag though and lots of grocery bags too, so not really fair (I have tipped my BOB)

The G-luxe is really nice. Almost bought it, but the local store couldn't get it in the color I wanted for a few months. While I was waiting, AL showed up on Gilt, and it's been true love ever since.... it's the size/weight of the quest but had the extra features of the triump-- for me the best of both worlds. And while there are lots of different designers who have done versions of the Ryder... Al seems to be the most 'reasonable' (ie most features at base price). Only thing that might top Al in my book is the Burberry edition of the Ryder done several years ago and not availble... but I have a burberry addiction.. :wink2:

I never seen the onyx so can help you there, but differences in the Gluxe and Ryder are mainly the fold (wheels don't hit canopy on Gluxe and can stand folded), fabric material, and styling. Don't think you'd go wrong with either!

Multimama
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Oh so cruel! :P
I read that review but if it's being compared to the Volo, it's not for me. I want a more substantial feel for a stroller. Plus, a nearly flat recline option for baby 2 if I so choose.

Just wanted to hop in and say that the Starck is a very substantial stroller. As substantial as any other umbrella out there and I have a ryder so I know what I'm talking about. :)

But no recline for your new baby so probably not for you. But wanted to clear that up for any lurkers so my lovely Starck doesn't get a bad reputation!

ahrimie
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
I have the Ryder (Al Thurston) and love it, but do feel it's a bit tippy. At least a little more than the Gluxe. I carry a totally overloaded diaper bag though and lots of grocery bags too, so not really fair (I have tipped my BOB)

The G-luxe is really nice. Almost bought it, but the local store couldn't get it in the color I wanted for a few months. While I was waiting, AL showed up on Gilt, and it's been true love ever since.... it's the size/weight of the quest but had the extra features of the triump-- for me the best of both worlds. And while there are lots of different designers who have done versions of the Ryder... Al seems to be the most 'reasonable' (ie most features at base price). Only thing that might top Al in my book is the Burberry edition of the Ryder done several years ago and not availble... but I have a burberry addiction.. :wink2:

I never seen the onyx so can help you there, but differences in the Gluxe and Ryder are mainly the fold (wheels don't hit canopy on Gluxe and can stand folded), fabric material, and styling. Don't think you'd go wrong with either!

Is the basket bigger on the G-Luxe than the Ryder? Just to clarify, I would be getting the Four Seasons Ryder due to the price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250706630805#rpdId

I have tipped my Cam before, so I know what you mean! :rotflmao: That's when DD was an infant though and I don't pack as much now.

Another cool choice would be the Inglesina Avio, which is currently on sale at diapers.com.

http://www.diapers.com/product/produ...roductid=87411

This isn't on sale... is there a different link?

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 05:44 PM
This isn't on sale... is there a different link? The red Avio is on sale with code stroller20. Check the diapers.com sale thread that poohbear posted.

poohbear
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
The four seasons is a great deal because of all the accessories included. My Ryder is less tippy than my Triumph, however it is still more tippy than my BJCM. You may be able to hang a diaper bag on it, but if your LO hops out, it will tip... The ryder is a great stroller.

According to strollerqueen and nmstrong, the avio is an amazing stroller as well... Google strollerqueen avio review.

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Just as a PSA, I was able to hang my Skip Hop Studio on the bottom of the frame (AL) and it did not tip the stroller! The lower center of gravity helps a lot!

wallawala
02-26-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd have to go look again, but as I recall the basket size/accessibility is virtually the same on the Gluxe and Ryder. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

That's a great deal on the 4 seasons. It was way more than that when I was shopping so I never considered very hard... other than, "wow... so pretty. OMG look at that price tag!"
It's definately a GREAT stroller, and love the color combo/accessories.

I LOVE the footmuff on Ryders! Have used it sooo much and get lots of compliments.

For that price I'd get the 4 seasons in a heartbeat. I think the biggest arguments between the Glux and Ryder is going to be like arguing between Coke and Pepsi. Some people wouldn't notice or care... I'm a Coke person myself (Maclaren fan). The 4 seasons is a little like buying a Coke, but extra glasses, a t-shirt, and a bottle opener come with it.

I really like the suspension and "driveability" that comes with the Ryder (over a quest/triumph), and don't know how that compares with the Gluxe, especially for a toddler. When I was shopping DD was still an infant (15lbs or so), and I hear you really notice handling for heavier kids (like 30lbs).
I'm a drive the stroller with one hand, juggle briefcase, groceries, everything else with the other, so to be able to steer with one hand is sooo key for me.

poohbear
02-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I think the biggest arguments between the Glux and Ryder is going to be like arguing between Coke and Pepsi. Some people wouldn't notice or care... I'm a Coke person myself (Maclaren fan). The 4 seasons is a little like buying a Coke, but extra glasses, a t-shirt, and a bottle opener come with it.

Such a good way to put this! Like many "arguments" on this board (BOB vs. MB vs. Valco vs. Baby Jogger, Cam vs. Vista, Mac vs. Uppa vs. Cybex), much of it comes down to personal preference - you really won't go wrong with either - you just may like one better than the other ;)

ahrimie
02-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Sounds like you would love a Ryder, which is in between the Techno and Quest size-wise. The Albert Thurston model is great because it comes loaded with accessories, has a very plush seat and full recline. The push is great for an umbrella stroller. To top it off, it is a gorgeous stroller. A lot of us got them from Gilt for $193. You can find a lightly used one on strollerswap or strollerista. The Four Seasons is a Ryder as well but has different accessories.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Four-Seasons-2008-Stroller-Brand-New-/250706630805?pt=Strollers&hash=item3a5f479895

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=87411

How do we sign up for Strollerista? I wouldn't mind a clean but used Al.

I looked at the Avio and saw a youtube review. It's nice but seems really similar to the Bee, plus it's a lot more in price.

So now I'm on the hunt for a G Luxe or Al. Any deals??

PS. You mamas are THE BEST. You've solved my stroller problem AND my insomnia :)

ahrimie
02-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I just wish there were more stores that actually carried them so you COULD try them out IRL. Not being able to see, touch, and feel them is just agonizing! We used to have some upscale baby stores but they've all gone out of business in the last 2 years :( So only BBB and BRU that I know of.

3sweetgirls
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
So is the Maclaren Four Seasons a Ryder and it says it reclines for a newborn but is the recline more than that of a Triumph?

arivecchi
03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Yes. Ryders recline more than Triumphs. My Al Ryder has almost full recline.