PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think About Buying Strollers On Ebay, Reputable or Not?

msuarez919
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm not really talking about individuals who are selling a stroller their child has outgrown but the huge power sellers who mostly sell baby gear. I've heard that some people get items that have serial numbers removed so that the manufacturer warranty is void. Why? It seems so shady and makes me not want to purchase through them (what would happen in the event of a recall?). But their prices make it seriously tempting. I was wondering if anyone had any luck with these sellers and which ones. Any recommendations? Any run as fast as you can away from? I'm in the market for a Peg Perego Pliko P3 stroller and I see them going for about $150-$180 for the 2008-2010 models. Considering what people charge on ebay and CL for used ones ($80-$200), it seems like a good deal but again, is it more of a headache in the long run? I should also note that I've seen the P3 they have on Albeebaby right now... there is no way I will get a stroller in that highlighter yellow color. It already looks dirty and this stroller is going to have some mileage put on it and thrown in the trunk. I've also seen one on Amazon (I LOVE Amazon) for $190 in Tango (but I really hate that red and grey color, too). I know I'm being picky but for this type of money (for a stroller no less) I should be .

poohbear
02-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Depends on the seller - some sellers have warranties on their products because they are authorized sellers, some are not (some stores like babycatalog, albee, etc sell their open box and closeouts through their ebay stores - many of these items have warranties still).

The best option would be to send a message to the seller and ask if their stroller comes with a factory warranty and if they are an authorized seller. If they're not, it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to risk it.

Generally for a recall, I would guess you can get what you would need regardless as it is a safety issue. You should not need to be an original owner or show proof of purchase for most recall issues. (ie for the BOB recall they asked for the serial number, etc, but I'm sure if you called and said that you were not the original owner and didn't have the serial number, they would not withhold a retrofit kit from you.)

HTH!

Blackbird711
02-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I would pay very careful attention to seller feedback, number of transactions, and specifically the number of strollers they have sold. If all of those are high, then you're more likely to be working with someone reputable who wants you to have a good experience so you don't tarnish their image. If it's a new seller with little or not good feedback who hasn't sold many strollers, I would stay away. Also carefully read the fine print about returns and warranties. And if you email a question and never hear back, DO NOT BID. That's a bad sign.

Just the other day I saw an ebay seller that had posted a Bugaboo Frog and used a photo of what was VERY clearly an Uppababy Vista. Who knows what would actually arrive in that box! That's an obvious example, but that's the kind of stuff some crummy people do. So just research the seller very carefully and you should be fine - and always pay with paypal as it provides another level of protection against shodder sellers.

msuarez919
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Very true about the recall kits...still, nice to know it wouldn't be an issue in the event something breaks or there is a major recall...I'm going to email these sellers and ask about warranties and serial numbers and such and hopefully I'll feel a bit more confident purchasing from them, thanks so much everybody!

Kaylee31
02-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I would pay very careful attention to seller feedback, number of transactions, and specifically the number of strollers they have sold. If all of those are high, then you're more likely to be working with someone reputable who wants you to have a good experience so you don't tarnish their image. If it's a new seller with little or not good feedback who hasn't sold many strollers, I would stay away. Also carefully read the fine print about returns and warranties. And if you email a question and never hear back, DO NOT BID. That's a bad sign.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
I can say I've made about 100 purchases on Ebay (mostly small things) and I've never had a bad experience buying something yet (knock on wood ;) ). I only buy from sellers w/98% or higher positive feedback. I've bought two NIB strollers, both had their serial #'s and date of manufacture on them; they were shipped w/in a day; and the sellers had great communication. (BuggiesforBabies: http://myworld.ebay.com/buggiesforbabies/ and Baby Product Store http://myworld.ebay.com/babyproductstore/ )

msuarez919
02-26-2011, 12:29 PM
:yeahthat::yeahthat:
I can say I've made about 100 purchases on Ebay (mostly small things) and I've never had a bad experience buying something yet (knock on wood ;) ). I only buy from sellers w/98% or higher positive feedback. I've bought two NIB strollers, both had their serial #'s and date of manufacture on them; they were shipped w/in a day; and the sellers had great communication. (BuggiesforBabies: http://myworld.ebay.com/buggiesforbabies/ and Baby Product Store http://myworld.ebay.com/babyproductstore/ )

Thanks!

Multimama
02-26-2011, 01:17 PM

I just wanted to say that not all of BabyProductStore's Maclarens come with serial numbers or dates of manufacture on them. If you want more info about that seller feel free to PM me.

poohbear
02-26-2011, 02:40 PM
babyproductstore on ebay offers "their own warranty" - not the Maclaren warranty...

Totally agree with PP's - check feedback ratings. And definitely send messages to sellers to find out more info if items come with warranties...