PDA

View Full Version : Silly Poll: What kind of shoe-girl/guy are you?

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Poll coming.

This is for fun only. :D

katydid1971
02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm wondering what people think are expensive shoes. For me $100 is expensive (keens or Danskos) but I know some people who think expensive shoes are $600+

brittone2
02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I have really, really small feet, so while I'd love to be a shoe lover, I'm kinda limited in my options (I can only wear a women's 5 if it is a sneaker or boot, otherwise I need a women's 4-4.5. I can wear a kids' size 2-3 as well.

So Danskos work out for my SAHM shoes since I can wear a 35 in those. I own some cool boots. But for heels, etc. I am kinda out of luck. I have limited options and the more appealing options are $$$$ (expensive european branded shoes, Taryn Rose, etc.) or can lean toward matronly or are overtly matronly (some of the Naturalizer type stuff that comes in my size). Oh, and specialty catalogs for people with small feet (Cinderella of Boston) which often has stuff that is NMS, but I have used them in a pinch (in a wedding and bride specifies metallic heels. I can find them there for a reasonable price but won't necessarily love them).

I care, I just don't have many great options in my price point.

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 01:05 PM
As a certified shoe fiend, :D I would personally consider anything over $300 to be expensive, $100-$300 to be moderate and anything under $100 to be inexpensive.

Feel free to use your own standards when responding to the poll though! :)

crl
02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Well, I do like shoes. :loveeyes: But I can't bring myself to shell out more than about $115 for a pair. So I don't have any designer shoes. And I sometimes wear shoes past their prime just because they are comfortable and convenient (ie sitting by the door and I don't have to go buy any new ones).

Catherine

hellokitty
02-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm wondering what people think are expensive shoes. For me $100 is expensive (keens or Danskos) but I know some people who think expensive shoes are $600+

:yeahthat: Plus, I buy comfy shoes, that to me are expensive, but to most ppl would not be considered stylish.

Indianamom2
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
As a certified shoe fiend, :D I would personally consider anything over $300 to be expensive, $100-$300 to be moderate and anything under $100 to be inexpensive.

:47: You wouldn't want to see my shoe selection! :D

I'm so cheap when it comes to clothes/shoes, but then again, I have no real reason to buy expensive stuff either. I'm thinking my $60 or so BearPaw boots might be my most expensive pair of shoes. Honestly, I don't remember spending more than that ever. (And I wear the boots all the time in the winter.)

Moneypenny
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
I have really, really small feet, so while I'd love to be a shoe lover, I'm kinda limited in my options (I can only wear a women's 5 if it is a sneaker or boot, otherwise I need a women's 4-4.5. I can wear a kids' size 2-3 as well.

I care, I just don't have many great options in my price point.

I have the same size feet and they are very narrow as well. I like shoes and covet the shoes of many of my friends, but the ones I like just aren't available to me and my puny feet.

salsah
02-25-2011, 01:24 PM
i spend on shoes for quality, not for labels.

i love shoes and i have expensive taste. not by choice, i hate it actually. when ever i'm shopping, i always fall in love with something only to find that it is crazy expensive. it's isn't about brands, it's just that more expensive things tend to look nicer, especially with shoes and handbags. better constructed, nicer leather, etc. and they tend to be more classic in style and less trendy (simple not flashy).

since having back problems, i know that i have to get good shoes which can be pricier but since i can't wear heels anymore, i don't buy nearly as many shoes as i used to buy pre-kids. i accept the fact that i need to spend more to get something better quality so i typically don't buy inexpensive shoes. but i do try to spend less (sales/discounts) on good shoes.

moderate to me is $75-100. That is typically how much i spend on shoes. Less than that is inexpensive, more than that is expensive.

kozachka
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
I was struggling as to how to vote because majority of my shoes retail for more than $250-$300 plus tax (many bought on sale) and I wear them to work or when going out. My summer sandals and week-end shoes fall into the moderately expensive category though. And I have few cheap finds. At the end I chose option # 1 based on the share of expensive shoes in my wardrobe.

brittone2
02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I have the same size feet and they are very narrow as well. I like shoes and covet the shoes of many of my friends, but the ones I like just aren't available to me and my puny feet.

It is a pain, isn't it? There are times I find an outfit I love and realize I really don't have a shoe option to go with it, so I don't buy it :( or I get home and think, what was I thinking...I don't have shoes that work with this!

I don't think I'd ever be someone who owns 10+ pairs at 300+ a pop, but I do appreciate nice shoes on others, and know my wardrobe would look much nicer with a better selection of shoes.

HIU8
02-25-2011, 01:47 PM
My feet are hard to fit. I am lucky if I find a pair under $100. I would prefer to pay $60/pair, but the last pair I bought cost $150/pair. I do not buy shoes often (maybe once every couple of years).

lmh2402
02-25-2011, 02:04 PM

this is how i would define the categories as well

LMPC
02-25-2011, 02:07 PM

That's what I was thinking too. I always buy shoes on sale and refuse to pay more than about $50 for them. But I always buy name brand shoes that are way on sale.

kozachka
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I think one should vote based on the MSRP of the shoes, not what one paid. For example, I have a pair of Gucci wedges that I bought for $43 including tax from DSW, probably my best shoes score ever. Their MSRP was ~$400-$500 and would cost a lot to replace with a comparible pair so I consider them expensive even though I did not pay much for them.

bisous
02-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I LOOVE shoes but they are so not in my budget right now. I realized that I actually have only 6 pairs of shoes. Some, my Merrell sandals and Asics running shoes I would consider "expensive" but by your categories they are more "inexpensive" as they are both under $100.

Some day, I hope I have the ability to buy cute shoes but for now I struggle more trying to put food on the table and gas in the car and my fashion is so, so bad right now!

momm
02-25-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm a sneakers girl. My most expensive pair of shoes would have to be $40.

AnnieW625
02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I have horrible horribly wide feet and large feet (size 9/1/2 or 10 W) so I am used to having to spend a minimum of $50 to $100 on a pair of shoes. With the exception of Croc flip flops I can't tell you the last time I spent less than $40 on a pair of shoes. I usually never go over $150 and am a bargain hunter so that is part of the reason I am able to keep my prices moderate to the more inexpensive side. If the designer brands like Cole Haan or Stuart Weitzman made wide width shoes more available I'd most likely buy them more, but they aren't easy to find and I am not willing to go out and find them.

BabbyO
02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Shoes are a PITA to me. I have one brown pair and one black pair that I wear for work. If it weren't cold and there weren't dress codes/rules, I'd be barefoot most of the time.

The exception is my running shoes. I'll spend money there ($80-$130) but that is because running 6 or more miles in cheap shoes can ruin your body.

elektra
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I have a range. I don't spend a ton on shoes anymore but I consider moderate to be $75- $200 a pair. Anything below $75 I consider inexpensive or a score if the MSRP was much higher.
$200+ is "expensive" to me, and I do have a few expensive pairs but mostly moderate and a few cheap.

septmama2b
02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I wish I could be a shoe fiend. I wear a size 12, and the selection is limited at best. My choices are generally very poor quality cheap shoes from Payless, or very spendy but not a lot of choices shoes from Nordstrom. Zappos.com changed my life when they came around. I buy for comfort first, cost second, and style third. I am so far from a fashionista.

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow. Option 2 by a landslide. I have a pretty cool shoe closet, but I must admit that I don't buy as many cool shoes anymore. My shoes were mostly acquired pre-kids. Now that I have kids, I seem to be buying a lot of flat boots and shoes which hover around the $100-$200 mark.

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2011, 07:01 PM
My moderate is likely not the same as others. I don't think I have ever spent more than $125 and my wardrobe is not suffering. ;) Most are in the $50-75 range.

I would call inexpensive under $50.

I buy mostly my moderate.

I am willing to go under and may be tempted to go over. Depends on the shoes and overall spending at that time.

Beth

citymama
02-25-2011, 07:01 PM
I will spend money on shoes but not too many and primarily based on comfort more than style. (Unless you consider Born, Teva, NB and Keens to be stylish. ;)) There should have been a "sensible but spendy" shoes category! I won't wear ugly/frumpy shoes, but I won't let style trump comfort either. I would loooove comfy and stylish shoe reccs!

Tenasparkl
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a pretty cool shoe closet, but I must admit that I don't buy as many cool shoes anymore. My shoes were mostly acquired pre-kids. Now that I have kids, I seem to be buying a lot of flat boots and shoes which hover around the $100-$200 mark.

:yeahthat: I still try on lots of beautiful shoes, but I rarely buy them anymore.

elliput
02-25-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm willing to shell out money on Danskos, Keen, Birkenstock and the like. Having happy feet and not throwing my back out of alignment is worth the money, and much better than throwing the money at a chiropractor IMO.

american_mama
02-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I almost voted I hate shoes. I have never in my life understood the common joke about women and their love of shoes. Shoe shopping sucks, done only because you need shoes, not because you want to. Maybe it's because I wear a size 10, which is not that big but does limit choice a bit. Maybe it's because I'm cheap and not that fashionable. But shoes (and purses) interest me NADA.

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I almost voted I hate shoes. I have never in my life understood the common joke about women and their love of shoes. Shoe shopping sucks, done only because you need shoes, not because you want to. Maybe it's because I wear a size 10, which is not that big but does limit choice a bit. Maybe it's because I'm cheap and not that fashionable. But shoes (and purses) interest me NADA.

I felt the same way for a long time. Then, one day I was sitting in Nordstrom with my SIL while waiting for her to try on a hideous pair of shoes. I looked down and there was this pair 4" pointy toed heels sitting next to me, in my size. So, I tried them on. Holy goodness! I understood right away why people love shoes! I felt sexy, put together, confident, powerful...oh, they were just wonderful and they are sitting right by the front door b/c I wore them on a recent date night. I get compliments often for my dress up shoes at weddings and such. So, while my day to day shoes are fine, it's my special occasion shoes that rock and I look forward to wearing them.

Beth

Indianamom2
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM

:yeahthat: I also have what must be the most sensitive feet known to mankind. Every shoe (except most flip flops) will give me blisters somewhere on my feet. It can be the top, the toe, the underside of my toe, my heel...you name it, it hurts. Even the fancier, more pricey shoes hurt.

That makes shoe shopping really, really stink.

SpaceGal
02-25-2011, 09:21 PM
In the winter I LOVE LOVE my Uggs...ugly or whatever they are so warm and cozy...the typical Ugg type with the sheepskin and my nice waterproof ones.

I used to be a Doc Martens chick...I still am but now when I don't wear my Uggs I am going toward sneakers or my slip on Keens.

Typically I won't spend a $100 on shoes...the Uggs I have were a gift. But usually I try to get my shoes on sale.

kijip
02-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know if my shoes are considered expensive or not. Excepting one pair of crazy heels and a pair of converse, the only shoes I have that are under $90ish are from uber sales, they would have been $125-250ish originally. I usually spend about $200-250 on dress shoes/heels, $125ish on running shoes, $100-200 for everyday work shoes. I have spent as much as $300.

To put this extravagance in perspective, I basically spend nothing on clothing. I have large feet, 11, and a very high arch and cheap shoes have caused me serious pain in the past so I don't bother. It I want to wear fun and nice shoes, because of the size I usually need to shop at more expensive places. Also synthetic material shoes really don't work for me. I have noticed lately that there are synthetics in the $50-100 range which bugs me. Cheap shoes should at the very least actually be cheap to the consumer.

JMS
02-25-2011, 09:42 PM
I love shoes too much. The last couple years, I have limited myself to one good, new pair per season, sometimes less. I can't admit how much some pairs have cost. :bag

sarahsthreads
02-25-2011, 10:02 PM

:yeahthat:

And I have no idea how to vote. I will go buy (full price, gasp) Danskos once a year or so - I'm up to three pairs I wear regularly, and one that's in need of repair - and I own one pair of Birkenstock sandals. None of those are inexpensive, but neither are they fashionable! I have largish wide feet (I wear a 41 in Danskos, a 39 in Birks?!?) and I absolutely hate shoe shopping.

I own one single pair of dressier shoes for the very, very rare occasion that I absolutely *have* to wear a dress, that make my feet hurt within five minutes of putting them on. You could try to tell me that it's because I didn't spend enough on dressier shoes, but for the entirety of my adult life I have *never* found a pair of dressy shoes that didn't make my feet hurt within five minutes, no matter the price point, brand, material, color, heel height...

Did I mention I hate shoes? (Well, dressy shoes. I love my very unfashionable but incredibly comfortable Danskos!)

Sarah :)

bubbaray
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm not really sure how to vote.

I have very narrow feet and often have no choice but to buy expensive shoes (over $200). I don't buy those as much b/c I don't *have* to dress for court every single day anymore -- I dress more casually than I used to most work days. I never ever wear dressy shoes in my personal/weekend time. I pretty much live in boots or flip flops in my off-work hours.

mezzona
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't own a lot of shoes and they are all in the $75-125 range. actually a month ago I got some Cole Haans i absolutely loved for $200+. I couldn't get myself to wear it. I thought it was too much. lol I had to return it.

kijip
02-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow. Option 2 by a landslide. I have a pretty cool shoe closet, but I must admit that I don't buy as many cool shoes anymore. My shoes were mostly acquired pre-kids. Now that I have kids, I seem to be buying a lot of flat boots and shoes which hover around the $100-$200 mark.

I don't think that is a surprise, most people usually think what they do is the moderate, middle, sensible option.

newg
02-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I would love to spend more than I do/or can on shoes. I love shoes....but now that I am a SAHM, it doesn't seem reasonable for me to shell out more than $75 for a pair of shoes unless it's a pair I would wear all the time (like my running shoes, or casual privo shoes).

I consider $100+ to be expensive

Dream
02-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Very recently only I bought my first pair of Clarks for about $75 and that was expensive to me. That's the only brand named pair of shoes I own.

mackmama
02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I am so-so on shoes. I find that I really like to look at pretty shoes, but I tend toward comfort IRL.

DrSally
02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
I've started spending more $$ on shoes to get the right fit (I now need wides). But, I like to spend $20-$30 at TJMax/Marshalls. I consider $50 to be expensive and my limit.

scriptkitten
02-26-2011, 11:55 PM

ditto!

you knew i'd show up in this poll right?

i agree with your ranges for expensive, moderate and inexpensive.

now that i'm a mom most shoe purchases fall into the "moderate" range.

shoes are everything to me as far as an outfit is concerned. they set the tone.

jvs195
02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
I have certain brands I will only buy because I know how they fit and wear on my feet. I like Dansko, Naturalizer, Franco Sarto, Seychelles, Born and Clarks mostly. I have a few Cole Haans I got on major discount (nothing over $100) I've tried a few other brands when I got a great price (I have some Coach sequin ballet flats I got for $50 at Nordstrom Rack) but I try not to spend over $50 for shoes, $30 for sandals (unless I can wear to work) and $100 for boots. Luckily I find plenty in my size 10 that fit the bill when I shop around (endless, amazon, DSW, 6Pm, Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack and sometimes outlets)

arivecchi
02-27-2011, 10:52 AM
ditto!

you knew i'd show up in this poll right?

i agree with your ranges for expensive, moderate and inexpensive.

now that i'm a mom most shoe purchases fall into the "moderate" range.

shoes are everything to me as far as an outfit is concerned. they set the tone.
Yes I did! :)

I totally agree with you. You can have a so so outfit and completely elevate it with killer shoes.

MontrealMum
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Most of my shoes fall in the "moderate" range, not because of their MSRP, but because I am a serious bargain hunter when it comes to shoes and it's rare that I'll pay full price. I'm also very lucky to have smallish feet for my height so that many shoes in my size are left to be marked down in sales giving me a good selection just about anywhere. Often I find that while I can get a smoking deal (under $100) on a pair of Tod's or Coach or other brands that are normally $200/300+, I generally have to pay near to full price for necessities like winter boots and "good-for-your-feet" shoes like Eccos or Keens. But I really don't buy as many shoes as I used to anymore. First, I already have a fairly good collection, and also my lifestyle just doesn't necessitate many new pairs each season.

gatorsmom
02-27-2011, 01:27 PM

:yeahthat: this describes me exactly. I :heartbeat: shoes.

KrisM
02-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I'd go barefoot all the time, if I could. I hate spending money on shoes, and probably the most I've ever spent is about $50 on a good pair of hiking boots. I'll guess $35 is as much as I could stomach on a regular pair of shoes.

ahrimie
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM

That's so true. My mom thinks anything over $35 is expensive for shoes but I think that's a bargain! For pumps, I buy more expensive and higher quality shoes. I find they are more comfortable and last much longer. Before, I used to buy a cheap pair and replace them every few months. But now that I'm a SAHM, I don't have much of a need for nicer shoes. I currently have 3 nice pairs I just rotate: Burberry pumps, Prada pumps, Cole Haan slingback platforms.

For sandals or flipflops (shoes I wear for style/trends and everyday), I buy cheaper shoes.

LexyLou
02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Hard for me to vote. I most absolutely think that shoes make or break an outfit but I don't think you have to spend an arm and a leg to get great shoes.

The majority of my shoes are under $100, some even under $40 and I still think they they are a major part of my wardrobe.