PDA

View Full Version : Airport/lightweight stroller

jlynn32
02-25-2011, 01:47 PM
First...you ladies are a super source for information. Thank you! :bowdown:

I know there have been a billion posts about this, but I just have a few specific questions. Thanks in advance for reading yet another umbrella post! :)

We are flying to FL at the end of April and need a lightweight stroller for the airport and while we are out and about in Naples, FL.

I really want:

-nice canopy
-decent recline
-room to grow-my son is 13 months and 26lbs and 32 inches...he's a big boy :)
-small footprint-this will probably be one that I keep in my car when we are home and I have a nissan versa hatchback.

I really don't want to go over $150.00. Is it possible. Help!!

vonfirmath
02-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I got a Silver Cross Fizz stroller that fit all of this. You might look around and see if you can find one (It was a gilt sale almost a year ago).

Or if you are in Austin, run over to the Consignment sale and buy it:)

blondflava
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
I have a Fizz too, a great little stroller, has mesh seat like Volo and reclines for a snooze (not a deep recline though). My DD is 32" and has room to grow, seat is deep and the legs don't dangle :). Canopy is smallish though (but you could get a canopy extender), I know moms on swap were selling couple (got mine for 60).
Other than that, maybe a Maclaren? But will be tough to stay under 150.. unless used. Or Cybex?

jlynn32
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I have a Fizz too, a great little stroller, has mesh seat like Volo and reclines for a snooze (not a deep recline though). My DD is 32" and has room to grow, seat is deep and the legs don't dangle :). Canopy is smallish though (but you could get a canopy extender), I know moms on swap were selling couple (got mine for 60).
Other than that, maybe a Maclaren? But will be tough to stay under 150.. unless used. Or Cybex?

What is the swap you are talking about?? I'm not familar with it. :confused:

crl
02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
What is the swap you are talking about?? I'm not familar with it. :confused:

Strollerswap is a yahoo group run by Strollerqueen. People buy and sell used strollers on it.

Catherine

edurnemk
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd look at a Cybex, or a used Maclaren Quest. I have a Chicco Liteway for travel, I like it, but now that my son is bigger it doesn't push as well, of course I'm spoiled by the Vista. But it has full recline, tall seat back, good canopy (for an umbrella, but for sunny places we have a canopy extension by Kiddopotamus IIRC). I think it's like 17 lbs, which for me is lightweight enough without sacrificing other features.

rin
02-25-2011, 04:12 PM
If you're willing to go heavier, the Maclaren Techno has everything you're looking for: suspension, HUGE canopy, full newborn-worthy recline, fits big kids well, pretty small footprint (I think it's about 1.5'x2.5' unfolded, then folded it's something like 41" long, 13"x10" wide). But it's a bit heavier than the others: it's probably something like 16 or 17 lbs.

I've got a Maclaren Quest that I use for my car/travel stroller: it's lightweight, tiny footprint both folded and unfolded, but has a crap canopy. You can get an aftermarket extender, but most people I know seem to end up concluding that those are more trouble than they're worth. If you're ok w/used you could look for one of the older maclarens (I believe Triumphs and Quests before 2006) that have rotating canopies so you can block the sun at any angle. I've got one of the older ones and really like that feature.

Momto1
02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
What about the G-Luxe that's on Amazon for $135? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OBU0KM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001HZABR4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TTPST3DS9RDVTK5JJW2

jlynn32
02-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Strollerswap is a yahoo group run by Strollerqueen. People buy and sell used strollers on it.

Catherine

Thanks!:)

jlynn32
02-25-2011, 05:06 PM
What about the G-Luxe that's on Amazon for $135? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OBU0KM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001HZABR4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TTPST3DS9RDVTK5JJW2

I have been looking at that one. Is it very tippy?? Can I use my $10 baby coupon on it, do you know?

Multimama
02-25-2011, 05:07 PM
The Blink meets all of your criteria and you can get one for $75 shipped on Albeebaby.com right now. (The canopy isn't amazing or anything, but it's very nice for an umbrella stroller.) It's a great deal for a stroller with so many features, but I will say that once your child is over 30 lbs the steering is so fantastic. Still fine, but you definitely would notice the difference between it and a Maclaren.

FWIW, I think the Techno is overkill for a 13 month old and a vacation stroller.

Momto1
02-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I have been looking at that one. Is it very tippy?? Can I use my $10 baby coupon on it, do you know?

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can use your $10 coupon on it. I'm not sure about the tippyness. I was going to get it, but I ended up getting a Quest from Gilt instead.

jlynn32
02-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Thank you for all the G Lux for 110, including rain cover for 110, no shipping included and a Cybex Topaz for 90 not including shipping. Which one would be better to grow with us?? Any insight?

rin
02-26-2011, 12:59 AM
FWIW, I think the Techno is overkill for a 13 month old and a vacation stroller.

Yeah, ITA, I would never fly with a Techno unless I had a newborn, and even then I'd probably just use the Ergo. I only mentioned it because of the canopy, which is truly fabulous. I completely agree though that something in the Cybex Onyx/Ruby, Maclaren Quest/Triumph/Volo, Uppababy Gluxe, etc family would be perfect for a vacation/airport stroller.

FWIW we use a Quest for travel and are totally happy with it.

rin
02-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Thank you for all the G Lux for 110, including rain cover for 110, no shipping included and a Cybex Topaz for 90 not including shipping. Which one would be better to grow with us?? Any insight?

Well, if you want it for air travel I personally think the Topaz is too much stroller. I used to have one and got rid of it for a variety of reasons. It's heavier (probably around 16 or 17 lbs) and pretty big. The G-luxe is smaller and more lightweight. If you're going for the 2011 G-luxe the weight limit should be about comparable on the two, but the early G-luxes had a lower weight limit (I think 40 lbs) so I guess it's more likely your DC would outgrow the stroller. The 2009 Topaz canopy isn't any better than the Maclarens (although I understand the newer models, 2010 & 2011 have rotating canopies), but I bet a $90 Topaz is a 2009? The G-luxe canopies are supposed to be awesome although I've never seen one IRL.

Multimama
02-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Well, if you want it for air travel I personally think the Topaz is too much stroller. I used to have one and got rid of it for a variety of reasons. It's heavier (probably around 16 or 17 lbs) and pretty big. The G-luxe is smaller and more lightweight. If you're going for the 2011 G-luxe the weight limit should be about comparable on the two, but the early G-luxes had a lower weight limit (I think 40 lbs) so I guess it's more likely your DC would outgrow the stroller. The 2009 Topaz canopy isn't any better than the Maclarens (although I understand the newer models, 2010 & 2011 have rotating canopies), but I bet a $90 Topaz is a 2009? The G-luxe canopies are supposed to be awesome although I've never seen one IRL.

:yeahthat: Topaz is a lot like the Techno, too much stroller for the airport, IMO.

jlynn32
02-26-2011, 01:43 PM
:yeahthat: Topaz is a lot like the Techno, too much stroller for the airport, IMO.

Thank you both! I think it just might be the Glux!