PDA

View Full Version : Do I need dance shoes?

minnie-zb
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
My husband and I are going to take dance classes together. Do you think I need dance shoes? What about my husband?

What kind of shoes should we wear? I'm pretty clueless about this...

BabbyO
02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I guess it depends. When DS and I took dance lessons for our wedding (ok that was a few years ago) I was able to manage with shoes I had. I just practiced in shoes that were very similar to my wedding shoes.

DS on the other hand had a tough time because all of his shoes (even dress shoes) were rubber soled. They make it hard to dance. If he'd had a hard soled shoe it would be easier.

I guess if I were you I'd go to the first lesson both wearing comfortable, hard-soled shoes that aren't going to fall off. I wouldn't wear pumps, but something with a strap would work. From there the instructor can help you if you need something more specific.

Have fun!

minnie-zb
02-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Thank you -- those are great suggestions. I don't have any shoes with straps so I will have to start looking.

BabbyO
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you -- those are great suggestions. I don't have any shoes with straps so I will have to start looking.

You might not need straps if they don't fall off. I just tend to have trouble with that.

MamaMolly
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I've taken dance lessons a couple of times and I really prefer a bit of a heel, and something with a T-strap or ankle strap. When I'm going backwards I've danced out of my shoes if I don't have a strap.

I'd also caution against strappy super high heeled sandals. I wore those to a dance in November and for the life of me couldn't even do the bus stop without going right out of my shoes. It was funny and annoying at the same time.

karstmama
02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
depending of course on the type of dancing, you'll be standing on the ball of your foot with the heels off the floor, so a shoe that comes off the floor (stays on your foot) and slides on the floor is what you're looking for. i actually had good luck with crocs with the heel strap 'deployed', because they were old & slick on the bottom.

minnie-zb
02-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks everyone -- this is all very helpful.

We're pretty excited and hopefully we won't be too awful! :)