PDA

View Full Version : Siblings Sharing a Room: Logistics Help Please!

carolinamama
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Do you have siblings that share a room? We are going to put DS1 and DS2 together since DD will arrive in the summer. They will be on 2 twin beds in the same room. DS1 sleeps like a rock, DS2, well, not so much. DS1 is scared that DS2 will wake him up. I am worried that it will be a big giant headache while I am trying to deal with a newborn with a DH that works very long hours. I will be doing most bedtimes solo and DH often leaves for work by 5:00 am. I must say we are somewhat strict in that we expect kids to sleep and not bother eachother because they are so much more pleasant when everyone has had their rest. We are hoping to finish our 3rd floor in a year or two but that isn't in the budget right now. And we do have a 4th bedroom downstairs that we could use temporarily (it's the guest room) but I don't want a kid sleeping down while everyone else is up.

Anyway, if your kids share a room, how does it work? Do you stagger bedtimes? What are your rules for interaction after bedtime? I am completely unsure how to go about this transition so any help is REALLY appreciated. DS2 is moving into DS1's room and I feel badly about it seeming that his space is being taken over.

Thank you for reading through my rambling. I am really stressing about this since I am getting a bit nervous about parenting 3 kids.

o_mom
02-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Does DS2 wake up in the night? Is it just at bedtime that you are worried?

If DS2 sleeps well once down, then you could consider having DS1 fall asleep in a separate room and move him in once DS2 is asleep. We did this regularly for a while when they were getting each other wound up at bedtime. DS1 was very good about falling asleep in our bed while DS2 was going to sleep in the room. I would transfer him when I came to bed.

If DS2 tends to wake up, then think about placing his bed next to the door, keep a monitor on and hustle in there if you hear DS2 winding up. I would start them both with a white-noise machine now and get them used to it. It will help cover any little noises and stuff. Also get a low power light or a nightlight that you can switch on easily to help DS2 with anything.

Remember also, that they will be 6 months older by the time the baby comes and that can change sleep habits dramatically.

HTH!

liz
02-25-2011, 04:50 PM
All 3 of my DC share a room, and by some miracle, it works out great! My kids go to sleep at the same time every night (roughly 8 pm). Usually there is some talking and sometimes it gets rowdier, and at that point one of us gives them a warning. Before I know it, they are all asleep. Honestly, I think they are better friends/brothers because of it.

I would get your DC into the same room asap. That will give them plently of "practice" of sharing a room. Get something for their room to make it special (eg new bedding, new beds, new nightlight, really anything that makes it seem new and special). Have some guidelines/rules for the kids.

I don't know what ages your kids are, but we have rules about personal space. No one is allowed in their bed unless they have been asked. They each have their special stuffed animals that no one can touch. hth

ha98ed14
02-25-2011, 06:52 PM
When my sister and I were kids, we shared a room. This is how my mom did it and it worked. Give the boys the largest BR in the house. Then get an expedit and baskets for toys, bed linens, whatever you want to fill up the baskets with. Put the expedit on the longest wall and place it perpendicular to the wall. (So it's acting like a room divider.)

Put each of their beds in a corner farthest away from the expedit/wall corners. Dressers go on the common wall opposite the wall that the expedit comes off of.

Put whatever child sleeps lightest in the half of the room furthest from the door.
|
|---EXPEDIT------
|
|
|
|BED________________

DietCokeLover
02-25-2011, 07:00 PM
My DC share a room, and actually share a bed. We have some struggles with them winding each other up at night, but I often end up sitting in their room or laying in their bed with them for a while to act as a buffer. Once they are asleep, everything goes well. They have always shared a room though.

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Ds2 is a chatter and can outlast ds1 at night. In the morning ds1 wakes up earlier. They only share a room on sleepovers at g'ma and g'pa's. Ds1 eventually falls asleep despite his brother annoying him. Ds2 sleeps through in the morning. Things seem to work out.

Beth

alexsmommy
02-25-2011, 07:10 PM
DS1 and DS2 shared a room and bed for one year. There was a two week adjustment while we figured out what worked best, then they were fine. I'd just do it now so you won't be dealing with a new little one. We co-sleep the first year, so we moved DS2 out of the crib when DS3 was four months old, after we had all adjusted to his arrival. It worked out fine and they both admit that now that they have their own rooms, they miss each other. During storms DS1 climbs into DS2's double bed to "keep him from getting scared." :). Be flexible about figuring out what works. We thought we'd stagger bedtimes, but realized for us and them the same bedtime on school nights worked best.

wolverine2
02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
My DS's share a room and have since DS2 was 6 months old- they are 3 years apart. I put DS2 to bed first (he's still in his crib) and then I read to DS1 in another room and put him to bed. DS2 is never asleep when DS1 comes to bed, but that's fine. Sometimes they laugh and talk for a while- sometimes they just conk out. Once in a while they get pretty rowdy and I threaten to take toys away and they shut up.

DS2 went through a phase where he was up screaming nightly (and I mean screaming). DS1 slept right through it- never woke up. Maybe your DS1 will be like that too...

ezcc
02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
My ds and dd share a room, and always have. Honestly they love it! They occasionally play and talk later than we would like, but they are having so much fun it can be hard to tell them to go to bed. Generally they are fine though and go to sleep once we say it is time. They are 3 years apart and now 5 and 8, but it has basically always been ok even when they were littler.

SpaceGal
02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
My boys share a room. DS1 has a full sized bed and DS2 has a toddler size car bed. Probably sometime this year we're looking to get a bunk bed or another twin (possibly full) and move them into the larger of the two rooms. DD will get whichever we don't use for the boys.

The boys understand that bedtime no talking and no goofing around...lay in bed quietly. Granted there is chattering once in a while but it's fine. DS1 is a light sleeper and sometimes DS2 whines/cries int he night and it wakes him up. But they get through it and it's fine. The boys actually want DD in their room once she's out of a crib but all three wouldn't fit in the boy current room, but I think it might be nice so DD learns the whole bedtime thing.

Oh and generally it's understood to not get on each other's bed and touch each others special stuffed animal.

belovedgandp
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
My boys moved in together about 16 months ago (5 months before we had our little girl) they were a little over 5 1/2 and almost 2 1/2 at the time. They moved into DS1s room, but we got them a bunk bed. DS1 never felt imposed on, it was always the baby's room was for babies and the new baby needed it. DS2 was in a crib until the day we put the bunkbed together and he declared that the bed was his and went into it.

Before they moved in I was putting DS2 down 30-45 minutes before DS1. I have a lot of solo bedtimes around here too. DS1 played or read or got his PJS on while I helped DS2 and then we used the quiet time to read together. When they moved in together, they moved to the same bedtime which was later for DS2. Worked out for me because DS2 was starting to skip naps, but with the new later bedtime I got naptime back which was nice.

75% of the time we read together and put them to bed together. DS2 has since given up naps and occasionally needs a little bit more sleep. I'll put both boys in PJs and have DS1 read in my room while DS2 goes to bed. Putting all three down was hairy the first few times. I put the baby down while the boys get their PJs and do their teeth. That has always been our routine so baby is used to going to sleep with a little commotion.

It takes some practice but it works out. They occasionally talk to each other, and I will separate to me room if needed (just a threat works now).

DS1 also sleeps like a rock. DS2 gets up in the morning and comes to my room. He tried to wake DS1 a couple of times, since he usually wakes first, but was easily convinced to leave him alone.

bubbaray
02-25-2011, 10:24 PM
My girls share a room and have for about 1.5 yrs. They go to bed at the same time, but DD#2 usually falls asleep AFTER DD#1.

bisous
02-25-2011, 10:39 PM
My two boys share a room and they are almost 4 years apart in age. They do great! They go to bed at the same time. When my older son is away for some reason my little one (age 3) has a hard time falling asleep! They are very sweet together!

I was particularly worried about DS2 because I have to check DS1's blood sugar at least 3 times a night usually. I was worried about waking him up but these guys have been sharing since DS2 was only 9 months old and they've done great. :)