PDA

View Full Version : oatmeal

nckd
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
So, I want to start eating oatmeal for breakfast. My problem is that I like it sweet. I add a lot of sugar. I don't want to do that anymore. So, can you guys tell me how you eat yours? I need some healthy ideas. Thanks.

spanannie
02-26-2011, 01:42 PM
So, I want to start eating oatmeal for breakfast. My problem is that I like it sweet. I add a lot of sugar. I don't want to do that anymore. So, can you guys tell me how you eat yours? I need some healthy ideas. Thanks.

I'm eating "overnight oatmeal." Mix 2 cups oats, 2 cups milk (I'm using Almond milk) and 2T ground flaxseed in a bowl and refrigerate overnight. To that, I'm adding some honey (don't know how much) and a capful of vanilla. Scoop out and microwave portion in the AM. I'm adding toasted walnuts or almonds and a handful of blueberries. Not super sweet, but YUM.

nckd
02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
That sounds really good. How many days does that last for? Thanks!

craftysierra
02-26-2011, 02:44 PM
My husband was diagnosed as diabetic this summer so we are very much limiting our intake of sugar.

I cook oatmeal in milk and add cinnamon enough sweetness for us to balance the cinnamon. I have also used unsweetened almond milk and vanilla, almonds and cinnamon. What about dried or fresh fruit? Have you tried the baked oatmeal recipe in the cooking forum?

Sierra

wencit
02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
What about dried or fresh fruit? Agreed. I throw in bananas for some sweetness (not the lowest GI fruit, but better than plain sugar, I suppose, plus extra vitamins). I also add lots of dried fruit, like cranberries and cherries -- the sweet/tart combination is yummy.

amm40
02-26-2011, 06:33 PM
I add frozen blueberries, unsweetened applesauce and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Turns out plenty sweet for me, and I used to love the cinnamon brown sugar instant packets!

Eta: I do almost the same thing with plain yogurt, just defrost the frozen berries first.

jerigirl
02-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I add a handful of frozen blueberries, a handful of walnuts and a squirt of honey.

AnnieW625
02-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I eat either regular plain Quaker oats or Trader Joe's Frozen Steel Cut oatmeal and I slice fresh strawberries into it. The TJ's one claims it's maple and brown sugar, but I haven't noticed it to be too sweat.

dowlinal
02-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I love the whipped banana oatmeal from this blog http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal. It makes the oatmeal so creamy. For an extra treat, I'll often add a spoonful of natural peanut or almond butter or sometimes I make this as a dessert and stir in some nutella.

Whipped Banana Oatmeal

1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup 1% or skim or soy milk
1/2 cup water (I like my oats a bit liquidy – cut back to 1/3 a cup if you don’t)
1/2 a banana, sliced
1 tbsp chia seeds (they give the best fluffy texture!)
Pinch of kosher salt
Vanilla, stirred in at end

For two servings, we start by combining rolled oats, water, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Slice a banana into VERY thin pieces, leaving just a few bigger chunks. Walk away for a few minutes while the oatmeal heats. Once it begins to steam or bubble, stir vigorously at times to “whip” the banana into the oats. The oats will take about 5 minutes on medium heat from start to finish to fully absorb the liquid. They’re done when they reach your desired consistency! Then I stir in vanilla (and often pumpkin or cottage cheese) and portion into bowls. Add any toppings you like, such as almond or peanut butter dollops, nuts, granola, coconut, crumbled granola bars, or trail mix – with dark chocolate chips! Or check out all the combos listed below.

The whipped method produces a really creamy bowl of oats. The bananas basically disappear, so there are no chunks. Since banana is an emulsifier of sorts, this method suspends the oats into a thick, creamy consistency and the whole bowl is sweeter because the banana’s sweetness permeates throughout.

danagee
02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
I guess I'm the only one who prefers oatmeal plain...unsweetened. Even raisins are too sweet for me.
Since I kicked my sugar habit I can actually taste the natural sweetness of plain oatmeal.

My favorite way to cook steel cut oats is to cook overnight in the crock pot.
4 cups of water and 1 cup of oats, set to low before bedtime and it's ready when you wake up. You can add cinnamon, sweeteners, dry fruit, etc either before or after cooking.

spanannie
02-26-2011, 11:20 PM
That sounds really good. How many days does that last for? Thanks!

It's only taken me 3-4 days to eat that portion. It was definitely still good. I say you have at least 5 days.

essnce629
02-27-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm eating "overnight oatmeal." Mix 2 cups oats, 2 cups milk (I'm using Almond milk) and 2T ground flaxseed in a bowl and refrigerate overnight. To that, I'm adding some honey (don't know how much) and a capful of vanilla. Scoop out and microwave portion in the AM. I'm adding toasted walnuts or almonds and a handful of blueberries. Not super sweet, but YUM.

Ummm, sounds good! I googled "overnight oatmeal" and a recipe came up on the Whole Foods website that had lemon zest and peaches in it so I have in the fridge right now: a bowl with oats, milk, flaxseed, vanilla extract, lemon zest, frozen peaches, and frozen blueberries. I figure the frozen fruit will be defrosted by the morning. I hope it's good!

ahrimie
02-27-2011, 07:54 AM

OH YUM!!!

I've recently started using Almond Milk too--really delicious--with our oatmeal. I add a drizzle of agave to make it sweeter for DD.

I just add 1 serving in a microwaveable bowl, add milk (enough to cover the oats but they're not swimming in it like cereal), and microwave for 1-1.5 min depending on the amount. I stir and add more milk and reheat or serve to DD since it makes it a bit cooler. Then drizzle agave!

I add bananas in there too sometimes and it gives it a nice sweet taste that compliments the nuttiness of almond milk.

nckd
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm excited to make the overnight oatmeal. Thanks again!!:)

essnce629
02-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I ate my overnight oatmeal tonight and it was good but I think I'll leave out the lemon zest from the Whole Foods recipe next time. I put some honey in it to sweeten it, but I much prefer a little bit of brown sugar instead with some dried shredded coconut sprinkled on top. I think I'll be make it again tonight. I want to try it with some bananas, walnuts, and maple syrup.

eh613c
03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Add lots of seasonal fruits. It also gives it texture.

essnce629
03-01-2011, 05:17 AM
I love the whipped banana oatmeal from this blog http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal. It makes the oatmeal so creamy. For an extra treat, I'll often add a spoonful of natural peanut or almond butter or sometimes I make this as a dessert and stir in some nutella.

Whipped Banana Oatmeal

1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup 1% or skim or soy milk
1/2 cup water (I like my oats a bit liquidy – cut back to 1/3 a cup if you don’t)
1/2 a banana, sliced
1 tbsp chia seeds (they give the best fluffy texture!)
Pinch of kosher salt
Vanilla, stirred in at end

For two servings, we start by combining rolled oats, water, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Slice a banana into VERY thin pieces, leaving just a few bigger chunks. Walk away for a few minutes while the oatmeal heats. Once it begins to steam or bubble, stir vigorously at times to “whip” the banana into the oats. The oats will take about 5 minutes on medium heat from start to finish to fully absorb the liquid. They’re done when they reach your desired consistency! Then I stir in vanilla (and often pumpkin or cottage cheese) and portion into bowls. Add any toppings you like, such as almond or peanut butter dollops, nuts, granola, coconut, crumbled granola bars, or trail mix – with dark chocolate chips! Or check out all the combos listed below.

The whipped method produces a really creamy bowl of oats. The bananas basically disappear, so there are no chunks. Since banana is an emulsifier of sorts, this method suspends the oats into a thick, creamy consistency and the whole bowl is sweeter because the banana’s sweetness permeates throughout.

Oh wow, this was good! Super creamy! I made it with the bananas, plus peanut butter, chopped almonds, and shredded dried coconut.

And last night I did the overnight oatmeal with frozen peaches and in the morning I added bananas, brown sugar, and dried shredded coconut. Put it in the microwave for about a minute which heated up the bananas and melted the brown sugar (carmalized bananas). When I stirred it all up the bananas blended in just like in the whipped oatmeal recipe and it was creamy with lots of banana flavor. Yum and I think I'll have it again tomorrow!