PDA

View Full Version : I need to buy a printer

Nu_mama
02-26-2011, 02:42 PM
We have gone through several printers, both cheap and expensive and it is time to buy yet another one so I am looking for recs. Here is what I am looking for:

*Cheap & reliable
*No need to print photos
*Used mainly for B&W docs & internet coupon prints
*Reasonable ink replacement costs

In the last 5-7 years we have had:
A cheap canon that was ok, but fizzed out after awhile
A very expensive Kodak that became defective but Kodak wouldn't replace b/c I no longer had the receipt
And a mid-level Epson that I despised

Please Help!
Also, I would LOVE to order off Amazon today if at all possible.

kijip
02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
The reviews at cnet have never led me wrong for stuff like this.

Www.cnet.com

ssjarrett
02-26-2011, 04:59 PM
We have this laser printer and it has lasted 5+ years:

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-7340-Flatbed-Multi-Function-Center/dp/B001QVSE1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298753574&sr=8-1

It may be more than you need with the fax, scanner, and copier, but it was very reliable, and pretty cheap now. It's a laser printer, so toner is cheapest if you get generic ones online ($20ish now, but print 2500+ pages I think) and there is also a way to make it use all the toner and get even more pages out of it (basically you cover some holes with black tape--found this tip through an online search). Ours is now telling us to replace the drum soon, but again that can be done cheaper with generics too.

We just bought this one, since we now need color ability and like that you only have to change out the color cartridge you need and not all. Apparently Brother inks and toners are easy to find generics unlike some other brands...

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFCJ615w-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B003UAJBTS/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298753825&sr=1-13

Hopefully it will last as long as our other one has. (bought it at Staples for $80)

Good luck and HTH!

Tondi G
02-26-2011, 05:17 PM
we have an older printer scanner copier fax made by HP that is still going strong... prints nice pictures etc. We had horrible luck with Epson printers.... and didn't like Canon either. I vote for an HP.

Pinky
02-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Definitely get a laser printer if you just need black and white basic printing. We got a Samsung ML 2010 several years ago and have only had to replace the toner cartridge once... laser printers can print 1000's of pages and you never have the problem with ink drying up.

LMPC
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
We had a Brother laser printer and it lasted for 5+ years...the only reason we had to get rid of it was because it wasn't compatible with the new Windows OS. Now we have another Brother and love it too!

ETA: DH just corrected me...we now have a basic Dell b&w laser printer...I think it's the 1710 model or something very similar. We've had it for about 3 years.

SpaceGal
02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Get a good laser printer, we have an HP one from DH's work and it's great. We buy toner every 1-2 years and it does great for internet coupons and basic B&W printing. Laser toner will not dry out like inkjet...which is so frustrating.

Any good laser will be a good purchase. I like HP and I have heard good things about Samsung lasers as well. CNET is a good site to get reviews...as well as user reviews on amazon.

smiles33
02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
We got a Brother laser printer too. 7+ years old (maybe even 9? I can't remember if we bought it before we married). Black/white, network-ready (if you have multiple computers that may want to connect to it), very reliable and reasonably priced toner costs.

Nu_mama
02-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Thank you all so much! To be honest, I had not even considered a laser printer but based on your recomendations, I am going to look into one a little more. cnet, here I come.

AnnieW625
02-26-2011, 11:21 PM
We have a Canon Pixma all in one, which is 100 times better than the prior HP we had from 2003 to 2006. We bought this one in 2007. However while the ability to print photos quivkly is nice I don't think we'll buy another all in one. If we can find one that is small enough then we might do a laser instead.

kozachka
02-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Another vote for laser printer. We've had good luck with HP ones.

JElaineB
02-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree with a laser printer. Much lower ongoing costs than an ink jet. I've had the same one for years. My only issue is last time I bought a third-party toner cartridge and now the printing is terrible (blotchy and spots/streaks whenever I print). The manufactuer toner cartridge is much more expensive but I will stick to that in the future. I ony have to replace it every couple of years typically.