PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Processing Disorder

swrc00
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
DS turned two in November and was evaluated by the state EI program in January and missed the cut off by two point for speech qualification. We have started private speech session. At the evaluation we were given a sensory processing measure. Some of the areas come up as a concern and the evaluator suggested we get an OT evaluation. She said his scoring indicated he has a Sensory Processing Disorder. Insurance is not likely to cover any of this. We still haven't gotten a response if they will cover his speech. I am going to have him reevaluated by the EI program since they just evaluated for speech. Has anyone had any success of getting services from the EI program with SPD? At 3 DS can be evaluated by the school system, but I don't want to wait until November.

I would also love any advice from anyone about SPD. I have a list of books to get from previous threads.

DS is a biter and is in daycare fulltime. In the past week he has bitten three times. One of the suggestions was to move him to a smaller Montessori setting. Any thoughts?

crl
02-26-2011, 06:06 PM
DS received EI on the basis of a speech delay, fine motor delay and sensory processing disorder. I have no idea if he would have qualified on the basis of the sensory issues alone. The services for the sensory issues were OT. He got an hour per week of OT, but that was to address both the fine motor and the sensory issues.

Catherine

HIU8
02-26-2011, 08:30 PM
DS has SPD. It was confirmed at age 4.5. We went private as he was already to old. School age services cover handwriting issues etc...

Our insurance does cover OT as an out of network service.

A good book to start is The Out of Sync Child.

FWIW, Montessori (at leas for my DS) was a horrible idea. DS needs structure due to the SPD. Montessori is not going to offer a very structured environment. Does your county have PEP classes or special ed preschool of any sort? Also, you may want to look into private preschools for SN kids.

Pepper
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Re: the biting, just some thoughts for you...is DS biting because he's anrgy? Or is it kind of random, like he's playing fine and all of a sudden he bites?

My DS1 (almost 5yo) has been getting OT for SPD for more than a year. We took him for a private eval at a private OT that specializes in SPD. He is sensory seeking, but also physically defensive - so if another kid got too close to him he would hit the other kid. He was also seeking oral-motor input a lot so I got him some of those chewy tube things, send chewy & crunchy snacks to school, etc. OT has helped a lot with the hitting, pinching and biting behaviors.

swrc00
02-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Re: the biting, just some thoughts for you...is DS biting because he's anrgy? Or is it kind of random, like he's playing fine and all of a sudden he bites?

My DS1 (almost 5yo) has been getting OT for SPD for more than a year. We took him for a private eval at a private OT that specializes in SPD. He is sensory seeking, but also physically defensive - so if another kid got too close to him he would hit the other kid. He was also seeking oral-motor input a lot so I got him some of those chewy tube things, send chewy & crunchy snacks to school, etc. OT has helped a lot with the hitting, pinching and biting behaviors.

DS's biting has been both provoked and unprovoked. His teacher says the unprovoked incidences are more like "love bites". He has never broken the skin or left a mark. The most recent provoked incidences involved a child sitting in his chair at snack time and a child that pushed DS out of the way while DS was at the sink.

He does have a chewy toy that has helped a lot.

swrc00
02-26-2011, 11:28 PM
DS has SPD. It was confirmed at age 4.5. We went private as he was already to old. School age services cover handwriting issues etc...

Our insurance does cover OT as an out of network service.

A good book to start is The Out of Sync Child.

FWIW, Montessori (at leas for my DS) was a horrible idea. DS needs structure due to the SPD. Montessori is not going to offer a very structured environment. Does your county have PEP classes or special ed preschool of any sort? Also, you may want to look into private preschools for SN kids.

I am so glad you shared your thoughts on Montessori. This is exactly what I am thinking. DS craves structure and many of his biting incidences have occured when their has been a change in his schedule. I think the lack of structure would be terrible for him. Thanks!

brittone2
02-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I am so glad you shared your thoughts on Montessori. This is exactly what I am thinking. DS craves structure and many of his biting incidences have occured when their has been a change in his schedule. I think the lack of structure would be terrible for him. Thanks!

I think a lot of Montessori schools also have higher ratios for staff/students, so something where he might have closer supervision may be helpful (for the biting).

Sometimes the biting is a reaction to a perceived intrusion into personal space. In kids with a sensory processing disorder, another child may not really be in their space, but it can feel that way to them. Alternatively, they may get into the personal space of others and not realize how close they are, and tend to be the child who gets hit/bitten as a reaction from other kids.

OT is often covered by EI, but different states run their programs differently. In many states EI is covered regardless of income (if the child qualifies for services) whereas other states have sliding scales and other payment arrangements.

FWIW, it can be very tough to get sensory issues covered by the school system. If you can get coverage at all for it, it will likely be easier in the 0-3 system vs. 3+. Many parents with kids who have sensory issues end up doing private pay for OT, especially at 3+.