PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop Easel vs. Floor Easel?

Katigre
02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm starting to do more art with the kids from Mary Ann Kohl's books (http://www.amazon.com/MaryAnn-F.-Kohl/e/B001KCGEZW/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_3?qid=1298761783&sr=8-3). Currently, we have an IKEA floor easel which usually stays in the closet. I'm considering getting a tabletop easel that the kids could share when we do art projects.

Anyone have one? Pro's/con's? Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
02-27-2011, 11:14 AM
We never used our table top easel. One, if you push on it, it can slide around- annoying. You might be able to find one that won't slide though. There's something nice about being able to stand at the easel to really move your body and make art too. I hated that it took up valuable table space and then didn't get any love. The floor easels can hold bigger paper. We've been far happier with the floor easel.

Beth

Seitvonzu
02-27-2011, 11:37 AM
i too have the ikea easel, but have been tempted by tabletop easels... i'm thinking it's because our ikea easel falls down ? (is that normal? i don't think it is...but maybe?) now that my child is older maybe it would be less likely to happen? but i need to figure out a good way to have the paint conveniently accessible. i think i'll finally be investing in the paint jars with lids....our watercolor sets are a whole other issue....but i'm going to try and work on a system for that too. i'd like painting to get more love. i have actually had good success with lu painting on the table, but FROM her learning tower (instead of sitting in a chair...)-- maybe that's some of the full body art participation beth refered to?

i wanted to post though because i've ordered about 10 of those art books from my library-- they look SO cool! i'd never have known about that author without reading your post! i was a big "art/craft" kid growing up....so the idea of neato projects gets my mommy juices following :) i love the idea of math/science art and the "storybook" and "makebelieve" art. my library had a billion of these books-- all available, so --hooray!!! i'm not usually one who wants to make her house into preschool (and my kid doesn't respond to stuff like that anyhow....), but if it's a biproduct of art? COOL :)

BayGirl2
02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
We recently got one of the table top easels from Alex Toys. We use it on the kitchen counter with the Learning Tower. So its still the standing up effect, but a little more contained, and it lets him be closer to us while we're in the kitchen. (Drawing has replaced play doh in that spot.) It can move around, but not while he's coloring, he moves it intentionally and has learned how to turn it around from chalk board to white board. (We have dry erase crayons for the white side.)

If you order the Alex brand online be careful of what model numbers and descriptions are given. I got mine from Totsy and it was not the one advertised and I think Amazon has a similar issue. The mfgr product numbers seem to be screwed up.

I really prefer the table top to floor. It takes up a lot less space, is easier to store, and we leave can leave it out most of the time.

larig
02-27-2011, 02:17 PM
i too have the ikea easel, but have been tempted by tabletop easels... i'm thinking it's because our ikea easel falls down ? (is that normal? i don't think it is...but maybe?) now that my child is older maybe it would be less likely to happen? but i need to figure out a good way to have the paint conveniently accessible. i think i'll finally be investing in the paint jars with lids....our watercolor sets are a whole other issue....but i'm going to try and work on a system for that too. i'd like painting to get more love. i have actually had good success with lu painting on the table, but FROM her learning tower (instead of sitting in a chair...)-- maybe that's some of the full body art participation beth refered to?

Our Ikea easel is quite stable, and hasn't ever fallen down--yours doesn't sound very fun for painting, and can see why you'd be tempted by others.

for the paint--DS got these for xmas. We like them so far. they don't come with brushes. When we've used Palmer brand paints (only brand we've tried) an inch of the paint will stay wet for many days (over a week) with the lids on.
http://www.amazon.com/Spill-Proof-Paint-Cups-Set/dp/B000FAB7I4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1298830413&sr=8-1-catcorr

ahrimie
02-27-2011, 05:02 PM
We have the Ikea one too. Ours doesn't fall down but to keep it in place, we have to place it by the wall. I have it intersecting a corner so that DD and I can draw at the same time.

larig
02-27-2011, 07:21 PM
We have the Ikea one too. Ours doesn't fall down but to keep it in place, we have to place it by the wall. I have it intersecting a corner so that DD and I can draw at the same time.

Okay, we've only ever had ours backed up to something too, maybe that's why ours hasn't fallen?

Seitvonzu
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
i should probalby temper the "falling down" statement a bit.... my child would try to MOVE the easy and would lift the tray part, etc. it was sorta a mess..but she's FIERCELY independent and she was well under the recommended age for it-- so yeah...it was most likely "user" error and she was always supervised (i.e., we never had an incident with it falling down...just a shocked mommy!!!)

i've been meaning to get the m&d paint cups for forever and just never do. i think it's time. i'm loathe to buy too much painting stuff...but as soon as i put the easel out today, my child totally covered a piece of paper with drawing :) -- which was AWESOME for her :) so...yeah.. i'm going to try the painting again :)

Katigre
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
i should probalby temper the "falling down" statement a bit.... my child would try to MOVE the easy and would lift the tray part, etc. it was sorta a mess..but she's FIERCELY independent and she was well under the recommended age for it-- so yeah...it was most likely "user" error and she was always supervised (i.e., we never had an incident with it falling down...just a shocked mommy!!!)

i've been meaning to get the m&d paint cups for forever and just never do. i think it's time. i'm loathe to buy too much painting stuff...but as soon as i put the easel out today, my child totally covered a piece of paper with drawing :) -- which was AWESOME for her :) so...yeah.. i'm going to try the painting again :)
The books linked above are AWESOME for figuring out how to do art that is creative for the child but not too hard for the adult to figure out. I love "First Art" and "Preschool Art" and my kids love projects from each one :).

Seitvonzu
02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
i have preschool art and first art both on hold-- can't wait! :)

Katigre
02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
I went to Lakeshore Learning today and bought this tabletop easel: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302107852~~.jsp

We used it this afternoon and what I really like is that the tray underneath is long enough for both kids to have their supplies on it (vs. the IKEA easel that only has the tray on one side). I wish it was foldable, but it's small enough to put in a closet on a storage box.