PDA

View Full Version : When did DC learn to ride a bicycle (no training wheels)?

MMMommy
02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
At what age did your DC learn to ride a regular bike (two wheels)? DDs do not know how to ride a bike without the training wheels yet. We rarely take them bike riding, and I know we should try to practice and do it more often. At this rate, I'm wondering if they will learn when they are in college! :bag

hillview
02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
HA well I'd have voted other. DS1 could bike up and down the street just before he turned 5 but didn't want to do it so we put training wheels back on. He is 5.5 now and it is too snowy to do it but not sure what he will decide this spring.
/hillary

kdeunc
02-26-2011, 09:14 PM
DS1 learned at 6/7. DS2 is still using training wheels at 6. So by our scale you are just fine! :D

Dr C
02-26-2011, 09:18 PM
DS learned about a week after his fourth birthday and it was completely because he rode a balance bike. Those things are AWESOME. They are like a bike with two wheels with no pedals or training wheels. Kids as young as two can push the bike along with their feet and when they get comfortable they will pick up their feet and glide. After playing with the balance bike (we had a Skuut) for about 2 months, DS was riding his regular bike without training wheels like a pro. The Skuut has since been passed around our neighborhood and pretty much every kid over age 4 is now riding without training wheels.

KrisM
02-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I voted for DD, since you have DDs. She learned at 3 years 3 months. DS1 learned a day after turning 4 yo. I suspect DS2 will learn this summer.

They all started on balance bikes and quickly moved to a 12" 2-wheeler. WE ride bikes daily in nice weather.

niccig
02-26-2011, 09:24 PM
3 years 9 months. DS had a balance bike at 3 and we moved him to a 12" bike without training wheels 9 months later. Seeing I was over 7 and still on training wheels, I was very impressed with the balance bike. We passed it on to his cousin and he's 4yo and ready for a regular bike too.

DS loved the balance bike so we would ride every day the 1 block to the park and he would scoot around in between playing on the equipment. Friend's DDs had the balance bike at the same time, but they didn't ride it as much and their DDs took a little longer to move to a bike without training wheels, around 5 years old.

elliput
02-26-2011, 09:40 PM
DD is 6 and is still using training wheels, but she does have some developmental issues which contribute here.

Corie
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Both of my kids learned to ride their bikes without training wheels
right when they turned 6 yrs. old.

o_mom
02-26-2011, 09:47 PM
DS1 was just after he turned 5, DS2 was on his 4th birthday. DS3 will probably be just before he turns 4 (as soon as the weather turns here). ETA; we never used training wheels here, just balance bike.

MMMommy
02-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Wow! Many just a little over 3 years old! What coordinated little ones you have!

Melanie
02-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Dd was 4 1/2 thanks to the balance bike! Never used training wheels.

Ds was 6 1/2 and had been on a bike with training wheels forever, but borrowed his little sister's too-big-balance bike for a few months then got on his bike and rode off.

Melanie
02-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Wow! Many just a little over 3 years old! What coordinated little ones you have!

It's all about the balance bike! They learn to find their balance before pedaling.

Gena
02-26-2011, 10:52 PM
DS is 6.5 and still needs training wheels. Given his motor skill delays and his visual impairment, I wouldn't be surprised if he will need them for quite some time.

KrisM
02-26-2011, 11:00 PM
It's all about the balance bike! They learn to find their balance before pedaling.

I agree. We bought the bike for DD and DS1 borrowed it for a few days and then asked for his training wheels to come off. I really don't think he would have learned that soon without the balance bike.

KDsMommy
02-26-2011, 11:14 PM
DS has been riding without training wheels since a week after his 3rd birthday. I totally attribute that to his Strider balance bike!

MissyAg94
02-27-2011, 12:02 AM
My DD was four. And no balance bike! ;)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-27-2011, 12:34 AM
At what age did your DC learn to ride a regular bike (two wheels)? DDs do not know how to ride a bike without the training wheels yet. We rarely take them bike riding, and I know we should try to practice and do it more often. At this rate, I'm wondering if they will learn when they are in college! :bag

I am 32 and never learned. I repeat, I CANNOT ride a bike. :bag:bag:bag:bag:bag:bag
It's on my bucket list.....

MMMommy
02-27-2011, 12:40 AM
I am 32 and never learned. I repeat, I CANNOT ride a bike. :bag:bag:bag:bag:bag:bag

Do not feel bad. I can barely even call myself a bike rider. My only experience bike riding is on a completely level, flat surface that is void of any cars, traffic or people around me. Think level, empty parking lot. I have never rode up a hill, down a hill, or in any normal traffic situation.

I have spent more time on a recumbent exercise bike than a real bike!

niccig
02-27-2011, 12:46 AM

It's the balance bikes. They learn balance on that and pedalling on a trike. When DS was gliding for 50' on the balance bike, we knew he was ready for a pedal bike. It only took a couple of goes for him to figure out the pedalling with the balance and he was off. We ride on a quietish bike path along the beach and people would be amazed at such a small child, DS is short for age too, riding without training wheels. But it was really easy for him.

Jenny_A
02-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Oh that makes me feel so much better!! DD is 5 and is awful awful at riding WITH training wheels. We actually practiced yesterday and she LET'S GO of the handle bars if she gets scared or the bike gets wobbly. Ugh! Stop that DD! Anyway, I was worried that she would never learn. I can relax now. You turned out just fine, went on to have kids and a family, so I'm not going to sweat it any more. Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

american_mama
02-27-2011, 01:17 AM
I am pretty sure DD1 was 4, possibly 5. I ordered a balance bike for her Christmas present, and she learned to ride a 2 wheeler before it arrived in the mail; luckily, it was a kind that also converted to a bike with pedals so we still got use out of it. Strangely, DD2, who is the more athletic child by a lot, learned later, when she was 5, I believe. DD2 didn't like her bike - maybe because it was that same balance bike set up with no pedals, and the balance bikes have been a bust with my kids - and always chose the scooter instead. Then she saw an older neighbor sort of riding a 2 wheeler and got competitive, and then she could ride.

I voted for DD1 at age 4 because I specifically remember everything about her learning to ride, just a little hazy about the year. DD2 is a less distinct memory.

eta: The balance bikes have not been a hit here even though *I* think they're great. DD1 learned before it ever arrived and DD2 actively resisted the balance bike. I have a cheap Walmart balance bike for DS, and he refuses it too, preferring a very cool motorcycle ride-on that requires no balance.

Nooknookmom
02-27-2011, 02:23 AM
DD1 was 4. I still remember letting her go and viola! She was on the move.

brittone2
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
DS1 was 5, but I am sure he could have done it earlier. He was awesome on his balance bike and rode that thing for 2 years (age 3 to 5). We had a 2 wheeled pedal bike for him, but it was big for him, and he wasn't complaining about the balance bike at the time...so we just let it go until he grew into the 2 wheeler with pedals. Once he was tall enough he learned in like an hour's time.

DD was almost exactly 3.5. She had been riding the balance bike since 2-2.5. It was crazy to see her just take off. It took her about an hour or less once DD's little cousin brought over her 2 wheeler w/ pedals. DD does tend to be pretty athletic/coordinated for her age.

kerridean
02-27-2011, 12:31 PM
dd 1- age 6
dd 2 age 4 (taught herself 2 hours after seeing her sister ride down the road sans training wheels:)).

I have never heard of this balance bike????. Off to google.

bubbaray
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Between age 3 - 4, no balance bikes here.

giavila
02-27-2011, 01:26 PM
DD1 learned right when she turned 6. This is with DH making extra effort to take her out, she doesn't spend a lot of time riding her bike. She was more into her razor scooter still at that age. But, DH felt like it was time for her to learn.

groundhog74
02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
DS is 7 and still hasn't done it. I guess we need to try harder. :bag

JElaineB
02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
DS is 7 and still hasn't done it. I guess we need to try harder. :bag

I'm right there with you at age 8.5 We've been trying since 4. Hopefully this year will be the year. I feel less guilty since a woman at work told me her 24 year old never learned how to ride a bike despite numerous attempts. I guess some kids never do.

essnce629
02-27-2011, 04:50 PM
I didn't vote since DS1 refuses to allow us to buy him a bike! He just doesn't want one he says and has no interest in learning how to ride one-- with or without training wheels! He had a balance bike when he was 4, but we lived in an apartment then and he didn't get many chances to ride it. He does like his scooter though. I'm wondering if we should just buy him a bike and hope he'll want to get on it.

I learned how to ride a 2 wheel bike when I was 5.

hellokitty
02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I didn't vote, b/c both my older boys learned at the same time through a, "learn to ride a bike in a day" program, sponsored by the PT dept at the hospital and by some other businesses, like bike shops. They were ages 4 and 5 and I was truly amazed. They figured it out in a 30 min slot!

ThreeofUs
02-27-2011, 05:26 PM
It really matters how much they're on bikes. Up here in the frozen north, a lot of our friends' kids learned riding around their basements.

HIU8
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Didn't vote. DS is 6 and refuses to ride sans training wheels. I'm hoping this summer we can convince him. DD will be 4 and is so ready. She will be without training wheels before DS is.

twindad
02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Age 3 years and 7 months for both of my girls thanks to balance bikes.

thomma
02-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Almost 8 and still working on it here...
it's on our list of things to do.
Part of the problem is our gravel driveway and no smooth/safe surface for them to practice on.