PDA

View Full Version : Where (and how) do you store your kids clothes that don't fit yet?

jess_g
02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
I have 2 boys. I have some clothes from the older boy that will I want to hand down to the younger boy but they do not fit the younger boy yet. One boy is a size 10 and one is a size 6, so I have clothes in sizes 7, 8, and 10 to sort out and store somewhere. I am wondering what you do with your too big hand me downs? I don't want to put them in my sons draws yet, since we don't have much room in there. Any ideas would be great. I am realy trying to get more organized with the laundry here.

Jessica.

hillview
02-26-2011, 10:35 PM
I have them in steralite boxes ... I go through them every season or 2 to see what will fit DS2. I keep them in DS1's closet (he has the room)
/hillary

Dr C
02-26-2011, 10:37 PM
We use big plastic storage containers. I label the boxes by size and, if I'm really organized, I split them up by season (if there are enough clothes in that particular size). We keep them in our attic, though there is a box in each kid's closet with stuff that I think they'll grow into soon.

Melanie
02-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I have them in labeled bins (purple ones from Target - rubbermaid? sterlite? not sure which). When I was saving all of Ds' clothing (before we got PG with a girl) I had them labeled by size and in the garage (they are nearly 4 years a part). Now that I don't have anything (or much of anything) to hand down we don't keep the things which are too small. Ds has one bin in his closet of clothing for the next size up (labeled with the size b/c I have this fear something will happen to me and they'll never wear the clothing I worked so hard to source!). Dd has...ahem...three bins in her closet. :bag She used to have two - one for spring/summer and one for winter/fall but I got some good deals on outerwear this year and they take up A LOT of room. Hers I don't usually label the size...just the season.

When we had the typical closets with those extraordinarily high top shelves that is where I put the bins. Right now Dd's are on the bottom, Ds has one on a shelf. If you want to get really specific. ;) If their beds had good "unders" I would instead have them in those under-the-bed boxes - but they have loft beds and before that low-profile frames.

I think I'm going to add some lavendar sachets to the bins to avoid pest issues. I've been reading about several people having issues - with COTTONS (and Organic cottons) on gymbofriends lately. Normally I only do that with woolens, but I"m going to get some for these bins now, too.

ETA: If you go the bin route - remember to roll the clothing - you can fit a lot more that way.

smiles33
02-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Rather than use huge bins, I put them in the clear plastic comforter/blanket zippered pouches so they can be compressed/stacked in a smaller space.

neeleymartin
02-26-2011, 11:10 PM
i have mine sorted by season and relative size in plastic containers in the attic. so for summer this year, i have a tote filled with size 2t/3t/4t stuff from ds1 for ds2. they are all summer so whatever doesn't fit will get passed on. i tend not to sort by size b/c i am afraid i will miss a cute summer or winter outfit that was a different size...hope that makes sense...sounds screwy as i read it back. let me know if you need clarification.

WatchingThemGrow
02-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Stuff in our house doesn't have time to go into the attic, except for the really bulky winter pj's or used Hanna LJ's 2 sizes too big. Everything else is hung in the closet with those size dividers (http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Buddy-Size-Closet-Organizers/dp/B00005BU51). REALLY liking having everything visible. I *think* it keeps me from overbuying.

KrisM
02-26-2011, 11:57 PM
I use the super big Ziploc bags. I sort by item type. I found this easier for me than by size. I don't really know why, but it does!

I have bags for pants, shorts, pajamas, short-sleeve shirts, long-sleeve shirts. Also, I buy most things at mom2mom sales, so I sell many things and just keep the harder to find items. Nice pajamas are kept, jeans with no holes are kept, special shirts or character shirts are kept. A blue and white striped shirt that I got for $1??? Sell it!

ett
02-27-2011, 12:21 AM
I sort them by size and store them in the large plastic containers in our basement.

citymama
02-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Clear Sterlite bins. My kids are 4 years apart so they can't sit in the closet that long! Mine haven't been well organized, but one day I'll get to it.

Dream
02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
I used to store them in big boxes but it takes up so much space, now I store them in big space bags that I can compress by vacuming the air out.

MommyAllison
02-27-2011, 02:03 AM
I sort them by size and store them in the large plastic containers in our basement.

:yeahthat:

jvs195
02-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Before we had DD I stored all the items I wanted to keep in large clear bins with size labels. I have a huge closet in my basement where I can keep them. Once I knew DC #2 was a girl I weeded out the really boyish things and sold/donated. I keep a bin for each of next size if I buy ahead or have something that can be passed down from DS to DD. I have a bin in each DC's closet to stash outgrown items for sale/donation/passing on.