PDA

View Full Version : Cool mist humidifier

boilermakermom
02-27-2011, 07:07 AM
I need to purchase a new cool mist humidifier for dd's room. Right now we have a Holmes, that is relatively quiet. It uses filters, which we change around every 10-12 weeks b/c of our hard water.

There are so many options...does anyone have one they like? I have heard great things about the Germ Guardian ones, but not sure how loud they actually are.

Dream
02-27-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm looking for one too and started a thread but didn't get much response. Hopefully others will response.

dec756
02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
we have the viks and i dont like it...hth :)

truly scrumptious
02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
We have an Air-o-Swiss ultrasonic one which we like a lot. It is very quiet, especially compared to the filter ones we used before.

oneplustwo
02-27-2011, 11:22 AM
I was looking for a new humidifier a while ago and remember scanning all the old threads for recommendations. :) There weren't a ton. The Air-O-Swiss was recommended the most, it seemed, but the reviews I found on Amazon all seemed to be mixed.

We ended up going with an Idylis 2.5 gallon cool mist ultrasonic humidifer: http://idylishome.com/humidifier_2.5_gallon.html It's a brand only sold at Lowe's, I think. I can't find it online at Lowe's right now but they may still have them in stores. The larger version is online though. It got lots of positive reviews, says it's made with BPA-free plastic and doesn't require filters, so we tried it. It's GREAT. Silent, very easy to clean, seems to be very well made, great controls for humidity levels, etc. ~ the kids love the blue night light that can be turned on in the water tank; DH loves that the control panel's lights can be turned off at night. We've had it for two months now and so far so good.

hillview
02-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I got 2 air-o-swiss ones and really like it -- much better than the Crane one we had (animal) it was $$ and you have to buy filters -- I tried the distilled water but that was a gallon at $1 a day!

Good luck!
/hillary

FTMLuc
02-27-2011, 02:24 PM
We had the Germ Guardian one and it died after 2 weeks. Was a pain to fill, heavy and cumbersome, DH had to do it , which was not convenient for the times when he was away on business. I got the Crane penguin and so far no complaints.

LMPC
02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
We have the Crane frog one. No filters, but we do use distilled water because our water is well water. 2 years running and no issues.

mom2khj
02-27-2011, 06:06 PM
We have the Crane elephant. Very quiet and works great!

HIU8
02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
We have two small Germ Guardian's. We love them. Easy to fill and no filters to deal with. We have been using them for 2 years now in DD and DS's rooms.

barkley1
02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
We have a Vick's one I got at CVS. They also have them at Walmart. There is an audible "whoosh", but I actually really like that. It blocks out sounds much better than DS's sound machine. We've had it for almost 2 years w/ no problems. you just can't let it sit w/o cleaning, and change the filter ($11 I think) as directed.

boilermakermom
02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
as much as I want the Germ Guardian, I can't justify the $169. I just can't. We haven't had the technology before, and DD has been healthy.

I am leaning towards the Crane Animals, but want to do a bit more research.

Beth24
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
as much as I want the Germ Guardian, I can't justify the $169. I just can't. We haven't had the technology before, and DD has been healthy.

I am leaning towards the Crane Animals, but want to do a bit more research.

I've been really happy with the Crane animals.

Dream
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Are crane animals easy to clean?

Beth24
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes. Very. I like the penguin and elephant because the mist comes out upwards from their noses.

Tondi G
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
we have a Crane frog. We've had it for 5 years. Used it last night... still going strong. I do wish there was a way to actually get into the tank and scrub it but I usually just rinse it, then put in some vinegar and hot water let it sit for a while and then rinse and let it dry out. My boys saw the penguin not too long ago and asked if we could buy it.

boilermakermom
02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
For those of you who responded with the Crane Animals...do you use it every night? How long has it lasted you? Do you feel it does a good job putting out humidity...in other words - if LO is congested does it help? How much white noise does it provide?