PDA

View Full Version : Should I get another stroller?

khaag55
02-27-2011, 07:48 AM
I currently have the city mini and I LOVE it, however, I am wondering if I should get an umbrella stroller as well.

ahrimie
02-27-2011, 07:51 AM
I think it depends on why you think you want an umbrella. I was a one stroller mom for the longest time, then became a 2 stroller mom... soon to be a 3 :)

I have the Bee and LOVE it but now that I have an older toddler, I wanted to get an even lighter stroller. If you post your needs/wants, the mamas can all chime in with recs and deals!

khaag55
02-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Well I was fine with just the CM until I went on a playdate to the train museum and it was a pain in the elevator and when we decided to walk around down town after and get lunch, it was just taking up so much room. We dont travel and mainly use the stroller in stores and outting like the zoo and such. However, it would be nice to have something smaller in a store like say, marshalls where the isles are so tiny. Just trying to decide if its worth the money to have both.

MamaMichelle
02-27-2011, 08:23 AM
I currently have the city mini and I LOVE it, however, I am wondering if I should get an umbrella stroller as well.

How can anyone answer that but you? I realize this is a forum to discuss and exchange ideas, but why ask a question that no one here can intelligently answer because we know nothing about you or your personal circumstance. :duh:

No offense. :wavey:

Mommaof3
02-27-2011, 08:35 AM
I have a bjcm and it is too wide in some instances so I would get an umbrella too to compliment it.

khaag55
02-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Um sorry I thought I typed it and it must have got deleted before I posted. I dont think its that big of a deal, I quickly gave the information that was needed ;)

artvandalay
02-27-2011, 09:23 AM
How can anyone answer that but you? I realize this is a forum to discuss and exchange ideas, but why ask a question that no one here can intelligently answer because we know nothing about you or your personal circumstance. :duh:

Cut her some slack, she's new.

OP you mentioned that you would use it in stores around isles, I think that's a great idea. There's been alot of posts recently on this subject, people with a BJCM getting an umbrella.

I think if you want something easier to maneuver around isles and elevators, getting an umbrella is a great idea. I have a BJCM and just got a Triumph. I plan on using the BJCM for everything except for running into stores/quick errands. I like pushing my BJCM too much and enjoy using it.

swrc00
02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
I have an older model BJCM and am in the market for an umbrella. Getting out of tight places like pps said is hard with the BJCM. Since I have the older BJCM, DS slouches in the seat. An umbrella will give him a more upright position. HTH

khaag55
02-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone recommend a good one for a shorter mom? I'm 5'2 and kinda find the cm to be too high.

poohbear
02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I have an older model BJCM and am in the market for an umbrella. Getting out of tight places like pps said is hard with the BJCM. Since I have the older BJCM, DS slouches in the seat. An umbrella will give him a more upright position. HTH

You can put a board in the back of your BJCM. Or you can order a PE board - they're $12 shipped from www.countrymoosekids.com.
It should help the slouching problem.

I have the BJCM and 2 Macs. Use them for different things. Don't find them redundant (well the 2 Macs are, but they're living in different places - one is here and one is at Grandma's). The umbrella is definitely easier for public transportation, museums, etc, but you sacrifice features...

And this forum is an excellent place to ask these questions - don't worry about it. Even we who have many strollers ask the question "do I need another?" :)

poohbear
02-27-2011, 10:14 AM

I think OP came to this forum to ask for help. That's why we're here :wavey:
Obviously she doesn't feel like she can answer that herself, which is why she posted it. She did explain well enough for me to understand, and many of us who have many strollers can answer without much background anyway because we know the strollers. I'm sure you didn't mean for it to sound nasty or offensive, but like we often say to the kids, if you have to say "no offense" it's probably something that shouldn't be said in the first place. Sometimes things come across in print that are not meant the way they look...

blondflava
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I also have a BJCM and found I do need an umbrella as well in some cases, just as PPs said, whenever a smaller footprint is a bonus, during shorter errands, library, or air travel (I wouldn't want to risk a 200 stroller versus a 60 one!). With spring and summer coming, I will predominantly try to spend time outdoors, though, and that will be the job for BJCM, but it is nice to have the option of both!

arivecchi
02-27-2011, 10:33 AM

No offense. :wavey::47: Whoa. If you don't have the answer to question, I would just skip the thread.

OP, I think an umbrella makes sense in the circumstances you describe. Umbrella strollers are great for crowded stores or aisles.

artvandalay
02-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone recommend a good one for a shorter mom? I'm 5'2 and kinda find the cm to be too high.

Well, since you are shorter you have way more options. I am tall and I either kick the back or have to hunch over with alot of umbrellas.

If it's just an errand stroller, I would try and find the lightest most comfortable one for you and your kid, you don't need a bunch of bells and whistles. I would head to BRU, put your kid in a bunch of them and just test them out. I usually do this and then come home and read reviews/or read reviews and then test them out.

Oh and if you ask on the stroller forum if you need another stroller, you will almost always get a 'yes' :ROTFLMAO: 'cause everyone here loves strollers!

Good luck and like poohbear said, you can always come here with questions!

khaag55
02-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks girls :) I tried out a Maclaren quest sport and love it. But man 230 is a little steep. How does it compare to the triumph? I think that one is a good deal as well. My ds is 21 months and the volo didnt really suit him well, it looked a little bit uncomfy for him. Should I look into cybex as well? I have a 70 dollar credit from diapers.com so I need to find something they sell.

Kaylee31
02-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks girls :) I tried out a Maclaren quest sport and love it. But man 230 is a little steep. How does it compare to the triumph? I think that one is a good deal as well. My ds is 21 months and the volo didnt really suit him well, it looked a little bit uncomfy for him. Should I look into cybex as well? I have a 70 dollar credit from diapers.com so I need to find something they sell.

I think you should get a Triumph from Diapers and try it out. If you didn't like it for any reason, you can easily return it. I never had a Quest, but I think the only major difference between it and the Triumph is the footrest. I also have a BJCM, and wanted a lighter, narrower stroller for errands and quick trips. I had a Cybex Topaz and a Mac Volo before. The Topaz was too much stroller (too heavy for a lightweight; handles too tall for my 5'2"), and the Volo not enough (doesn't have a very firm or supportive seat) at the time for my now 19 mo. old DS. I just got a '10 green/gray Triumph w/the new hinges and I'm really liking it so far. I thought the seat might not be comfortable for him b/c it seems shallow, but we tried it out this weekend and it worked well. Has about the same push of the BJCM, but feels lighter and I felt like we were really zipping around in it! :D

arivecchi
02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
OP, I sent you a PM.

poohbear
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I think you should get a Triumph from Diapers and try it out. If you didn't like it for any reason, you can easily return it. I never had a Quest, but I think the only major difference between it and the Triumph is the footrest.

Main differences between triumph and quest are:
quest has extendable legrest (we have this on our ryder - never use it)
quest has upgraded canopy (my triumph actually has this - wouldn't pay extra for it)
quest has two handed bar recline which is *slightly* deeper than triumph. Triumph has a strap recline. I would not pay extra for a quest unless it was only a $10 difference or you loved the color of the Quest.
Quest weighs slightly more.

I have a Triumph and a BJCM and I think it's a great combo. (I also have a Ryder, but that is more comparable to a BJCM and more stroller than you would need)
You can probably score a Triumph for about $100-115. Gilt just had them for $110 with a free liner last week... If they didn't sell out, you could contact them to purchase one...
Strollers.com has the 2011 in red for $135 which you could get diapers.com to pricematch
Resale on Macs is great as well..

lhafer
02-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Cut her some slack, she's new.

OP you mentioned that you would use it in stores around isles, I think that's a great idea. There's been alot of posts recently on this subject, people with a BJCM getting an umbrella.

I think if you want something easier to maneuver around isles and elevators, getting an umbrella is a great idea. I have a BJCM and just got a Triumph. I plan on using the BJCM for everything except for running into stores/quick errands. I like pushing my BJCM too much and enjoy using it.

:yeahthat:

This is me too. I have a 2010 BJCM and just got a 2010 Triumph and love both. I keep both in the car, and use which ever one serves my purposes best for the trip.

I seriously thought about a Quest instead of the Triumph, but decided it was just too much like the CM. If I need more "stroller" then I just take the mini. For the quicky errands - the triumph is perfect.

I also have a Volo and didn't like that it didn't have a recline. My baby still sleeps quite a bit in the car and on errand (she just turned a year old last week), so I wanted something with some recline.

khaag55
02-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Ok last question :) How does the triumph compare to the g luxe? I really like the canopy on the gluxe. Oh and I have heard the MACs tipp easy, which would kinda bother me.

poohbear
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Ok last question :) How does the triumph compare to the g luxe? I really like the canopy on the gluxe. Oh and I have heard the MACs tipp easy, which would kinda bother me.

Someone in another thread compared them as coke and pepsi. It's a personal preference thing.
Basically any umbrella stroller is going to be tippy if you hang anything on it (but not when a baby is in it). I hang bags on my Macs, but if I take DS out before the bags, the stroller will tip. It will not tip when he's in it. You can counterweigh the stroller by putting a water bottle in the basket or some people put ankle weights on the front. I'm quite certain that the G-Luxe will tip as well, it's just the nature of the umbrella because it only weighs 11 lbs or so. It is not going to feel as solid as your BJCM.

The 2010 GLuxes are going for good deals now. I know gilt had them for about $100. The newer ones are more. The canopies on the GLuxes are better than the Macs. I don't know enough about them other than that...

HTH!

lhafer
02-27-2011, 11:39 PM

I did a pretty long comparison between a lot of different umbrella strollers on here a while back.

I would say the G-Luxe and the Quest are very similar - especially the 2011 G-Luxe because of the leg rest. The canopy is better on the G-Luxe. It is not quite as tippy. It has a standing fold. But it is also longer and a bit bulkier when folded.

I think it really depends on how you want to use the umbrella stroller vs. the CM. It came down to a Triumph/Quest and the G-Luxe for me. In the end I chose the Triumph (a 2010 model with the new hinges). This is because I felt like for MY needs, the G-luxe and the Quest were just too much like the BJCM. I wanted a smaller foot print of a stroller for the quick in and out errands to Dr. Offices, tight shopping places, restaurants, etc. I wanted something with a bit of a recline because my Volo has none. I wanted something that is sturdy, and will last me a long time.

It will also be my travel stroller. But we don't travel often, and rarely fly. And when we do travel, it's usually by car, and not very often. So in those instances I will probably take both strollers and use what's more appropriate at the time.

If you plan on using it for more traveling (than what I do), and your LO is still pretty little (say under 2 years old), I would probably consider the G-Luxe. It was just a little too much stroller for what I was looking for.

It seriously just comes down to your needs for the stroller and your wants.

Here's a picture of my 1 year old sleeping in the Triumph. This is why I don't like the Volo and wanted something with a bit of recline. She fell asleep in the car, and I was able to put her into the stroller without waking her, and went into the store, where she slept for quite a while longer. The stroller is fully reclined in these pictures.

Jelly Bean
02-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I've now had a Quest and G-luxe (2011) and the G-luxe wins for my needs. Quest is a great stroller and I love the compact fold and it feels like it glides on air. When I go to the mall, it's great. But the reason I got the G-luxe instead is mostly because of the sunshade (even for walking from the parking garage to a restaurant, then a bookstore, and then window shopping, and for our frequent trips to FL to visit family). I went to see it in person and the other features won me over. See my review in another thread!

artvandalay
02-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I just got a '10 green/gray Triumph w/the new hinges and I'm really liking it so far. I thought the seat might not be comfortable for him b/c it seems shallow, but we tried it out this weekend and it worked well. Has about the same push of the BJCM, but feels lighter and I felt like we were really zipping around in it! :D

Is it the charcoal grey/light green? I think we may have purchased the same exact same stroller! Mine has the new hinges, too.

arivecchi
02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
OP, not sure whether you got my PM, but there is a fabulous Maclaren Owen for sale on strollerista for a great price.

Kaylee31
02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Is it the charcoal grey/light green? I think we may have purchased the same exact same stroller! Mine has the new hinges, too.

Yep, this one! I'm really liking the green, I just hope DS can keep it clean! :p

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5487345464_48355e2fc2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/5487345464/)
100_2988 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/5487345464/) by Kaylee3110 (http://www.flickr.com/people/50172753@N03/), on Flickr

Don't you have a crimson BJCM too? We must have similar tastes! :)

mackmama
02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
It sounds like an umbrella would be helpful for you. I went with the G-Luxe because of the large sunshade, and it didn't feel as tippy to me as some other umbrellas.

poohbear
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Yep, this one! I'm really liking the green, I just hope DS can keep it clean! :p

Don't you have a crimson BJCM too? We must have similar tastes! :)

I have the blue/coffee and the blue is light - haven't had too much trouble keeping it clean. I really like the green/grey combo :)

As for the tippy factor, I still am going to maintain that all umbrellas are going to be tippy to some extent... I would try pushing the Uppa and the Mac and see which you like better... Coke v. Pepsi ;)