PDA

View Full Version : Camera for a 5 yr old girl?

citymama
02-27-2011, 02:45 PM
DD wants a camera for her 5th birthday. Can you recommend a sturdy kid-friendly digital camera that takes decent pics and can with stand inevitable falls? Bonus points if it's pink! Many thanks.

katydid1971
02-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Don't buy the fisher price one. Its sturdy but it takes crappy pictures and eats batteries.

brittone2
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
DD has liked her vtech camera. Not the greatest resolution but it has been pretty durable.

I do get slightly annoyed that it includes some video game things on it (only because I didn't know that in advance), which might or might not be a concern for you.

The Vtech seems to get better reviews than the FP kid cameras, or at least it did when I was looking a year or two ago. It does come in pink.

DS got a camera when he was 5 or 6 and we went directly to a regular digital for him. He saved his money for it and I think we spent maybe 100 bucks. He's pretty careful by nature and it has held up well for him overall. Much better resolution but not great if dropped, etc.

here's something from Z recommends where they compared a few models in 2007
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/11/zrecs-kids-digital-camera-showdown.html

Lastly, when I was looking, somewhere (here or maybe on an amazon review???) I bumped into the suggestion to look at digital cameras designed for adults for the outdoors (hiking, etc.). There was one model that was recommended and the name escapes me now. It wasn't one of the big/known camera names. I remember thinking it looked like a good option. I'll let you know if I can find it. (you can look for something waterproof/water resistant and shockproof maybe?)

justlearning
02-28-2011, 04:29 PM
My boys absolutely LOVE their V-tech cameras. They take them everywhere they go and enjoy making videos with them as well as taking pics. They also like the little games you can plan on them. The cameras often entertain all the kids in my van during carpool on the way to school (ranging from 5 to 8 years old). For example, this morning they were taking turns playing the games and also were laughing at the funny videos they took on Fri. afternoon.

DS1 has had his camera for 2 years (since he was 5) and DS2 got a camera at the same time (when he was 3). When DS2 recently broke his camera, I bought him a new one for Christmas. The cameras are the most used gift that my boys have ever received by far.

citymama
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks! I see that vtech has two kids camera lines - one for about $60 and the other is about $110. Which one do your kids have?

justlearning
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks! I see that vtech has two kids camera lines - one for about $60 and the other is about $110. Which one do your kids have?

This is the exact model that they have:

http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-Kidizoom-Plus-Digital-Camera/dp/B000NZORB0

But I think that the newer model that's around $30 has the same features as this older model. I bought theirs on sale for $30.

MommyofAmaya
03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I've been considering putting the Olympus Stylus Tough on Amaya's wishlist.
We got the Vtech last year and haven't gotten around to downloading or printing any of the pics. I think we would be more inclined to do so if they were higher quality images. It's a bit spendy ($150) but would have more longevity than a kid's camera. It is waterproof, drop-proof, has IS, and video.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-2-7-inch-Green/dp/B0031RGET0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299001375&sr=1-1

MommyAllison
03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
We have this Vtech: http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-Kidizoom-Digital-Camera-Pink/dp/B0027CS7DG/ref=pd_sim_t_10

DD got it for her 3rd birthday, and loves it. Quality of photos isn't amazing, but half the problem is that she doesn't hold the camera totally still - when she pushes the shutter button down, she pushes that whole side of the camera down a bit. It has held up well to falls & throws (did I mention I have a DS? ;) ). We didn't realize it had games until about a year into it. It is fun to see what DD has taken photos of though. :)