PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for a puppy?

hillview
02-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I know Catherine recently posted this
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=389308&highlight=puppy
We are getting a labrodoodle in a few weeks.

I am wondering if anyone has more suggestions. Specifically a crate suggestion? Do we need a play pen? A good dog training book? Other items we should have on hand?

Thanks!
/hillary

Kennie
02-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I really like the Pet Cargo crates. Easy to assemble, easy to clean, and very durable. I *think* they have the ability to be partitioned when the puppy is too small for the crate as well. That is a good feature to look for so that you only have to buy one crate (get the size they need as an adult and put a divider in to make it smaller), if it is too big they may not get that den feeling and soil part of it and sleep in the other portion. That can be a PITA to correct. But I have a shih-tzu cross and she is in the smallest pet cargo crate, which is probably too big for her, and shes never soiled it and she is in her crate all day while we are at work.

For a play pen, I would just make sure that you have a place to confine the dog to until they are ready to have more run of the house. As someone said in Catherine's post, baby gates work well for this task. It's overwhelming for a new dog to come home to a strange house. Make sure you put the crate in there and leave the door open, so they can go sleep in it if they want.

I recommend putting your dog in obedience class once it is old enough, a puppy class is a great start. There is lots of information online regarding dog training, and you should be able to go to the library and get some good books.

New puppies are so cute and amazing! Have fun!!

sophiesmom03
02-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Congrats! You'll want a crate that is big enough for the dog when she's grown, and has a divider that you can use to make the crate smaller for while she's little (otherwise she may develop a habit of doing her business at one end of the crate, away from her sleeping/eating area).

I lined our crate with old towels and blankets, easier to wash than a crate pad (at least for ours because our crate is 48").

I think ours was Midwest? Brand, got it at Petsmart. It had doors front, back and side that made placement easier (again, ours is huge so this was a consideration).

Lots of stuff to chew. And then some. :) Try different textures, rope, stuffy, harder/smooth (nylabone), Kong/rubber. Brush/comb whatever's needed to keep that puppy fur in shape...if a labradoodle puppy coat is anything like my newf's puppy coat she'll be like velcro till her grown up coat comes in so you'll be doing a lot of brushing. Ask your breeder but a soft slicker will probably do it on the baby coat.

There are a lot of good books/videos out there. Ian Dunbar is one respected trainer. We've had really good luck with positive/clicker training. One thing to note, be sure the kids know to leave the pup in peace while she eats, never to take a bone away, etc...YOU can teach the pup to be OK with these things, once she's accusomed to your home, but it shouldn't be a small child doing so. (though, the kids can definitely participate in training!)

Good luck and enjoy!!!

elephantmeg
02-27-2011, 06:09 PM
natures miracle and a little green machine :)

BabyH
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
We got our puppy and then hightailed it to Lowe's for a carpet cleaner! ... And we've since replaced almost the entire house with hardwood.....

bubbaray
02-27-2011, 06:45 PM
puppy Kong and a puppy Nylabone

and Natures Miracle! :)

hillview
02-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks we have hw through out and we will take up our rugs for a year or so :)
/hillary

bubbaray
02-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Kong makes a nice brush called the Zoom Groom

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-ZoomGroom-Dog-Grooming-Raspberry/dp/B0002AR1A0

The different colors are different "hardness". IIRC, we have the light blue for our lab.

mackmama
02-27-2011, 07:11 PM
congrats on the labradoodle - how exciting! we have a doodle, and they are just fantastic. ours does not shed and is super sweet and playful.

as a playpen, we used gates to partition off a small area of our home (that is not carpeted).

whether you use pee pads for training or take your pup directly outside, i found it really helpful to say "yes! goooood pee pee" the minute the dog starts to pee. our dogs then learned to go pee whenever we say "go pee pee."

at night, it can be helpful to put a ticking clock in the crate under a soft blanket or shirt that smells like you. the ticking clock will soothe the pup.

i love nature's miracle for any messes. i groom our dog, so i also bought sensitive shampoo/conditioner and an Andis clipper kit.

i highly recommend a puppy class followed by an adult dog class. with a little effort, you can have a well-trained and highly enjoyable dog for years to come. the classes will also go over crate-training, which collars are safest, which toys are best, etc.

have fun!

Nooknookmom
02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
puppy Kong and a puppy Nylabone

and Natures Miracle! :)

Yup, and try the Healthy Edible's by Nylabone...kept ours from eating everything else. Don't give too many or pup will get the runs. I'd give it if we were going to be away for a while. Stay FAR away from "rawhide", nasty for pups.

I also love the Kong, but am too cheap to buy Kong Stuffin', so I use the el cheapo spray cheese from Walmart!! I stick pieces of small treats in there and seal it with some spray cheese. You can use p. butter, pieces of ham, etc. too.

The single most important thing you need? Patience! We have a 7 mo GSD and have had 3 other GSD puppies and 1 adopted adult. It's an ongoing work in progess!

Also, make sure you teach the kiddos to respect the puppy and I always feed the puppy with my hand in it's bowl for the first few months...don't want them biting anyone later.

LMPC
02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Sorry, but all that came to mind was a xanax :tongue5:

Seriously, congrats on the puppy!! I really am jealous!!!

KLD313
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
You may want to use the food the breeder has them on at least at first but get a high quality food, it really makes a world of difference.

Definitely something to chew on (not rawhide) and I've always found pee pads helpful. I used to use a gate in the bathroom doorway instead of a crate, my dogs never took to a crate.

Nooknookmom
02-28-2011, 03:42 AM
You may want to use the food the breeder has them on at least at first but get a high quality food, it really makes a world of difference.

Definitely something to chew on (not rawhide) and I've always found pee pads helpful. I used to use a gate in the bathroom doorway instead of a crate, my dogs never took to a crate.

You nailed it! Great information!

Esp on crating, not all puppies will go for it. Only one of mine was crated and not as a puppy. I really don't care for it. Baby gates galore here.

Pee pee pads -Walmart=cheap.

Oh and walks, once all vax are done....walk twice daily to cut down on boredom & excess energy that can get them into trouble!