PDA

View Full Version : Third Year Primary Montessori or Public K

Kindra178
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Here's our situation. DS1 is a late June bday, 60 days before cutoff. He's in a primary Montessori program now, where he is thriving. He could either do the third year in Montessori for K or go to public K, which is actually a well regarded K-1-2 class or K-1 class. I have heard one negative story about the school and that was from someone who did her third year in primary Montessori and then went into a the K-1 classroom. This little girl felt the teacher was treating her like a k'er when she was really in first grade. She ended up leaving the public school and going to back to Montessori, something which is not financially feasible for us.

I am just not sure what to do. I love the idea of DS1 of doing the third year of Montessori, but it's very expensive. I also worry that he will go into Grade 1 without having the friendships, etc from the K year, especially in a multi-age classroom with the same teacher from the year before.

Finally, if we decide to redshirt him at some point, sending him to Montessori allows us to do that, while going to public probably won't allow us that leeway.

We are meeting with the principal of the public school this week. Wish me luck. This issue is consuming me.

crl
02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Personally, if I were planning to go public eventually, I would do it sooner rather than later. K is when everyone is learning how school, meaning traditional school, works, which is pretty different from how Montessori works. And they all start to make friends. Since your child would be going into a mixed age classroom where they stay together for a second or even a third year, I think that would be even more important.

Catherine

ha98ed14
02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Personally, if I were planning to go public eventually, I would do it sooner rather than later. K is when everyone is learning how school, meaning traditional school, works, which is pretty different from how Montessori works. And they all start to make friends. Since your child would be going into a mixed age classroom where they stay together for a second or even a third year, I think that would be even more important.

Catherine

:yeahthat: ITA!

The reality is that a K classroom in public/ traditional model of school runs differently than a Montessori classroom. If you put him in when he gets to first, it's going to be a shock to system. The other kids will have already transitioned from the less structured environments of preschool/ being home with a SAHP. Your DS will have none that that transition time, yet he will be expected to function within the more structured environment of a 1st grade classroom. I would definitely send him to public K unless you plan to do Montessori well into elementary (through 2nd/3rd) when kids begin to develop a little more self control, so the transition from less/unstructured to structured will be easier for him at an older age.

hillview
02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
DS1 is a July baby and he is doing his 3rd year now. If he went to kindergarten he'd go to Kindergarten next year (being one of the oldest kids in the class) -- our cut off is September. This is per his teacher's suggestion (he is sort of in the middle emotionally not ready for 1st grade but academically ready KWIM?), after much debate he will go to montessori lower elementary next year. FWIW we LOVED the 3rd year at primary. Last year 2 kids left primary to go to kindergarten and the other 6 stayed and most will go to public first next year. Both sets of kids seem fine.
/hillary

robinsmommy
02-27-2011, 07:55 PM
If the Montessori teacher is understanding, I would have a conversation with them about it, too.

Not sure how they feel, though - I don't want to set you up for a confrontation - our M. REALLY wants kids to stay for that last year and will not even take kids who don't start with that expectation.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with those issues - DD2 gets in to the public M. program here for 1st automatically as DD1 won the lottery and got in.

Based on what you've said so far, I'd probably go with public K, though. Is it full day K or half, though? Sounds like full day? I would NEVER, EVER waste my time with 1/2 day K again. 2.5 hours, complete and utter waste for most kids. Maybe the occasional less mature kid might benefit from it, but even that is a stretch.

(Yeah, DD1 went from a great full day K to a stinky half-day teacher when we moved. Hindsight, I'd've paid the awful private tuition.....)

Kindra178
02-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Hillview, I think you are correct. I think there are two issues here (K v. M) that all come down one: I really want him to do the third year of primary and then public K. Academically, he's fine (4.5 and sounding out words, writing letters). Socially, he's definitely immature and I worry that immaturity will get in the way of learning.

It's full day kindergarten with a wonderful after school program (not aftercare - that's a different program). The school offers Spanish, basketball, robotics, chess, etc.

hillview
02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Hillview, I think you are correct. I think there are two issues here (K v. M) that all come down one: I really want him to do the third year of primary and then public K. Academically, he's fine. Socially, he's definitely immature and I worry that immaturity will get in the way of learning in a non-M type class.

Have you asked the teachers what they think. Of course they will most likely suggest a 3rd year of M but maybe ask them what grade they would guess after that. IMO the teachers have way more data points and a better handle on this sort of thing.

It is a hard choice! Good luck -- I am sure either would work out.
/hillary

Jen841
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
i would have your child start k in the school they will continue at. i moved around a lot growing up and was jealous of the kids that were at the same school all the time. why create obstacles for your child to start 1st grade with a bunch of kids that know the school well and he/she feel like the odd man out.

i am not opposed to doing k 2X, that is what we are doing. k at daycare, then k at big bros school.

KpbS
02-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Catherine

:yeahthat:
I think that odds are if he is ready academically, he likely will be ready socially too come Sept. If his birthday were just a couple of days before the cutoff or the public school wasn't very good, I might reconsider.

I agree that the Montessori opinion will be biased--it's hard not to be--esp with a financial interest.

GL!