PDA

View Full Version : infants in car seats in strollers and the AAP - am I over thinking this?

echoesofspring
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
So after much research, etc. I thought we had a plan ;) we would buy a Snap N' go type frame for the first few months and then upgrade to the BJCM when the little one was big enough (since our car seat isn't compatible with the BJCM) Then last week in one evening I found at least 2 references (one here on the forum, one on baby gizmo) to the fact that car seats don't have an adequate recline when not in the bases, and that the trend on snapping the car seat into something else is perhaps a bad idea. But I can't actually find any more info on the aap website about it, or on consumer reports, etc. Can someone point me to some information? Or is this really new information - because it certainly seems like most of the strollers out there encourage the use of the car seat, unless you go for one of the high end ones.

I'm not even quite sure what I'm asking, I guess I'm just looking for some more experienced advice/guidance/etc. I got some blank stare when posed the question locally, it seemed like I was the only one who had read this. I'm not sure about the snuzzler being secure enough, and I'm not super excited about buying the bassinet BJCM option for just a few months of use, although I would totally reconsider if I could find one used. And I'm game to reconsider the BJCM, it just seemed like a good fit for our lifestyle. Thanks in advance -

crl
02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Here is a link to an article explaining how car seats can interfere with infants' breathing.

Catherine

Sorry, my infant distracted me. ;)

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-24/health/car.seat.blood.oxygen_1_infant-car-car-seats-car-seat-safety?_s=PM:HEALTH

WatchingThemGrow
02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
The BJCM and the BJCE recline flat enough for newborns. I used them with babies #2&3 because we had issues with plagiocephaly. We used the Snuzzler in the Elite with DS1 and took him strolling around our neighborhood as soon as it arrived. He was 6 weeks old I think. The BJCMD took DS2 out a few days after he was born. I'd reconsider and get the Mini now. You'll want air tires for outdoor strolling, though.

arivecchi
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
OP, this thread might be helpful:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=370312&highlight=recommendation

A snuzzler in a fully reclined seat works really well for newborns.

echoesofspring
02-27-2011, 10:41 PM
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-24/h...y?_s=PM:HEALTH

Thanks for the article, very helpful. It's interesting to me to that I've seen the 'don't let your baby sleep in the car seat' rec for a while, but haven't really seen that interpolated to, "therefore, maybe all these stroller/car seat combos aren't that great an idea".....

The BJCM and the BJCE recline flat enough for newborns. I used them with babies #2&3 because we had issues with plagiocephaly. We used the Snuzzler in the Elite with DS1 and took him strolling around our neighborhood as soon as it arrived. He was 6 weeks old I think. The BJCMD took DS2 out a few days after he was born. I'd reconsider and get the Mini now

Thanks for the advice, so maybe the best bet is to just get the BJCM from the start and see if we're comfortable using it early on fully reclined...

echoesofspring
02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
The BJCM and the BJCE recline flat enough for newborns. I used them with babies #2&3 because we had issues with plagiocephaly. We used the Snuzzler in the Elite with DS1 and took him strolling around our neighborhood as soon as it arrived. He was 6 weeks old I think. The BJCMD took DS2 out a few days after he was born. I'd reconsider and get the Mini now

YES! Just the conversation I was looking for, thank you!

Multimama
02-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Others already posted great info, but I just wanted to say, ignore the blank stares. You are on the right track! If you want a stroller that will allow you to see your baby in the beginning (what draws people to car seats in strollers) we can suggest some good ones. The first years indigo is a favorite that isn't too expensive. (Unfortunately a lot of parent facing strollers are pricey.) Or as others have said just start straight with the BJCM and a snuzzler. :)

BabyBearsMom
02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I was totally thinking about this over the weekend! I was at the mall and it seemed like EVERYONE had babies snapped into car seats in the strollers. Even folks with stroller that I know fully recline, and people had older kids, like my DD's age (10mo) in it. It was ridiculous!! I can't imagine poor DD being crammed into one of those little buckets instead of stretching out in her stroller kicking her feet and looking around.

Then, at Costco this weekend, I saw someone with a KF30 in the top of the cart. This kid was maybe 5 days old (too young to be out and about in flu season IMHO), with after market pillows around his head, and with a JJ Cole snuzzler in the car seat. There was so much wrong with that picture, I about had a melt down. DH had to pull me away from the family to keep me from doing a mommy drive by.

Sorry, random rant, I know. It's just been on my mind and when I saw this thread, I had to add. Way to go OP for doing the research and challenging the status quo :jammin:

arivecchi
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree mamabear. Whenever I leave the city it seems like EVERY baby is in a freaking car seat. Let 'em strech out!!!!

Ugh.

salsah
02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry, random rant, I know. It's just been on my mind and when I saw this thread, I had to add. Way to go OP for doing the research and challenging the status quo :jammin:

:yeahthat: i see a lot of infant car seat overuse (not just with strollers) and it drives me crazy. i know that most people don't know any better and they have been led to believe that it is okay for so long now that they doubt warnings against it. some people even call it a "carrier"!

MommyAllison
02-28-2011, 08:13 PM
We used our strollers (P3 and Mountain Buggy double) right away, just fully reclined. DS rode in the MB starting at 1 day old, and we never had any problems. We used the Snuzzler in the P3, but the MB we just used stroller blankets - the seat is more sling style, and DS didn't move around a bit!