PDA

View Full Version : My fridge died...help

kms00
02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I will need to buy a new fridge tomorrow. Any suggestions on brand, any to avoid? I know I want a bottom freezer. Not sure about french doors, they seem to be quite a bit more expensive. Also where to buy, I have Sears, Best Buy and Home Depot close. Thanks.

MamaSnoo
02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Ours is a kenmore from sears. We have a bottom freezer with French doors. I like it. We have had it about 2 years now.

My main advice if you go with the bottom freezer is to choose one with more than one drawer (we did). The one big drawer just seems like a place to lose things and end up digging on hands and knees.

sbirmantaz
02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
I've just been fridge shopping and liked the Bosch the best, but in a side by side. The Samsungs get decent reviews too... I couldn't get past all the white plastic in the Kitchenaids and the chemical plastic smell was overwhelming!

AnnieW625
02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I would buy at Sears, and I love our basic Frigidaire. We've had it for 6 yrs. and it works just fine. I love the glass shelves and that they can be moved. I am not sure if they make a bottom fridge or not that isn't a French door. I liked Sears (we bought our washer/dryer there) because they employ their own repair people, but I wouldn't buy an extended warranty with a fridge. I had some warranty issues with Best Buy (for an Ipod of all things!:shake:) so I won't buy another large appliance there unless it was being given away (but that's just me because I refuse to support bad customer service), and even then I'd think twice.

citymama
02-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Try searsoutlet.com!

ohsara430
02-27-2011, 10:41 PM
We have a Samsung french door with bottom freezer with ice & water through the door and really like it. We've only had it about 6 months though so I can't speak to it lasting for years and years.

We bought it at Lowe's but had them price match to Sears because Lowe's offers free delivery. Sears usually does too, but it's rebate you have to send in, Lowe's is just straight up free delivery. Sears will price match also.

We have this one
http://www.lowes.com/pd_310039-149-RFG298AARS_4294857963+4294963507+4294789110_429493 7087_?productId=3066665&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Filtered%2Bwater%2Band%2Bcubedcru shed%2Bice_4294857963%2B4294963507%2B4294789110_42 94937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_pr oduct_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=Samsung|Filtered%20water%20and%20cubed/crushed%20ice

boilermakermom
02-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Avoid the standard side by side fridge/freezer. I think lows has a 20%off coupon in the post office move in packet and I believe home depot accepts it as well.

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Go kick it first! Our fridge died on a Fri. and we shopped/ researched Sat. and on Sunday we were about to go buy one but dh gave it a swift kick and all of a sudden it whirred back to life! That was 3 years ago!

Beth

bubbaray
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Do NOT buy a Bosch. OMG. FIL had a very expensive Bosch and it died. He had to get the part from Germany AND they sent him the wrong part (and, he speaks German as a 1st language and lives there half the year, so it wasn't a language problem either). They weren't able to use their main fridge for EIGHT months with all the shipping delays. It was horrible. It was kinda funny as he is always so pro-German and this purchase was a complete bust.

They moved and got new appliances -- no Bosch.

Personally, IIWM, I'd buy an LG or a Samsung.

kijip
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Have you had a repair estimate on the dead fridge?

For new, I would go Sears Outlet all the way. We paid too much by not going to the outlet. Or look for markdown or dent/scratch models at Best Buy, Lowes or Home Depot.

We have had a Kenmore French door model for coming up on 4 years. It is not terrible, and the functionality is just fine, but I might be inclined to go with a different brand if we had a do over because some fo the plastic on the inside has cracked slightly and we had to replace a door hinge piece so it would stay closed reliably.

vludmilla
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I love our Samsung french door refrigerator. I've had it about 6 months. I never seem to run out of room even for parties and things remain neat and organized. I never "lose" something in the back of the fridge anymore.

ETA: Ours was $1700 on sale but I've seen it recently for as low as $1200. It is RF266AE. Ice in the freezer drawer and filtered water inside the fridge, not on the door.

kms00
02-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Thanks everyone. It is not keeping anything cold at all and it is leaking water now even with the max cool on. It is at least 15 years old, so I am thinking it is not worth it to repair. I forgot about sears outlet, I think I will go there first tomorrow and then maybe to sears. I keep reading good reviews about the samsung too. thanks.

fumofu
02-28-2011, 02:00 AM
When we lived at my in-laws' house, we bought an LG French door bottom freezer (just one drawer) from Sears. It was counter depth, so we sacrificed some space. But it looks so much nicer than having the fridge sticking out. We enjoyed it.

citymama
02-28-2011, 02:32 AM
I would buy at Sears, and I love our basic Frigidaire. We've had it for 6 yrs. and it works just fine. I love the glass shelves and that they can be moved. I am not sure if they make a bottom fridge or not that isn't a French door. I liked Sears (we bought our washer/dryer there) because they employ their own repair people, but I wouldn't buy an extended warranty with a fridge.

OMG, Annie, this is us too! I just bought a basic Frigidaire - top freezer, no French doors, no ice maker - at Sears, no extended warranty! It's a pretty stainless steel one though and I did get the larger one as you and others recommended. Just one more e.g. of our mirror lives! ;)

liz
02-28-2011, 07:36 AM
We had great luck at Lowes's. We bought a consumer reports 'best buy'. It's a samsung witth french doors. The freezer door opens smoothly and has a second smaller drawer.
Lowe's had free delivery/removal (and you don't need to fill out rebate forms). We got ours on sale, but we asked for an extra discount anyway-and guess what? The salesperson didn't even blink and said yes. We saved an extra 10% just by asking! gl!

K-Bear
02-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Our fridge died last week and we spent our weekend fridege shopping too!

Don't even bother with Best Buy - wasn't impressed with their selection or prices. Home Depot wasn't bad but I felt the best value was at Sears.

We ended up getting a Whirlpool, French Door refrigerator at Sears. At least yesterday, they were having a sale so I felt we got a decent price on our new fridge. I'm excited about it!

kms00
02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I spent the day appliance shopping. I didn't find anything at Sears Outlet, but I had luck at the Sears store. I ended up with the Kenmore french door style. The sales rep said the kenmore fridges are made by LG. I guess there is a new appliance sale for Kenmore starting Sat. so he will credit my card on Sat. for the difference. I am having it delivered Thurs. I can't wait. thanks for all the help.