PDA

View Full Version : need the BEST lightweight stroller.

abbysgrace
02-27-2011, 11:30 PM
My daughter has rheumatoid arthritis and is expecting her first baby in six weeks. We need as light as we can get & it needs to steer very smoothly so as not to strain her joints. I have looked at several online & read reviews. So far we looked at Maclaren, City mini and the Peg Perego Si. I have bought Combi's for my last two babies & loved them for what I need but she needs something sturdier. What do you think? I really don't have a price limit if it's the right stroller for my daughter.

Thanks!
Christy

tobycat
02-28-2011, 12:03 AM
I would look at a Maclaren with a full recline (like a Techno). Any stroller used with an infant seat is going to be harder to push, so she might want to think about not going that route. If you have any friends or relatives with strollers, I'd ask to try them out. I found the first stroller that I bought (a zooper) was awful for me. It seemed fine in the store, but I was constantly kicking the back of it.

Many of the all-terrain strollers are nice for neighborhood walks, but heavy and cumbersome to get into a car.

legaleagle
02-28-2011, 12:09 AM
How tall is your daughter? Is it important that her wrists remain as flat as possible? If so that may make a huge difference in what is comfortable for her to push. I personally much prefer bar handles (I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome), both because it's more comfortable to push and it's easier to push with one hand if needed.

It's a bit heavier but I wonder if something like the bugaboo bee or inglesina avio might be better because of the very smooth push. The bee has an adjustable handle and reversible seat, the avio has a very easy fold - look on youtube for the baby gizmo videos for each. Both can be used with newborns.

Momto1
02-28-2011, 12:22 AM
I have a Peg Perego Si and while the steering/push is awesome on indoor surfaces, it gets a little "rickety" when we're outdoors, IMO. I think it has something to do with the way Pegs are built - I've heard people say that the stroller takes the impact of the bumps so the child doesn't feel it, but the person steering the stroller also has to deal with the impact of the bumps.

MamaBear
02-28-2011, 12:25 AM
The Bee+ won't be quite as light as some others, but is good for newborns and has an (easily) adjustable seatback and bottom so will accommodate even bigger kids. (My 97th percentile 4 year old still fits in mine with room to spare.) The push, IMO, can't be beat. I am prone to tendinitis in my hands and wrists (not nearly the same league as RA, I know, and I don't mean to imply that) and find it extremely comfortable to use.

Armywife1stDr2nd
02-28-2011, 12:25 AM
My vote is for the city mini just for the push, the very easy fold and the fact that I consider it pretty fully featured. Not the lightest though. As for as weight goes I'm waiting on a g-luxe which is only 11lbs but I can't vouch for it yet since I haven't pushed it yet. The 2011 model seems to have a lot of features on it that may make it a more everyday stroller for us.

salsah
02-28-2011, 02:04 AM
city mini sounds good. if i were shopping now, i would check out the inglesina avio.

when you do narrow down the options, make sure your dd can try out the stroller and try doing everything with it to be sure that it is all comfortable her to do. she needs to try out the fold and open mechanisms, try reclining the seat and sitting it back up, open and closing the harness, etc..

berlinsoul
02-28-2011, 05:08 AM
micralite toro?

there are mixed reviews out there and I have never seen one but I guess it's lightweight but with the air tires you'd need less effort to push (less then with a BJCM probably). For the first 3-5 months you'd need a carrycot.

the big con is: no parentfacing option but this is the same with BJCM ...

Multimama
02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Is she planning to use the stroller outdoors? If she is, I would stay away from all umbrella strollers unless you go with the Techno or similar. I know it's a weight-to-push trade off, but I just don't think the push will be good enough for her outdoors with most umbrellas. I think you've got some great suggestions here. I'd be looking at the Bee+, but does she need a veru simple fold?

crl
02-28-2011, 11:03 AM
You have gotten some great ideas here. I just wanted to suggest strollerqueen as a resource. Most of us have relatively limited experience with strollers, somewhere between one and ten or so strollers. Strollerqueen has a lot more. She has a blog with in depth reviews (I find them by googling stroller queen and the name of the stroller). You can also buy her yearly stroller review. And you can even hire her as a consultant. This sounds like a unique enough situation and one where the right stroller is so important that I would see how much it costs and consider hiring her.

(I am not affiliated in any way, just read lots of her posts and bought one edition of her yearly roll out.)

Catherine

purpelina
02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
You have gotten some great ideas here. I just wanted to suggest strollerqueen as a resource. Most of us have relatively limited experience with strollers, somewhere between one and ten or so strollers. Strollerqueen has a lot more. She has a blog with in depth reviews (I find them by googling stroller queen and the name of the stroller). You can also buy her yearly stroller review. And you can even hire her as a consultant. This sounds like a unique enough situation and one where the right stroller is so important that I would see how much it costs and consider hiring her.

(I am not affiliated in any way, just read lots of her posts and bought one edition of her yearly roll out.)

Catherine

:yeahthat:

Absolutely agree.

Other than that, I'd vote for a bee plus. Also, when trying out strollers in stores (I guess it should be a must in your situation, after you are down to few models that seem to make most sense), check how easy / hard they are to push, AS WELL AS fold and unfold. It's not necessarily the number of steps required, but rather how easy / comfortable it is to do for your daughter.
Plus, don't push them around empty. That way all strollers seem to be the same. Bring a heavy bag with you, or grab something heavy off the shelf at the store. Place it in the stroller seat to have an idea how the stroller pushes with actual weight in it.

arivecchi
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I would recommend the Bee Plus or the Inglesina Avio to someone who needs a lightweight stroller with an easy push.

abbysgrace
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Ohhh. I forgot about stroller queen. Thanks!

My daughter is 5'3 and her husband is 6'3. big difference.
It's been a few years since I researched strollers. I'm thinking the city mini will probably be good for her car stroller and we can maybe get her another stroller for walks at home. It seems the bar type handle would be easier for her.
She lives in Memphis & I don't know of any stores where we can try out better strollers. There is a good baby store in Jackson, MS where we can try before we buy. I have a rather heavy 2yo- I think we'll plan an older sister-littlest brother shopping road trip to try out strollers. We can see how well they work with a 35 lb 2 year old.

hummm...I also need to research a smooth driving walking stroller for outdoor use. Weight won't matter so much if she doesn't need to lift & unfold it often. I think it's unrealistic to think one stroller is going to meet both needs.

I forgot how fun stroller shopping is...def. going to check out stroller queen.

Thanks,
Christy

edurnemk
02-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I would recommend the Bee Plus or the Inglesina Avio to someone who needs a lightweight stroller with an easy push.

:yeahthat: Definitely get a stroller with a single handlebar, instead of umbrella handles, they are WAY easier to steer, much easier on the wrists (especially as the baby gets older and heavier).

poohbear
02-28-2011, 11:57 AM

:yeahthat:

I know there are some mamas on here that have tried the BJCM, Bee+, and Avio.
The BJCM is great as are the Macs, but they have regular plastic wheels, so with a heavier kid, it's going to be harder to push. For someone with no wrist issues, no problem, but with your daughter's issues, I would look at something with foam wheels like the Bee+. I don't know enough about the Avio, but it seems like a good bet as well. If price is not a concern. The Bugaboos have pretty good resale, so you will be able to recoup some cost. Youarethefocus posted a code that works for 15% off bugaboos right now. Or you may be able to find a used Bee+....

salsah
02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
You have gotten some great ideas here. I just wanted to suggest strollerqueen as a resource. And you can even hire her as a consultant. This sounds like a unique enough situation and one where the right stroller is so important that I would see how much it costs and consider hiring her.

excellent idea! IIRC, it is totally affordable and definitely worth it.

ElspethCordelia
02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
I feel like I keep plugging it today, but my Micralite Fastfold Superlite is awesome. I'm seriously going to miss it when I need to use a double stroller.

It's only 14lbs and pushes like a dream. My almost 2 year old likes it too. I got it last summer and I never turned back. It's more of an umbrella though, so it wouldn't really work as a travel system.

Smillow
02-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I feel like I keep plugging it today, but my Micralite Fastfold Superlite is awesome. I'm seriously going to miss it when I need to use a double stroller.

It's only 14lbs and pushes like a dream. My almost 2 year old likes it too. I got it last summer and I never turned back. It's more of an umbrella though, so it wouldn't really work as a travel system.

According to the CL ad (http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/bab/2237147453.html), it does have a bassinet and the Maxi Cosi fits in it...

Multimama
02-28-2011, 04:35 PM
According to the CL ad (http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/bab/2237147453.html), it does have a bassinet and the Maxi Cosi fits in it...

That is the Micralite Fastfold, an older discontinued model. The PP has the Fastfold Superlite, which does not take a bassinet or a car seat.

edurnemk
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
hummm...I also need to research a smooth driving walking stroller for outdoor use. Weight won't matter so much if she doesn't need to lift & unfold it often. I think it's unrealistic to think one stroller is going to meet both needs.

The 2 stroller combo has been the solution for us, too. For outdoor definitely a BOB or a Mountain Buggy will have the best push, hands down. Unless she wants it to be reversible, those are the best options.

Smillow
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
That is the Micralite Fastfold, an older discontinued model. The PP has the Fastfold Superlite, which does not take a bassinet or a car seat.

Ooops!:o Sorry!

ahrimie
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I also think Bee Plus. It's not the lightest out there but in that category and nothing else pushes like it. Of course it's pricier than others though. After seeing reviews of the Avio, I think that would be a good alternative too. More than the weight of the stroller, I think the push would be really important.

crl
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I would check the weight of the Bee plus carefully. I think it is somewhere around 21 pounds? I know I have been surprised to see how heavy it is--nearly the same weight as the Mountain Buggy Swift or the Bumbleride Inide, which have air tires! I always check strollerqueen for weights because stroller manufactors are notorious for weighing without the canopy or other nonsense.

Catherine

ElspethCordelia
02-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Ooops!:o Sorry!

:) I was thinking, "Wow! I'm really missing out!"

mackmama
02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I think the Bee+ would be a good choice. I believe Strollerqueen weighs it at 20 lbs.

You might also consider the Bumbleride Flite. It's a little over 15 lbs. It has an optional carrycot as well. For walks, she could then get the Bumbleride Indie and use the same carrycot on that as well.

Multimama
02-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I think the Bee+ would be a good choice. I believe Strollerqueen weighs it at 20 lbs.

You might also consider the Bumbleride Flite. It's a little over 15 lbs. It has an optional carrycot as well. For walks, she could then get the Bumbleride Indie and use the same carrycot on that as well.

Bee+ is 23 lbs, I think. At least, that was the weight of the original Bee.

If you want to use the same carrycot for the Flite and Indie you'd need a 2010 or earlier Indie and 2010 carrycot. The new 2011 Indie's only take the 2011 Indie carrycot, which does not work with the Flite. Just an FYI for anyone who wants a Bumbleride.

roseyloxs
02-28-2011, 11:04 PM

If you want to use the same carrycot for the Flite and Indie you'd need a 2010 or earlier Indie and 2010 carrycot. The new 2011 Indie's only take the 2011 Indie carrycot, which does not work with the Flite. Just an FYI for anyone who wants a Bumbleride.

really? I thought the 2010 carrycot would still fit the 2011 indie. I'll have to go back and check the thread but I am feeling lazy now.

poohbear
03-01-2011, 11:30 AM

Everything I can find says the Bee plus weighs 18lbs. So even if that's without canopy and basket, I cannot imagine it would come in at higher than 20lbs max...
A BOB weighs 23lbs...
ETA - Rosey, want to get out your scale?

bekahjean
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
really? I thought the 2010 carrycot would still fit the 2011 indie. I'll have to go back and check the thread but I am feeling lazy now.

:yeahthat: The 2009 and 2010 carrycots will fit the 2011 frame, but not the other way around.

Multimama
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
:yeahthat: The 2009 and 2010 carrycots will fit the 2011 frame, but not the other way around.

Thanks for correcting me! Got confused. It's confusing!

The Bee doesn't weigh 23 lbs?? I am just full of misinformation on this thread. Sorry! I swore it was more than 20 lbs. Maybe it's the Peg Switch that weighs 23 lbs?

poohbear
03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for correcting me! Got confused. It's confusing!

The Bee doesn't weigh 23 lbs?? I am just full of misinformation on this thread. Sorry! I swore it was more than 20 lbs. Maybe it's the Peg Switch that weighs 23 lbs?

You're all good MM! :grouphug:

eta - pliko switch is 22.9 lbs per peg perego website :)

LoveBeingMrs
03-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Another vote for the Bee+! The push is awesome, and I love how quickly it folds (especially now that I finally have DS facing outward)!! I'm 5'5" and DH is 5'10".. it works great for the both of us. :)

jerry_mishkata
03-07-2011, 04:23 PM
My daughter has rheumatoid arthritis and is expecting her first baby in six weeks. We need as light as we can get & it needs to steer very smoothly so as not to strain her joints. I have looked at several online & read reviews. So far we looked at Maclaren, City mini and the Peg Perego Si. I have bought Combi's for my last two babies & loved them for what I need but she needs something sturdier. What do you think? I really don't have a price limit if it's the right stroller for my daughter.

Thanks!
Christy

Hi,

I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, but I have very bad tendons (extremely lax joints) which are still in bad shape from years upon years of typing like crazy. So I NEEDED a very light stroller that pushes well so I can carry the stroller AND the baby down/up the subway stairs and can still use it the rest of the time. I went with a UppaBaby G-luxe and I loved it until my child hit 20 lb (which was around 1 year old). Then, it became difficult to maneuver anything with 2 handles (Mac quest including) so I bought a more all terrain stroller that I do not lift any more because it is too heavy. I got a Valco Quad -- it is 23 lb and pushes very easily with one or 2 hands.

I know the BJCM is relatively light, but still, if she has to carry stroller + baby + diaper bag at the same time, 17 lb (BJCM, if I remember right) vs 11 lb (G-luxe) is a large difference. Hell, even 1 lb is a large difference for that case. On the other hand, it might not stop working for her when the baby becomes heavy just because it has one single handle as opposed to 2.

I suggest you go to a stroller store together and go food shopping prior to that. Put a 20 lb bag (bags) of fruit/veggies in the stroller (say, get 20 apples or so) and try ti push it. That will show you whether she will be able to use it after the baby is older. Bear in mind that most stores have very nice floors so any difficulty will be much worse on the sidewalk outside.

A lot of people switch from their full featured strollers to umbrella strollers like Mac quest and G-luxe when their babies become toddlers but I am not sure it will be an option for her as it was not for me.

Also, a lot of people find that they NEED an umbrella stroller for airports and travel in general in addition to a more full featured stroller. So she might end up buying a g-luxe like stroller anyway in which case I recommend she buys it early so she can use it while the baby is not too heavy.

Let me know if you have questions. I still love my g-luxe just I use the Quad much more because it is easier to push with the toddler in.

Edit: I saw people recommend the bee, that's a great option but very expensive.

poohbear
03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi,

Edit: I saw people recommend the bee, that's a great option but very expensive.

But you should be able to find a Bee on CL for $200-300 or a Bee plus for $450-500, roughly the price of a Quad...

Depending on timeline, the Cruz may be a good option too, but it's not coming out until later this summer, and specs haven't been released. It is supposed to be in the $400 range...

jerry_mishkata
03-08-2011, 08:25 AM
But you should be able to find a Bee on CL for $200-300 or a Bee plus for $450-500, roughly the price of a Quad...

Depending on timeline, the Cruz may be a good option too, but it's not coming out until later this summer, and specs haven't been released. It is supposed to be in the $400 range...

I got my Quad for $400 new (20% off at Albee) so I disagree. But then I don't like the bee for other reasons -- one of them it it too heavy for the features it gives you. It's great that it reverses but I didn't have much use for the reversible feature when my child was that young. I still maintain that she should try the strollers out -- it is a serious disease the mom has. I hope it doesn't progress.