PDA

View Full Version : Trying to drink more water

tiapam
02-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Anyone have any tips? Boy, that sounds so lame, but I find that some days I do better than others. I have tons of reusable water bottles. I am going to look into getting filtered water at the kitchen sink. Any special way you have of "remembering" to drink at certain times of day?

Also, my skin is going through some crazy fast stuff. I was hoping that by drinking more water consistently, there would be a final, lasting improvement. Someone please tell me it was like that for you. I have been dealing with acne for way too long!

TIA.

mezzona
02-28-2011, 01:48 AM
i've always been bad at drinking water. but right after dd was born in hospital, the nurse had me drinking tubs of ice water. i've been able to keep it up at home. i keep filtered water in the refrigerator. at first, i would fill up a camelback and made a point to drink at least 3 of those a day. i dont know why, but it helped to drink out of a straw or a container like camelback. eventually, the water would reach room temp. nowadays, i fill up a water glass and finish one after every nursing session. for some reason, my water tastes better out of those pretty water glasses.

the texture of my skin has definitely improved. complexion is more even, smoother texture, and it just seems more supple.

going to get a glass right now...

WatchingThemGrow
02-28-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm not the model of drinking more water, but I'm better than I used to be because of a simple thing we started. DH unloads the dishwasher, and he refills my Rubbermaid flip top bottles and sticks them in the fridge right out of the dishwasher. They are easy to grab when we're heading out the door and grabbing sippies for the boys. Also easy when I'm heading to the couch to sit while the DC play. The lid makes me feel a little better than an open cup of water next to my laptop on the couch. I always have one in the car, too.

hillview
02-28-2011, 08:53 AM
I always have a big glass in front of me. Always. I have a dispenser that give me cold water -- I drink way more when it is cold -- I like the idea of keeping the bottles in the fridge!
/hillary

ThreeofUs
02-28-2011, 09:01 AM
I leave big glasses of water in the kitchen, by the computer, in the bathroom, etc., and make sure I drink some every time I pass.

ahrimie
02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I am normally a good water drinker... personally, I prefer room temp water. I feel like it's easier to swallow and your body absorbs it faster. Maybe you can get a refillable water bottle and set a goal of how many you want to drink throughout the day, like 3. I also drink water right when I wake up and before I go to bed. When I feel like I need more electrolytes, I drink coconut water.

Good luck!

lizzywednesday
02-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I have several refillable bottles that I go through in a day.

And if I don't drink up, I get dizzy.

salsah
02-28-2011, 12:45 PM
i need to drink more water too. i just never seem to remember until i'm dehydrated (which happens easily). sometimes, if my water bottles are empty, i'm too lazy/busy to refill them (or the sink is too full of dirty dishes to fit my bottle under the filter) or if they need to be washed, i'm too lazy to wash them (or, again, the sink is too full). :bag and it never occurs to me to just use a glass.

i drank tons of water when i used bottled water. it was convenient, i always have full ones on hand, at home and in the car. they are light enough and spill proof that i could keep one in my bag. i actually think i prefer drinking out of those disposable plastic water bottles than out of my klean kanteens.

i think the best way to remind yourself to drink more is to just keep the water accessible. fill all your water bottles and then put one in each room.

eh613c
03-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I leave big glasses of water in the kitchen, by the computer, in the bathroom, etc., and make sure I drink some every time I pass.

I do the same thing too! Also you can try something different like adding lemon or cucumber (like at spas) to your water. You can also try bubbly water like Pellegrino or Perrier.

tmahanes
03-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I just have reusable bottles that we use. I also use lime wedges instead of lemon and it is yummy!

tiapam
03-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks! I want to get a water filter because I think our water could taste better.

I've been thinking lately about how during pregnancy I felt really good. Coincidentally(?), it's also the time it was easiest for me to remember to drink enough water. So I can do it for the babies, hopefully now I can get in the habit for me!

Sometimes I feel like I am chronically dehydrated. I have Sjogren's Syndrome so it's hard for me to gauge thirst.

jgenie
03-01-2011, 05:47 AM
The key for me is cold and a straw. I keep two pitchers in the fridge with filtered water so I always have really cold water on hand. I use a Thermos straw bottle to keep it cold and for some reason I drink more since it has a straw.

ShanaMama
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Sometimes I feel like I am chronically dehydrated.

Thanks for this thread. Since I read it, I've been trying some of the suggestions to increase my water intake. I am pretty sure I'm in a permanent state of dehydration. I can go through an entire day without one single drink of water. I drink way too much coffee, which really makes matters worse. I simply don't like to drink water. I think I also mistake thirst for hunger sometimes. My skin is horrible lately, so that's my latest incentive to drink more.

soon2b4
03-14-2011, 11:01 PM
I have a hard time with the taste of tap water, so filtering really helps with that. I also like to use thin orange slices for flavoring when lemon or lime is getting blah.

tmahanes
03-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for this thread. Since I read it, I've been trying some of the suggestions to increase my water intake. I am pretty sure I'm in a permanent state of dehydration. I can go through an entire day without one single drink of water. I drink way too much coffee, which really makes matters worse. I simply don't like to drink water. I think I also mistake thirst for hunger sometimes. My skin is horrible lately, so that's my latest incentive to drink more.

I tell my HS athletes for every caffinated drink you drink you have to drink the same amount of water to get back to the hydration level you were before you had the caffine. So everyday shoot for at least 8 cups of water plus water equal to the coffee you had. Seems to get it through their head how much caffine dehydrates.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

DebbieJ
03-14-2011, 11:39 PM
If you don't like the taste, try www.truelemon.com. They have lemon, lime, and orange flavors.