PDA

View Full Version : Leggings, tights and other leg coverings

citymama
02-28-2011, 04:23 AM
It's cold here most times of year and I'm self-conscious about my spider veined post-partum legs - so I like to have comfortable leggings and tights to cover my legs when wearing dresses and skirts. I own Hanna ribbed tights (yes, the grown-up version of the girls' ones - they ROCK!) and they're great in the winter as heavier-weight tights with skirts and sweaters.

Couple of questions for you.
1) I also own a couple of Hanna cable-knit ankle tights, but I don't really get what you're supposed to wear with them - boots and socks? Flats and no socks? What's the point of ankle tights if you have to wear socks? :confused:

2) For spring weather I'd like to get some capri-length leggings to wear with sandals (i.e. I don't want bare legs but I don't want warm legs either!). What would you recommend? I have some cute Athleta dresses and spring skirts I'd love to wear. I can't stand synthetic-ky blends that stick to the skin. I'm looking for something that has high cotton content, lightweight and breathable.

Many thanks for any reccs!

brgnmom
02-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Couple of questions for you.
1) I also own a couple of Hanna cable-knit ankle tights, but I don't really get what you're supposed to wear with them - boots and socks? Flats and no socks? What's the point of ankle tights if you have to wear socks? :confused:

2) For spring weather I'd like to get some capri-length leggings to wear with sandals (i.e. I don't want bare legs but I don't want warm legs either!). What would you recommend? I have some cute Athleta dresses and spring skirts I'd love to wear. I can't stand synthetic-ky blends that stick to the skin. I'm looking for something that has high cotton content, lightweight and breathable.

Many thanks for any reccs!

great to hear your positive reviews w/ regards to the Hanna cable-knit ankle tights for women.

here are my responses to your q's:
1) I would wear the ankle tights w/ flats & no socks. you could wear boots as well w/ socks when wearing them outside (I personally might feel awkward wearing socks w/ the ankle tights, if I had to take off my boots at someone else's home).

2) The American Apparel leggings seem to have a higher cotton content than other brands (http://www.americanapparel.com/women-leggings.html) and they have several options... the cropped/capri version has a couple of buttons at the bottom & I'm not sure if those would appealing to you, since you are pairing the leggings w/ dresses and skirts.

I'm subscribing to this thread b/c I prefer wearing leggings and tights w/ my dresses and skirts & am interested in hearing other suggestions as well. :)

hillview
02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I wear my leggings with boots and socks.
/hillary

Canna
02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
I bought several pairs of capri-length leggings to wear under dresses last year. I found cotton/spandex ones at Old Navy and Target that I thought were totally reasonable for the (low) price.

boltfam
02-28-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm agreeing on wearing ankle tights without socks. I think they look cute with flats.

mackmama
02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
I love Theory leggings. They are super comfy, and I wear them with Athleta dresses a lot.

citymama
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I love Theory leggings. They are super comfy, and I wear them with Athleta dresses a lot.

Where do you buy them?

mackmama
02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Where do you buy them?

I got mine at Nordstrom's.

Beth24
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
If you have time I would go to Nordstroms and check out all their leggings, from inexpensive (Brass Plum) to moderate (Hue) and more expensive, like Theory. They have a great selection and I am sure you will find something you like.

jvs195
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Not all cotton (I prefer the soft and stretchy - cotton loses color, shape and feels too dry to me) but I like my LE Canvas, Banana Republic and Boden leggings. I do have one pair of cotton I like from Kenneth Cole. The American Apparel ones are ok, but they run pretty small. I like the feel of the Hue ones, just haven't bought any.

tarahsolazy
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I like the Vera Wang leggings from Kohl's. They are very high cotton content, but plenty stretchy, and they come in capri length. Cheap, too. The Target Merona ones are thinner than Kohl's, but that's nice for full on summer wear.

arivecchi
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
I just bought some cute corduroy Hue leggings from nordstrom.com. They are on sale right now. I cannot wait to try them out!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hue-corduroy-stretch-leggings/3101337?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_ite=hue_corduroy_stretch_leggings:302150&cm_pla=hosiery:women:tights&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=C1ED95AD-1A91-DF11-9DA0-002219319097