PDA

View Full Version : It is so freakin' hot!

MamaMolly
02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
We are visiting the ILs in Florida. It is actually cooler OUTSIDE than in the house. They have the thermostat set at 80. I'm not kidding, I made DH go look for himself. 80 flippin' degrees, inside the house.

They aren't poor. They can most certainly afford to run the AC. I'm miserable, DH is miserable, my kids are sticky, sweaty and grouchy. None of us are sleeping well. AGGGGG!

No wonder MIL is always complaining that she is cold when she comes to visit. We try to keep it between 74-76. Frosty!:rolleyes:

ThreeofUs
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow. That is warm! Open some windows - the 70s sound like heaven from here.

Have to admit, my first thought was: "OMG, can I just stand in your shoes for a few minutes? I. am. so. tired. of. cold."

:)

mackmama
02-28-2011, 12:25 PM
So sorry MamaMolly. I have been there with the IL's and an overheated house. It is miserable! Can you ask them to turn on the AC just a little? Say it's for the kids! :)

hillview
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd just move the thermostat -- I'd tell grandma that the kids aren't sleeping and would it be ok to change the temp. I'd ask DH to do it :)
/hillary

Smillow
02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I just got back from visiting my parents in FL - it is always an adjustment to go from winter to practically summer & for the first few days I am roasting (although I don't want to complain about FL in January!). They are just used to it, not cheap! I will move the thermostat a bit, dress lighter & ask for a fan or turn on a ceiling fan, or even open a window at night. HTH!

eta: Older people who are on medication (don't know if this applies to your ILs) can feel cold even @ 80 (my Grandmother who is on lots of blood thinners has the stuffiest house ever!)

MamaMolly
02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd just move the thermostat -- I'd tell grandma that the kids aren't sleeping and would it be ok to change the temp. I'd ask DH to do it :)
/hillary

They went to the grocery store and I tried to change it, but it is digital and I honestly think they have some sort of lock on it, I can't change the temperature.

Lula and I are snarling at each other like rabid dogs. Dolly is a sticky ball of angry sweat.

Misery.

I live in an even hotter climate, so I'm in shorts, a tshirt and flip flops. And sweating my @$$ off.

Melanie
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Tell me, you have seen the Seinfeld on this? Yes, this was a Seinfeld episode as well.

My condolences, I don't think I could handle it. Next time they leave google the model # of the thermostat for directions.

MamaMolly
02-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Tell me, you have seen the Seinfeld on this? Yes, this was a Seinfeld episode as well.

My condolences, I don't think I could handle it. Next time they leave google the model # of the thermostat for directions.

OMG genius! THIS is how hot and fried I am. I didn't even think of doing this. DUH! :banghead:

salsah
03-01-2011, 01:06 AM
i feel your pain. my parents keep their house that warm too. dh and i get headaches when we are at their house.

can you get out of the house? run in the sprinklers?

Indianamom2
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Oh, I feel for you!

The first thing I thought of was the Seinfeld episode at Jerry's parent's house in Florida. It is SO true whenever we visit my parent's house...although it's not quite that bad...yet!

How much longer do you have to stay?

KDsMommy
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Ugggggg that is awful! We live in south Florida and it's been in the 80's here for a few weeks now. We keep the AC set at 74....I would DIE if I had to live in an 80 degree house. YUCK!

vonfirmath
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
We are visiting the ILs in Florida. It is actually cooler OUTSIDE than in the house. They have the thermostat set at 80. I'm not kidding, I made DH go look for himself. 80 flippin' degrees, inside the house.

We keep our thermostat set at 70 during the winter and 80 during the summer and don't run it in temperatures between. (in Texas). (and growing up, we did not turn on the air during the day at ALL. We had an attic fan and dealt with the heat.)

And at that our electricity bills are higher than we like. But that's the edge of what we can manage. If it is cooler outside than in, I'd turn off the air and let the free flow of air through the house do the job.

bigpassport
03-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I feel for you, OP. I hate being hot. I'm sure its not only hot but humid down there. I would ask them to turn the AC on a little. They can put on a sweater but you can't take off more clothes. At least go to the movies or the mall for a while each day to get a break from the heat!

wencit
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
If it is cooler outside than in, I'd turn off the air and let the free flow of air through the house do the job.Ooh, good idea! Are there any fans (not ceiling) somewhere in the house? Put one in front of an open window and turn it on. Hopefully just the breeze and rush of air coming in will cool you down a bit.

firemama
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
I feel for you!

SnuggleBuggles
03-01-2011, 11:15 PM
My G'parents IL were the same way when we stayed with them in FL! We were so, so hot sleeping there! I hate being hot when I sleep. Cold? Fine, bring on the clothes and blankets. Hot? What can you do except be miserable, soak cold towels on your forehead... hate it. Of course, every night I would assure them that we were fine. I wasn't willing to make them uncomfortable. I adore them and love spending time with them but staying with them never leads to good sleep.

Beth