PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shakes

lhafer
02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Not sure if this is the right section or not.

I am trying to loose weight, and want to add protein shakes/meal replacement shakes to my diet. What's the best one?

I know there are various ones on the market. I have tried Atkins Advantage drinks, the Myoplex Light/Low Carb, and the Special K protein shake. I do not have any interest in Slim Fast.

Which one is the best for weight loss? It's hard to figure out what's the better one nutritiously, to help me loos weight.

infomama
02-28-2011, 12:46 PM
If I were to add more protein I would go for milk or soy milk but I am trying to stay far away from stuff like commercial protein drinks. Maybe look into protein powder to add to a green smoothie?
This article was linked to here a while back for food for thought.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

I just started making green smoothies (weight loss and health benefits).
Lots of info on green smoothies out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXr8-jru1KE

eh613c
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Are you considering adding protein shakes to replace a meal or just to add protein to your diet to feel full longer?

brittone2
02-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I eat minimal sugar and prefer to sweeten with erythritol and stevia because I have PCOS.

I don't use protein powder all that often, but when I do use it, my personal fav is Jay Robb whey protein. Somewhat spendy, but it from hormone free dairy and it is non-denatured and is stevia sweetened.

Some Vitamin Shoppe stores sell individual packets so you could try it before investing in a larger canister. In my previous home state, WFs carried Jay Robb (canisters and I think individual packets too) but in my current state they do not.

lhafer
02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Are you considering adding protein shakes to replace a meal or just to add protein to your diet to feel full longer?

Not sure. I was thinking of using it as a snack or my inbetween meal in the afternoon.

eh613c
02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
If you're trying to lose weight, consider a high protein bar (like Think Thin or Atkins bar). The shakes may provide you with extra calories that you don't want. Plus, the pre-made protein shakes have chemicals that you don't want in your body (for example arsenic). Also, consider turkey jerky (from Trader Joe's) or just a handful of nuts.