PDA

View Full Version : Updated #25: Would you be disapointed with just cake at a party place b-day party?

AnnieW625
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Be honest with me.

We are debating about having DD1's birthday at our local Pump It Up! as DD1 has been requesting a party there since January (the last time she went to a party there), and truthfully at the two parties she's been to there she has had an amazing time. However to have the party there on a weekend is $315 (so $343 with tax) and that doesn't include an add on of food. Two slices of pizza per child and a drink is $2.95 per child, and if I just wanted pizza a whole pizza would be $15, so I figure we'd need 3 pizzas, total cost including pizzas and tax is almost $400. We can't bring in our own pizzas (would save at least $20 by buying just two large pizzas from Costco, and having them cut in squares vs. large slices), but can bring in cold salads, and dry snacks (what 5 yr. old is going to eat a cold salad?:shake:). I know you can have water bottles on the play floor, but I was thinking of just having snack packs of various cracker snacks like Goldfish, pretzels or fruit snacks available for them to have during a break, and then just do cupcakes in the birthday room. Maybe I could do grapes, strawberries, or orange slices in the middle of the table too. Does that sound reasonable? (I still need to call PIU and see if they will the dry snacks on the play floor)

We could save almost $100 by doing it there on a Monday through Thursday immediately following school, but since we have daycare friends too (and have to be out of town the one day the previous week that daycare is closed (district furloughs) for DN's christening we can't use that day) I would feel really bad if we couldn't have them at the party too, and don't want to inconvenience those parents. We could an all food included party for parents and adults on Friday afternoons for $375 and the party could be from 5 to 7 pm, but that is such a hard time esp. with WOTH parents IMHO.

babyready
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I would be absolutely fine with that as long as it was not during a mealtime. If the party is 11-1, then I would think people would expect more food. But as long as you time it right, snacks and cake are plenty, IMO. Who wants to spend all their time at a jump place eating anyway?

hillview
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I think cake and snacks (goldfish) would be great as long as it wasn't over the noon hour.
/hillary

AnnieW625
02-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I am thinking we would do either 1 to 3 or 3 to 5, which is what we have done with her parties at our house in the past and just had snack foods, and Costco sandwich rolls, and a large bag of salad for the adults and it worked out fine.

MMMommy
02-28-2011, 12:57 PM
What time will the party be? I think food expectations depend a lot on the time slot. If the party is from 2 to 4pm, I would expect light snacks and birthday cake. If the party is from 10am to noon or 11am to 1pm, I would probably expect something more substantial for the kids.

We've thrown a couple of parties at Pump It Up. Perhaps some locations are more lenient than others. But I do not think they will allow snack time or passing out of snacks to all the kids in the play area. I am guessing that they will limit food distribution to the food room. I remember our Pump It Up wouldn't allow us to bring fresh fruit because they offered fruit platters on their party food menu. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

Update: I think the 1 to 3pm time slot you mention above would be great for a "just snacks" party. Better than the 3 to 5pm time slot, where some parents might expect an early dinner for the kids.

JustMe
02-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I have done this several years in a row, and it has worked out fine (as far as I know anyway!). Out of your time choices above I would pick the 3-5 time (and I have always done 2-4 or 3-5, depending upon the place), just because I think there its very clear that its not during a mealtime, while some people do still eat a late lunch at 1pm. You are still pretty safe with that, but I might make some kind of a comment about not serving lunch or bringing kids fed and ready to play if you get the earlier time.

AnnieW625
02-28-2011, 12:59 PM
I remember our Pump It Up wouldn't allow us to bring fresh fruit because they offered fruit platters on their party food menu. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

Ours just offers pizza and soda so fruit, veggies, snacks, and other drinks are a okay.

crl
02-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Afternoon party? Just snacks and cake is great.

Catherine

brittone2
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Afternoon party? Just snacks and cake is great.

Catherine
:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2011, 01:11 PM
There's usually a limited time to eat anyway- just go with cake. :)

Beth

sewarsh
02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Assuming its not over lunch or dinner hour than I would be totally fine with it.

Just write on the invitation "cake and fruit to be served". or "cupcakes to be served". That way people will know.

traciann
02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
the pump it up parties we have been to have always had just a bag of chips, juice box and then cake served after they played. It was perfect and I didn't see the need for additional food since you are only in the party room for such a short time.

JMS
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree that as long as it's not a mealtime, pizza isn' t necessary. I just had a similar party for DD's 7th birthday. I wanted to share a surprising way I could have saved a little money. I brought tons of juice boxes (100% juice, Juicy Juice from Costco) for 22 kids. I also brought a 1/2 case of bottled water for any parents staying. EVERY kid wanted a water bottle. I could have just bought a case of those small sized water bottles from Costco and saved the money spent on juice boxes, not to mention that it's healthier.

Tondi G
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I think cupcakes and snacks would be fine since it will be an off time. I would make sure that the snacks are alright to serve though cause the kids will probably be hungry after all the running around and jumping.

brgnmom
02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I would definitely not be disappointed w/ a cake-only party in the afternoon. you are already holding DD's birthday party at a great venue. fruits would be a nice addition, but not necessary. you probably already know this but costco sells fruits like grapes in a larger quantity for a reasonable price, and I know that sprouts - farmer's market has decent specials on different fruits every week.

boolady
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
There's usually a limited time to eat anyway- just go with cake. :)

Beth

:yeahthat: As long as it's not at mealtime, given what Beth pointed out, I'd just as soon they not have to rush like crazy to eat pizza, etc., then have cake. The eating part always feels like such mad panic to me that I'd prefer to have birthday cake and call it a day.

lcarlson90
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
I would not do the 3 - 5 time slot unless you are going to do cake first. Giving the kids cake at 5 pm would be too close to dinner and parents might not like that. I think that it's fine to just do cake as long as it doesn't interfere w/ normal meal times.

SpaceGal
02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
I think 1-3 is a great time for a snack party as well. 3-5 is okay too but I know a lot of families that eat dinner at 5-6 as well...so that might be tough...but really not a huge deal.

And like PP said they are there to play and run not eat/snack.

KpbS
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Another vote for just cake. I'd keep it as simple as possible (cupcakes/cake) and juice boxes since you are spending more on the venue.

boilermakermom
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Just make sure it is noted on the invite that it is just snacks and cake...the 1-3 slot made me wonder of parents running errands, etc. thinking that LO will eat at the party.

As long as it's noted, sounds great!!

kijip
02-28-2011, 11:41 PM
I would be absolutely fine with that as long as it was not during a mealtime. If the party is 11-1, then I would think people would expect more food. But as long as you time it right, snacks and cake are plenty, IMO. Who wants to spend all their time at a jump place eating anyway?

I agree.

I also would add that whatever food is available should be available for all of the guests, parents included. I recall taking my older son to parties during/near a meal time when he was in Kindergarten, so when I was pregnant with my younger son, and standing around starving because the parents decided that lunch meant only lunch for the kids. I will never do that to anyone, ever.

mommy111
02-28-2011, 11:59 PM
cake alone, i would totally be disappointed (my kids are not huge sweet people, so that would mean maybe nothing for them at all). However, what you are suggesting, cake and snacks, would be awesome! Even just an alternative snack for people who don't eat/like cake would be good.

sste
03-01-2011, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't mind so long as its not directly at lunch time.

Our local pump it up has some sort of reduced price for the early morning slot. We have been to 2 parties (1 at 9am the other at 915) where they got that reduced price and they just served bagels cut into quarters or donuts and cake. You should ask at your local pump it up about cheaper morning slots . . .

Neelloc
03-01-2011, 11:13 AM
As long as it isn't over a mealtime, I think just snacky things are fine.

AnnieW625
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Thank you all soo much for your input!

DH and I finally decided what we are going to do. We couldn't fathom spending almost $400 (including food/drinks, and goody bags) on a birthday party when we could have a party for $150 less on a weekday. Plus we thought we'd rather use the $400 and buy Disney passes again. So we decided that we'd rather spend less maybe $150 max and have a bounce house in the back yard, have pink lemonade (DD1 loves the Pinkalicious' Pink Lemonade book) and pizza, and do some sort of craft. We also decided that we'd just invite the girls from preschool, and one friend from daycare, so a max of 15 kids, and send in treats on the following Monday at school and daycare.

Thanks again!

niccig
03-07-2011, 02:11 PM

DH and I finally decided what we are going to do. We couldn't fathom spending almost $400 (including food/drinks, and goody bags) on a birthday party when we could have a party for $150 less on a weekday. Plus we thought we'd rather use the $400 and buy Disney passes again. So we decided that we'd rather spend less maybe $150 max and have a bounce house in the back yard, have pink lemonade (DD1 loves the Pinkalicious' Pink Lemonade book) and pizza, and do some sort of craft. We also decided that we'd just invite the girls from preschool, and one friend from daycare, so a max of 15 kids, and send in treats on the following Monday at school and daycare.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a perfect plan.

Laurel
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks again!

Honestly, I would prefer this party a billon times more than Pump it Up. I hate Pump it Up. Good decision!

brgnmom
03-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Sounds like it'll be a fun party. :)

KpbS
03-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Thanks again!

Sounds fun and like a much better use of the money! Expensive parties make me :dizzy:

boolady
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Honestly, I would prefer this party a billon times more than Pump it Up. I hate Pump it Up. Good decision!

I would prefer this too, and I think DD would have a blast at a party like you've described. Have fun!

JamiMac
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I think this is a great idea! This is what we've done and everyone loves it.

maestramommy
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
We just went to a 4yo party at a My Gym, and it was literally cake only. Okay, there was also water and juice boxes:p. The kids played and played, and had some cake, then played some more. It was awesome!:thumbsup:

bisous
03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I think your solution sounds perfect! :) I love those kinds of parties and I like the way that you customized it with little things (like the lemonade--kids love stuff like that) and made it fit your budget. Bravo!

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Love it! Sounds like a great plan!! I love at home b-day parties. :)

Beth