PDA

View Full Version : So Mad I Could Spit...Need Some Advice

Indianamom2
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I mentioned before that my Ford Windstar minivan has been recalled, not once, but twice, and has been sitting on a Ford dealership car lot since mid-October. I have heard absolutely nothing from Ford since October, except for the second recall letter.

This morning, while sitting in the waiting room for my OBGYN appt. (fun stuff already), I get a call from the dealership informing me that my van is going to be ready to be picked up at 5 pm this afternoon. They replaced the rear axle (it was irrepairable) and the front subframe (second recall, similar issue) was corroded and needs to be reinforced, but I'll have to bring it back in at a later date (when parts are available) to be reinforced.

Well, besides the first obvious issue that I have no confidence in my van anymore because I'll be driving it with damage until I can get it fixed, I told the service manager that I couldn't pick up the van today because I am booked solid through the evening (buying a used car for DH...great timing) and I could pick it up tomorrow morning.

The service manager informed me that that was fine, but Ford would not cover the rental car after today! I told him that was absolutely unacceptable because I hadn't even had 24 hours notice to come pick up the vehicle and that I would absolutely not pay any rental fees because this was ridiculous. He wouldn't budge, but told me I could call Ford.

I called Ford after my doctor's appt., and got absolutely nowhere. They talked with the dealership and said there was nothing they could do...I'd have to pay the $40 rental fee if I didn't pick up the van today. I told them again that this was absolutely not acceptable and that I couldn't believe they would treat a customer, who has been exceptionally patient SINCE OCTOBER, this way and that they needed to make this right. They wouldn't budge.

I have never been so angry with a customer service issue before. I cannot believe that a company as old as Ford would quibble of $40 after all the inconvenience they have caused me and my family. I had to fight to get a decent rental vehicle that would fit our family and now this.

I was in tears by the end of the conversation, and that is something I NEVER do. Ford is trying to blame the dealership over not giving me sufficient notice (which is true) and the dealership is claiming Ford won't pay, and I'm stuck in the middle with nowhere to turn...but I am NOT paying for this rental. I just don't know what to do. I seriously can't get there today. It won't be ready, even if I could be, and I really don't have the time. I would have to clean the rental, uninstall, then reinstall two carseats (with my 19 month old with me) and there just isn't any way to do the other things that absolutely have to be done today done.

Do I have any recourse here? This can't be okay. I will never deal with Ford again after this, and I can't imagine treating customers this way. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I can call to make this right, or is there anything that can be done?

I'm sorry to vent all this here, but I am so upset and I think this just the straw that finally broke this very stressed camel's back today.

AnnieW625
02-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh jease! What a bummer, and isn't your DH getting a new car today (or am I confusing you with someone else?)? I can't really help as I haven't had to deal with your situation before, but good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Keep calling Ford and asking to speak to someone higher up. Eventually you'll find someone to ok this, I think!

Beth

Indianamom2
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Oh jease! What a bummer, and isn't your DH getting a new car today (or am I confusing you with someone else?)? I can't really help as I haven't had to deal with your situation before, but good luck.

Yes, Dh is getting a new (used) car tonight, which is part of why we can't get the van today....tons of stuff to do before then, and then the actual paper signing, trade-in, etc....It's really bad timing all the way around.

Indianamom2
02-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Keep calling Ford and asking to speak to someone higher up. Eventually you'll find someone to ok this, I think!

Beth

I would never have thought they'd quibble over this. I did ask to speak to someone higher up, but the lady kept saying there was no one else. Yeah right! I think I'm going to have to do some more calling, like you said.

katydid1971
02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Call the car rental company. Your rental might be covered until tomorrow morning or whatever time you picked up the rental anyway. They usually run them that the day starts and end at the time of pick up, so if you picked up the car at 11am then you would have until 11 am to return it. Ford should be covering this but this might be an easier/ less stressful solution for you.

mezzona
02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
I would never have thought they'd quibble over this. I did ask to speak to someone higher up, but the lady kept saying there was no one else. Yeah right! I think I'm going to have to do some more calling, like you said.

yeah, i'm sure she has a boss! so sorry you are going thru this. you have been so patient!

eta. i think i read this somewhere here: when you hit a wall in customer service, etc, ask that person what they would do if they were in your shoes. they may have a bit of information you dont.

momm
02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Wow - I am sorry

I would ask to speak to the manager of the guy you were talking to at Ford - they can't do that to you

ThreeofUs
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I suggest you call your local TV station's and/or newspaper's consumer affairs reporter. Talk to them about it, get their advice, and then call Ford and the dealership again. Tell them who you talked to and that you posted this on your social networking sites as well as a bulletin board.

You have to fight this with fire.

larig
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I don't think you should be sorry you're posting this here, and frankly you should post the dealerships' name and service manager's email. Might not hurt to have their name dragged through the mud online.

BabbyO
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree...I'd keep asking that they speak to someone higher up until they resolve this issue. It is TOTALLY unacceptable that you haven't received sufficient notice. If Ford says it's the dealership's fault, then they should take it up with the dealership THAT REPRESENTS FORD!!!

As another aside, when I run into problems like this, I'm certain to let the company know that they have not only lost me as a customer, but I will be certain to let everyone I know about the terrible service I've received at the hands of their company.

FWIW, I don't know you from Adam and although DH and I are looking for a car, I'm pretty sure we won't be looking at a Ford, now (we actually stopped and looked at a few at the car show this weekend).

Good Luck...I hope you get the treatment you deserve...Remind them how patient you've been...

You could also threaten to charge them for your inconvenience and loss of time. I did that to a carpet company that showed up 4 hours late...I charged them for 4 hours of my hourly pay because I had to miss a full day of work instead of a half day.

jenfromnj
02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I suggest you call your local TV station's and/or newspaper's consumer affairs reporter. Talk to them about it, get their advice, and then call Ford and the dealership again. Tell them who you talked to and that you posted this on your social networking sites as well as a bulletin board.

This is a great suggestion, as well as the one to politely demand to speak to higher ups until you get someone who can actually help you. ITA with you that, after having your van for over 4 months due to THEIR issue, to expect you to drop everything and pick it up on only a few hours' notice is completely unacceptable. Sorry you're dealing with this!

niccig
02-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I don't think you should be sorry you're posting this here, and frankly you should post the dealerships' name and service manager's email. Might not hurt to have their name dragged through the mud online.

Go on yelp and leave a review...do as trales suggested and contact local paper and tell the customer service rep that this is what you have done. PM me the customer service email of the dealership and I'll send an email saying how disgusted I am by their lack of CS and this tarnishes Ford's name etc.

Use the power of social media. My sister got stuck in Heathrow just before Christmas beause of the snow storm. She's a professor in marketing and her emphasis is on internet marketing. She tweeted, she blogged, she included photos of people sleeping on the floor, she set up an online petition demanding better rights for travellers, she got interviewed by the BBC radio at the airport...and she was on a plane ASAP.

truly scrumptious
02-28-2011, 01:56 PM
You've gotten some great advice from PPs.

Another thought. Report them to the Better Business Bureau (it is very easy and quick to do online) and then let them (both the dealership and Ford) know you have done this. They are required to respond to the BBB inquiry and that will usually light a fire under someone high up.

Good luck!

Indianamom2
02-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Thank you all so much. Your support and good ideas mean so much. I really don't think I'm being at all unreasonable in this, but Ford is really ticking me off.

I'm on hold with someone else who is higher up...I think...(I've been hung up on twice now, which is not helping my mood!) but I'm not hopeful here. They keep calling the dealership, but I think Ford should be able to handle this without calling back and forth. I've already spent several hours dealing with this and now I have a headache.

I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm not trying to drag Ford's reputation through the mud, because up until this happened, I wanted to patronize Ford simply because they didn't take the auto bailout....but now it's a different story. I don't think a company should treat a customer like this and expect to get away with it without repurcussions.

ThreeofUs
02-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh, I've heard tweeting (per Nicci's suggestion) really gets results from companies. No idea why, but consider telling them you're going to tweet about this!

Melanie
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I'd be livid and would go up the chain at the dealership to complain. They should eat the costs...their mistake to not give you proper notice.

larig
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Um, this is SO short-sighted on their part. To make a big stink over $40. STUPID.

larig
02-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Go on yelp and leave a review...do as trales suggested and contact local paper and tell the customer service rep that this is what you have done. PM me the customer service email of the dealership and I'll send an email saying how disgusted I am by their lack of CS and this tarnishes Ford's name etc.

Use the power of social media. My sister got stuck in Heathrow just before Christmas beause of the snow storm. She's a professor in marketing and her emphasis is on internet marketing. She tweeted, she blogged, she included photos of people sleeping on the floor, she set up an online petition demanding better rights for travellers, she got interviewed by the BBC radio at the airport...and she was on a plane ASAP.

Awesome story about your sister!

AnnieW625
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm not trying to drag Ford's reputation through the mud, because up until this happened, I wanted to patronize Ford simply because they didn't take the auto bailout....but now it's a different story. I don't think a company should treat a customer like this and expect to get away with it without repurcussions.

DH's thoughts are the same on the same subject, and we both grew up in families with heavy GM ownership of trucks (him), Cadillacs (grandparents), and GM wagons (my family). I still think we'd buy a Honda again over a Ford, but if our finances were tight and we decided to go American we'd go with Ford because they didn't take any govt. money.

I would still call/email your local TV station and pitch your situation to their consumer reporter because I think maybe they could shed some light on your situation so this doesn't happen again.

eh613c
02-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Try calling your car insurance. They may fork up the $40.

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I bet Ford (and maybe even the dealership) have Facebook pages. YOu can go and write about this on their wall.

Beth

TwinFoxes
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I would call Ford HQ in Dearborn, MI, and ask to speak to their public relations department. Do you have a blog? Tell them you are a blogger, and this is what happened to you.. Or just tell them what happened, and tell them you're trying to get recourse every way you can, including plastering the incident all over the internet. Say you will be happy to go back and update your posts.

niccig
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Awesome story about your sister!

It helped that she already has a twitter account, a blog and people who read it because of her work. Your average person, me, couldn't have pulled it off as I don't have any of that.

o_mom
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
What does the rental agreement say about who is paying? Did you sign anything when you picked up the loaner?

TwoBees
02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't have any additional advice-- I think the PPs have given great advice. But I wanted to tell you that you are not at all being unreasonable. You've actually been incredibly patient. I would have fought them back in October!

BabyMine
02-28-2011, 03:47 PM
I bet Ford (and maybe even the dealership) have Facebook pages. YOu can go and write about this on their wall.

Beth

:yeahthat: I am still doing this with Scan Design. First call the rental company then try the above.

MamaMolly
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Somebody signs her paychecks. There is always a higher up.

ANd just for some perspective, when it took the Subaru dealership 2 months to get a part for my car I called the 1800 number and spoke to their customer service rep who told ME it was unacceptable, Subaru repaid me my 2 car payments and for my rental car when insurance ran out. Now that is a company I'll buy from again!

scrooks
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM

:yeahthat: exactly what I was thinking!

ECMom
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
When you are handed the bill tomorrow, ask to speak to the dealership's general manager. Explain why you weren't able to get there earlier & ask if he/she would wave the rental fee. Explain how the whole ordeal has been cumbersome for your family (having the kids there would help :)) but you appreciate all the dealership has done for you. If he/she says no, say how disappointed you are & pay the bill. I'm of the school of thought that honey gets you further than vinegar.

Once home, write a letter to the owner of the dealership asking for a refund. I'd also try the facebook route. I know from personal experience that writing a letter to Ford management will get you nowhere. Good luck.

bubbaray
02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
If you want me to search for you, I'm happy to.

Here is Ford's Twitter page: http://twitter.com/ford