PDA

View Full Version : When you think of giving a Boppy as a gift...

conniez
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
do you see it more as for Mom or more for Baby? I have hubby's best friend's wife having a boy & my own cousin (unsure of the sex) giving birth in August, and I got 2 Boppy pillows from a recent Gilt sale. One was a print called "pussy willow"
http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/001/485/139/trimmed/1485064_6438139_trimmed.jpg
and the other Organic Forest
http://www.idealbaby.com/assets/images/organicforestsc.jpg. Do you think giving a feminine print Boppy pillow is inappropriate for a mama giving birth to a boy?

BabyBearsMom
02-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Hmmm, I think of it as something that should match the gender of the baby.

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I think of it as an accessory, like a high chair or bouncy seat. I'm more likely to want to match the home's decor than anything. But there are probably enough people that wouldn't want pink for a girl that I wouldn't do it unless I knew the mom would be ok with it.
Beth

AnnieW625
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
How well do you know the mom? Most first time moms want things that match the gender of the baby. I never used my Boppy outside the house though if I had gotten a pink boppy for a boy it wouldn't have mattered to me (both of my Boppy covers are gender neutral though because I liked them and we had girls when I bought the first, and didn't know the sex of DD2 when I bought the second). I would honestly though just go and buy another cover for it. They have a nice soft green/blue cover that is great and I think it was $15. Or you could just sell the Boppy for what you bought it for on Craigslist.

lizzywednesday
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Honestly, I think less about the print and Baby's sex than I do about comfort.

And I think that the fleece/cotton covers are a lot more comfy for Mama and Baby than the plain cotton ones, and the organic covers are nice enough to spend the $$ on.

FWIW, I have a girl, have a Boppy with a blue elephant print (fleece & cotton; from the Dwell for Target collection) and a brown dots print (fleece & cotton.) The elephant cover was a registry item; the brown was a cover I picked up as a spare after buying a plain, non-organic cotton one and finding it way too scratchy for me.

I think I'd have registered for the elephant print even if I'd known I was having a girl (which I didn't, though I suspected as much) because it went with our nursery theme and I liked it a lot more than the "girl" print. A

lso, it goes with the sheets in OUR bedroom, which is where it lives, so, again, I think I'd have done the same thing.

I really think that this will depend on the mama of the baby-to-be: if she's like me, she might prefer something that goes with the color palette in her house or something that goes with the nursery over "pink is for girls and blue is for boys", IYKWIM?

conniez
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I know the wife pretty well, although we don't see each other or talk much now that we're all older & busier. I met her because she was the gf (now wife) of one of hubby's 2 best friends. I personally am not one of those people who thinks that boys should only wear blue & play with "boy" toys (or vice versa: girls should wear pink & only play w/dolls), but you are all very right that some people out there would want to match baby items w/gender. When I think of a Boppy pillow, I picture as something for mom to use to help w/bf'ing or bottle feedings, but some moms will prob. see it as something for the baby. I just never used mine to prop up my dd's on their own.

candaceb
02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
I think gender neutral or "a little feminine" is OK for a boy, but that pink just screams girly girl. We end up using the boppy as a prop for photos, and I definitely wouldn't want to use the pink one for my little guy. I think the "organic forest" is neutral and OK for a boy.

creativelightbulb
02-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I think of it as an accessory, like a high chair or bouncy seat. I'm more likely to want to match the home's decor than anything. But there are probably enough people that wouldn't want pink for a girl that I wouldn't do it unless I knew the mom would be ok with it.
Beth

:yeahthat:

I matched each of my boppy's on my registry with the decor of the room they are stationed in...

while I'm probably a bit OCD about that type of thing - I'd be hesitant to gift the pink to a mom that was having a boy...

WolfpackMom
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I think gender neutral or "a little feminine" is OK for a boy, but that pink just screams girly girl. We end up using the boppy as a prop for photos, and I definitely wouldn't want to use the pink one for my little guy. I think the "organic forest" is neutral and OK for a boy.

I am not in the camp of boys gets blue on everything, but I could see being a bit perplexed if I was pregnant with a boy and received a pink baby item. The Organic Forest would match my DS' room so I definitely think its appropriate for a boy.

BabbyO
02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm in the camp that the cover should match the gender of the baby....OR be gender neutral. In this case, I think I'd give the forest one since it is gender neutral.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-28-2011, 02:04 PM

the forest one seems gender neutral but i wouldn't get a pink boppy cover as a gift unless the baby was a girl.

i am not one of those people who thinks blue is only for boys etc, and i don't think it's a big deal if boys use pink things ...but to my DH it is a big deal. plus i take a lot of pictures of DS in various settings and post them to facebook, and i know my dh would not have been happy if i had taken a pic of DS in a pink boppy

smilequeen
02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
I tend to think of the boppy as matching the baby. It's easy to get a new cover for one though if you got a great deal. I've used the same boppy for each baby but with new covers (although mine were all boys, the covers just felt like they needed replacing).

conniez
02-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Thank you all for your opinions! This is why it's a good thing to ask others their thoughts or I may have ended up embarassing myself (or DH) :rotflmao:

mackmama
02-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I think a Boppy is a great gift. I see it as a gift for both baby and parents as it's great for breastfeeding and for tummy time. I think the pink is too gender-specific for a boy. Some people also don't really like pink even for a girl. I think the forest could go boy/girl, but I'd only give the pink one for a girl (and if the parents like pink).

vonfirmath
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM

I would not get a pink boppy for a boy.