PDA

View Full Version : Did/Will anyone celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday this week?

creativelightbulb
02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm bummed I found out late about Target stores hosting a celebration this past Saturday. Apparently, they did the same last year.

Are any of you planning to attend or host any events?

My DD is only 6-months but I will tuck the idea in my hat for a future kiddie book club celebration of the Doc's March 2nd b' day.

HIU8
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
We went to Target. It was ok. It was basically Target employees reading books on a carpet. You could come and go as you please. They did give out goody bags with stuff for the kids (still trying to figure out how the coffee ring was a good idea for kids--we threw it away). Books were $5 also.

Swallowbird23
02-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Our school does something every year. Each class has a "Guest Reader" come in to read them a book in the morning. The kids are also told to bring a book with them everywhere they go during the day (to lunch, to PE, music, etc) Then several times throughout the day they play a chime over the PA system. When the kids hear the chime the stop whatever they are doing and read a book for 10 minutes.

ohsara430
02-28-2011, 02:23 PM
No, I personally don't care for Dr. Seuss but I know lots of schools celebrate it.

kristenk
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
The first grade classrooms at DD's school celebrate it. The kids pick a Dr. Seuss book, do a project, write a book report, read the book report to the class, paint/cut-out a big picture of the character for the walls, dress up as the character for a parade through the school, and, finally, have green eggs and ham and birthday cake. It's a pretty big day for the first graders at school!