PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for two or add-on?

fedoragirl
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I know there have been several threads on this but my situation is a little different so I thought I'd start my own thread.
DD will be 20 months when baby #2 arrives.
We have THREE strollers and I would prefer not to get any more.
BJCM is my favorite for the car.
MB Swift is perfect for everything else.
Cybex Callisto was an impulse buy but will work well for stores.
I also have the Moby Wrap (which I am very comfortable using) and the Ergo (which I also love).
I have considered these options:
1. Buy a used bassinet for MB Swift and have newborn in it while I strap 25 lbs (now) DD in Ergo.
2. Buy a hitch hiker sort of contraption and have DD ride it. What happens when she gets tired?

We will be living in Europe not that matters much other than weight requirements for hauling the stroller off and on public transportation. Germany is very stroller friendly and they certainly have HUGE strollers there.
How practical is it to have an older child strapped to you while pushing new born?
How about the add-on to the stroller on bumpy cobbled streets? And the added danger of toddler hopping off and running into the street?
Do I have to buy a double stroller and if so, which one should I sell? I couldn't possible keep three and a double stroller. No storage for one, and DH would have a fit.

WatchingThemGrow
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
I could not imagine having my 20 month old not having his own seat. No way. Nor could I imagine toddlerwearing for every errand while also caring for a baby. I'm not totally familiar with how things are in Germany or what's available there, but I'd start looking at your stash to see what you can live without.

arivecchi
02-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Sounds like you need a P&T with doubles kit.....

roseyloxs
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
I also carry around my 25lb 20 month old in the Beco so I think its doable but it is not always going to be the most convenient. I would skip the bassinet; it makes more sense to wear your newborn in the moby and let your toddler ride. I think you can try it out for the first few months and see how its working for you. Maybe you'll end up trading in your swift for a duet.

ahrimie
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I would wear the newborn and let the toddler ride.

roseyloxs
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
As much as I love my indie twin I could have easily gotten by without it. I have about half a dozen babywearing options and a valco hitchhiker.

WatchingThemGrow
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
As much as I love my indie twin I could have easily gotten by without it. I have about half a dozen babywearing options and a valco hitchhiker.
your older one is 8 mos older than the OP's when the 2nd was born, though, right? Mine were 18m apart and I could not have gotten by without it. Maybe it's just that my DD was a fiesty toddler, though... Heck, she's STILL fiesty and claims her seat in the double. My middle one walks while she rides.

A P&T does sound like a good option, OP.

roseyloxs
02-28-2011, 11:02 PM
your older one is 8 mos older than the OP's when the 2nd was born, though, right?

True. The OP stated she doesn't want to buy another stroller though. I would try to work with what you have until it no longer works. Good luck.

fedoragirl
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
So, is everyone suggesting that I get a double as my best option?

roseyloxs
03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
So, is everyone suggesting that I get a double as my best option?

if you want one. I would probably sell either the BJCM or the Callisto since they are similar.