PDA

View Full Version : need advice on hitting twins

michousmom
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi, my twins just turned one. They are getting in the habit of hitting and slapping each other. What is the best way to get them to stop? We tell them "No, it hurts" but they just repeat "no" back to us and continue to hit each other. Advice please!!

twowhat?
02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
At that age, I said "No hitting" and physically separated them. And redirect, redirect, redirect. And yes, it's exhausting:) Sometimes I'd actually keep them on opposite sides of a baby gate!

TwinFoxes
02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
At that age, I said "No hitting" and physically separated them. And redirect, redirect, redirect. And yes, it's exhausting:)

Same here. I think they a little young to grasp the "not nice" concept, so separating them is the way to go. I would always say "not nice" so it would eventually click. Our issues wasn't hitting, it was hair pulling.

Melaine
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Yep, physically separating them was the only thing that worked at that age. And I did start time outs at that point. I would say "no hitting" and put the offender in the pack 'n play for a couple minutes. Like pp, redirecting and distracting.

mikeys_mom
02-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Our issue was (and still is) biting. At that age I just said - no biting and redirected. I think they are a bit young to understand time outs. We just started now at age 2 to be more consistent with time outs. The biter is put in her crib for two minutes.

michousmom
03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
thanks for the advice! i will try just separating and maybe time out in the playard. so far, the timeouts don't seem to work because they enjoy being in there. i guess i have to remove all their toys in there first- lol!