PDA

View Full Version : How to put drops in DD eyes???

babyonway
02-28-2011, 08:42 PM
My DD (9 mos) has pink eye and we have to put 2 drops in her eyes 3 times daily :( it is a struggle,

First we have to clean them with cotton then put in the drops. wuth the cotton cleaning the screaming and sqiurming started and the drops were next to impossible. i gave her a paci and tried to give her something to hold to distract her. but nothing helped. i tried to first hold her in a cradle position. no luck. then i tried having her lie on floor i knelt on floor and tried to hold her head between my knees. being that contained really set her off.

Any ideas how i could do this?

elephantmeg
02-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I would lay her between your legs with her head towards you, pin her arms and legs with your legs and do it quick. It's no fun but it should get easier with time!

YouAreTheFocus
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
We had to do the drops when our son was 13 mos. It was torture for all of us. IME you just have to pin 'em down and get it over with. One person lays the baby across their lap, holds head still w/ one hand, arms down w/ the other. Other person opens eye & does drops.

Sorry you have to do this.

chays
02-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Ask for the ointment instead. You can just rub it on her lashes - some of it will get in eventually.

army_mom
02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
We had to do the drops when our son was 13 mos. It was torture for all of us. IME you just have to pin 'em down and get it over with. One person lays the baby across their lap, holds head still w/ one hand, arms down w/ the other. Other person opens eye & does drops

:yeahthat:

so sorry you have to do this. It was hard to do but it cleared up very quickly.

dr mom
02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Easiest way to do this is with the child's eyes CLOSED. Warm the drops for a minute or two, holding the bottle in your hand or float it in warm (not hot) water. Put the drops in the inner corners of her closed eyes, and when she opens them, the medicine will run into the eyes. Sneak up on her when she's sleeping, if you can. Works best with older kids who can co-operate, but even a busy 9-month-old has to nap sometime. Warmed drops won't startle her awake.

Globetrotter
02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
This works for us:

Close their eyes. Put a drop in the corner of the eyelid, near the nose. When they open their eyes, slightly tilt their head so the drop falls into the eye. as they blink, it will get in. You have to keep track of whether the drops fall somewhere else completely!

hillview
02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Another sneak up on them and do it quickly mom here. It sucks and will be over soon. I like the idea of eyes closed ...
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
MD told me to do it this way: turn on the TV and put the DC on the ground on his back so that he has to look behind him (so perpendicular to TV, feet going in opposite direction). He'll open his eyes and look backwards to see the TV, giving you a straight shot to drop them in..

lil_acorn
02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Another option is to wait until she is asleep and do it then.