PDA

View Full Version : Would a daycare like this make you a little nervous? Even though it sounds fun?

khalloc
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm looking for a new daycare for my DD who will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. Her current daycare is not near our house so does not serve our neighborhood school. So I found out from a friend (another mom, about a home daycare she uses. She sends her older DD there and her younger DD goes to my DD's daycare, and will go to K with my DD in the fall. She will go to this daycare in the fall with her sister, for afterschool care (when K starts).

So the woman does a summer program. She hires a university early childhood education student to help her in the summer. She does field trips 2x a week. Not exactly sure what, but real fun stuff according to my friend.

We live in a very outdoorsy area. I'm in Vermont if that helps you picture it at all. This woman brings the kids canoeing right down the road from her house. They go swimming and it sounds like they do it at least a few days a week (we live pretty much right on a lake). She has 2 vehicles that she uses to transport the kids in. According to my friend, one is a station wagon (not sure what kind yet) and the other is a larger van. So I am imagining that they use the vehicles at least 2x a week for the fieldtrips.

So in terms of fun, this place sounds great. But I'm a tad nervous about all the water activities (DD cant swim). But I would love to get her lessons. I obviously WOH so scheduling can be an issue with this. And also a little nervous about someone else driving her around. But according to my mom friend, the student she hired last year was fantastic and she hopes to have her back this summer.

She takes 12 kids in the summer. I believe she starts at age 3+, but I get the feeling that most of the kids are older. Not many 3 year olds. DD will be 6 in November.

I am going to meet her on Monday, and will find out more about the field trips and swimming, transportation, etc...I imagine she must have booster seats? Or we could provide her with a carseat? DD does not ride in a booster at home, but will be 5.5 this summer so I feel like it would probably be OK if she did.

According to the state website this daycare doesnt have any infractions or anything like that. And my friend says its great. She was hesitant to put her DD there at age 3, because the woman has a raised ranch and would go upstairs to prepare snacks/lunch and she didnt like the idea of a 3 year old unsupervised, but at age 5 she was OK with that (and I am too). I leave my kids in the basement playroom by themselves.

Also, I would not be ending my almost 3 year old son there, just my 5.5 year old DD.

LMPC
03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
It sounds like a mini-summer camp to me, but the only thing that worries me is the 6:1 ratio for the water activities. I would want to know about lifeguard certification and if there are other adults present on these field trips (e.g., lifeguard at a pool). Also if the kids wear lifejackets.

Water makes me nervous when it comes to kids because things can happen so fast. JMHO.

Pennylane
03-01-2011, 10:14 AM
No way, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it at all! Too low of a teacher/student ration IMHO especially since she will be transporting the child and around water.

Ann

kerridean
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Nope, no way!!!!!!! When it comes to water, I want one on one adult supervision. With a 3 year old non swimmer, there needs to be an adult physically holding the child the ENTIRE time. Floaties and/or water wings are not enough.

artvandalay
03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes, it would make me nervous, especially since you said your DD can't swim. I have a 6 year old who can't swim (we've enrolled him in a swimming class and it did not go well) and I wouldn't put him in a class like this.

weech
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
12 kids and two adults canoeing? Not a chance. I don't care if my kid was training to be an olympic swimmer - I just think it's too risky.

khalloc
03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Well, to be fair, "swimming" might just mean they are playing on the beach and wading. She doesnt have a pool or anything...The canoeing makes me nervous a little. I guess I will find out more on Monday.

sunshine873
03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
It sounds like a mini-summer camp to me, but the only thing that worries me is the 6:1 ratio for the water activities. I would want to know about lifeguard certification and if there are other adults present on these field trips (e.g., lifeguard at a pool). Also if the kids wear lifejackets.

Water makes me nervous when it comes to kids because things can happen so fast. JMHO.

:yeahthat: Even in a group of 1:1 mom to kid, a 30 second attention deficit can lead to a tragedy. But I've witnessed a close call & am a little hyper-sensitive about water activities because of it. Also - a pool is different than a river or lake. In a pool if a kid goes under, you know where they are right away...not necessarily in natural water with murkiness, possible currents, etc.

khalloc
03-01-2011, 10:27 AM
That is so true about the murkiness of a lake. Ugh. This is making me uneasy. What if she requires them to wear life jackets the whole time?

I dont have any hesitations for the after-school care, because then they wont be out doing field trips and swimming stuff. But I kind of wanted her to not have to start a new daycare + Kindergarten all in the same week. Going for the summer would allow her to be used to the new daycare before school started. And she would have a good friend going there with her.

bubbaray
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I would be fine with that type of daycare, if it were mostly older kids -- 16 3yos and 2 teachers isn't enough IMO. But mostly schoolaged, fine by me. Both my kids are excellent swimmers and I would provide PFDs for them. FWIW, my kids would love that camp!

artvandalay
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
That is so true about the murkiness of a lake. Ugh. This is making me uneasy. What if she requires them to wear life jackets the whole time?

I would imagine she would make them wear life jackets. I guess water just makes me nervous. If my kids are near water, I want to be there.

khalloc
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Ok, so I just found my state's home daycare regulations and in the safety section it said that children under the age of 5 needed to be in a child safety seat, but that children over 5 can be restrained using a safety belt - WTF? I think my state has pretty good carseat laws. Its "All kids who weigh over 20 pounds and fall in between the ages of one and eight must ride in either a booster or a child safety seat." So does the home daycare regulations that say "safety belt" really mean just a safety belt? Or are they really saying that they need to be in a booster seat, restrained by a safety belt?

ohsara430
03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Sounds like it would be great you would just need to get DD in swim lessons asap. I understand the hesitation about water activities but really I would think of it as great motivation to get the swimming lessons done and give DD some opportunities for water activities so she does learn to be safe and how to handle it. When you talk to the woman just get more details and see what she says when you tell her DD can't swim she may not want to take a non-swimmer with all of the water activities they do.

carolinamama
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't rule out that daycare at all until you meet the lady and see it for yourself. It sounds like wonderful fun. And if you feel that the safety points are met and you have an overall good feeling about it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. I would want my child in a pdf on a murky lake (we make our kids wear them on the lake even when they are with us and DS1 is a good swimmer). And I would want my kid in a booster even if I had to provide it.

I can't imagine that the kids are traveling without atleast boosters, but then again, I see so many parents load their kids up in cars and travel without them "for short distances" that not much surprises me anymore regarding kids and cars.

DS1 old daycare (that we loved) hired college kids from a local university, usually from the early child development program. They were awesome and had so much energy to play so that also wouldn't be a concern for me.

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't mark it off just because of the swimming and canoeing until you heard how it all works. I'd rather my kids out doing things like that than stuck inside a daycare room or someone's house all day even if it meant a slightly higher risk.

khalloc
03-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't rule out that daycare at all until you meet the lady and see it for yourself. It sounds like wonderful fun. And if you feel that the safety points are met and you have an overall good feeling about it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. I would want my child in a pdf on a murky lake (we make our kids wear them on the lake even when they are with us and DS1 is a good swimmer). And I would want my kid in a booster even if I had to provide it.

I can't imagine that the kids are traveling without at least boosters, but then again, I see so many parents load their kids up in cars and travel without them "for short distances" that not much surprises me anymore regarding kids and cars.

DS1 old daycare (that we loved) hired college kids from a local university, usually from the early child development program. They were awesome and had so much energy to play so that also wouldn't be a concern for me.

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't mark it off just because of the swimming and canoeing until you heard how it all works. I'd rather my kids out doing things like that than stuck inside a daycare room or someone's house all day even if it meant a slightly higher risk.

Yes, I would definitely want at least a booster also, even if I had to provide it. I just cant imagine that a state with a law that you had to be in a booster until age 8 would allow a home daycare to just use a seatbelt. I am thinking they just worded that badly and that they really mean a seatbelt that is securing a booster seat?

I think the outdoor fun is great. Her current daycare is more of a "center" but they are outside playing and taking nature walks thru the woods all the time. But it doesnt serve her new kindergarten. I am hoping I like this woman and feel she will provide a safe environment.

Gena
03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, I would definitely want at least a booster also, even if I had to provide it. I just cant imagine that a state with a law that you had to be in a booster until age 8 would allow a home daycare to just use a seatbelt. I am thinking they just worded that badly and that they really mean a seatbelt that is securing a booster seat?

My guess would be that your state's booster seat law is more recent than the home daycare regulations. The day care regulations have probably not been updated since the booster seat law went into effect. In general, newer laws supercede older regulations. So your daycare provider should be following the law, since she is using regular vehicles (daycares using a mini-bus may be exempt from the booster law).

As for the water activities, I would want to know that she and/or her employee are certified as Lifeguards or Water Safety Instructors and have first aid/CPR training. i would also want to know that the children use PFDs when in and around the water.

Beyond that, I think you should go with what your Mommy gut says after you meet with the woman.

wolverine2
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
If they are certified lifeguards, I would feel better, but I can't even take my 2 kids in a canoe with me safely (and I was a lifeguard and both kids are in PFD's). I would take my 6 year old and another 6 year old, but 3 year olds are not safe! :)

tarahsolazy
03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
My son has been going to an afterschool program and summer daycamp that sounds just like this this for the past two years. 8 or 10 kids, 2 adults, driving around the area in biodiesel vans, going to do nature adventures. They swim, boat, make campfires, get super muddy, etc. After meeting the director, seeing how they run things, I've been very comfortable with it.

kdeunc
03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I think it sounds like it could be fun. I would talk with the provider and ask your questions. I would imagine that she has the children use life jackets and that is what I would provide for my child if it was optional.

kerridean
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I think it sounds like it could be fun. I would talk with the provider and ask your questions. I would imagine that she has the children use life jackets and that is what I would provide for my child if it was optional.

Even with a life jacket, an adult should have a hand on every child at all times for all non swimmers. I was a lifeguard and a Water Safety Instructor for 10 years. A child should never be left to float alone without an adult holding on until they can swim completely independently.

kdeunc
03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Even with a life jacket, an adult should have a hand on every child at all times for all non swimmers. I was a lifeguard and a Water Safety Instructor for 10 years. A child should never be left to float alone without an adult holding on until they can swim completely independently.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply life jacket in lieu of adult contact. I would never use a life jacket without an adult in a body of water. I use them on my children walking along a dock or playing at the edge of the ocean if it is rough. For me it is a "keep your head above water until I can snatch you out". :)

khalloc
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Well I met with this home daycare lady. She was very nice. Her youngest child she takes care of is 3. There is only 1 3 year old. She has 2 5 year olds that are not in K yet. I know of at least 2 more 5 year olds she would have (my DD and DD's friend). After that the rest of the kids are in school with the oldest being a 10 year old girl.

She provides booster/car seats. I asked about field trips and she brings them to parks, to the fish hatchery on the lake, to the beach (about 1 mile form my house), to Ben&Jerrys factory, to various playgrounds, to tourist farms. I asked about swimming and life jackets. She doesnt make them wear them because the kids are learning to swim. Apparantly she brings them to the town beach for swim lessons (our town offers these in the summer). So I could sign my kid up and she would cart her there and back. Which is nice since I have wanted to do that, but I work. She will have child wear life vest or something similar if the parent requests it. She said when they go to the beach one of the adults will be in the water with the children who want to swim, and one will stay on the sand with the non-swimming kids. She makes them wear a "daycare" uniform t-shirt for any excursions they do. She has been in business since 1983.

She also brings them canoeing. I asked about this and she said she brings out 2 children at a time. The other adult "helper" is always on shore watching. The kids of course wear life jackets. So short quick trips in the canoe so that each child can have a turn if they want. We have a sailboat ourselves and my DD is skittish about it so I can see her declining the canoe ride.

I'm going to do it. I gave her a $25 deposit. My daughter will be with one of her best friends from her current daycare and this little girl's older sister also goes to this woman's program after-school & summers. I love our current daycare, but they do not service our neighborhood school. And I would like my DD to not have to start a new daycare + Kindergarten all in the same week. I think I am going to try to do some swimming lessons at the Y before the summer and also provide her with some type of flotation device/live vest. My DD is not a risk-taker and will not venture out in the water without having an adult holding her.

tmahanes
03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I think it sounds like a blast! :)

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

bubbaray
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Sounds like fun! :)

kdeunc
03-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I want to go!! :wink2: