PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: baby and kid photos and memories

KrisM
03-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I know I have a HUGE pile of school projects, report cards, photos, etc staring at me every day in my bedroom. I know what I want to do with it all, but haven't made the time to go through and purge/organize it all. I know others here have that same pile :).

So, the newest challenge is for everyone to get going on organizing those memories.

Some ideas:
- purge the artwork that was once cute, but isn't worth saving for the next 20 years
- make a memory box of items to keep
- print digital photos to capture the kids through the years
- put those and other photos, papers, etc in something (a binder, a notebook, a box, etc)

Let's knock out this project so we can have half a chance of keeping up with it as the kids get older!

I think this is a big project, so let's give us until March 15 to do it. That's 2 weeks and 2 weekends!

KrisM
03-01-2011, 11:03 AM
For me, I have things in a couple plastic bins. I need to sort through, organize and purge those artwork things. I need to sort it out by kid. I plan to make a 3" 3-ring binder per kid for a couple years of school. It'll include writing samples, artwork, math pages, report cards, etc. I want something I can store easily and I figure binders are pretty easy.

I don't know if I'll be done by the 15th, as I'm getting ready to do a mom2mom sale and need to do all the clothing for that. But, I will have it done by the end of March for sure :).

♥ms.pacman♥
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
great thread. i've been meaning to organize DS's baby stuff and work on (read: start working on!) DS's scrapbook of his first year of life. I have TONS of pictures and little memorabilia (hospital wrist strap, baby shower favors etc) i just need to 1) go through and pick some good pics 2) upload them to Costco, get them printed, pick them up and 3) just organize them in the scrapbook and add little artwork/stickers, other mementos etc. i have the scrapbook binder itself and tons of paper, doo-dads, stamps etc. it's just so hard to get started and find time to work on it.

March 15 sounds like a great deadline... i know if i don't get it done by then, i will never get it done!

WatchingThemGrow
03-01-2011, 11:28 AM
For me, I have things in a couple plastic bins. I need to sort through, organize and purge those artwork things. I need to sort it out by kid. I plan to make a 3" 3-ring binder per kid for a couple years of school. It'll include writing samples, artwork, math pages, report cards, etc. I want something I can store easily and I figure binders are pretty easy.

I don't know if I'll be done by the 15th, as I'm getting ready to do a mom2mom sale and need to do all the clothing for that. But, I will have it done by the end of March for sure :).
:yeahthat: except that I also have this idea (http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprahs-Favorite-Things-for-a-Thrifty-Holiday/3) from an Oprah guest (and the supplies for it) floating around in my room as well.

Oh, AND we're going away at the end of the March and that whole packing thing makes me crazy. Sounds like I need to be highly caffeinated this month, but I KNOW this stuff needs to get done. I'm in, although I need to say it with more gusto!
How are you doing the "sections" or is it just chronological?
-before/at birth
- baby year
-toddler years
-preschool years

zag95
03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I am working on DD's first yr scrapbook- I'm up to 6 mos (she just turned 3 so I'm not too behind!)

Since DD was born with a cleft lip and palate, she has had quite a transformation in her first year of life, so her book is pretty large! I anticipate that her age 1-2 and 2-3 books won't be quite so big! I will add some of the "artwork" she has been doing. I may also scan things that are large, and print them or shrink them down to fit within the 12X12 album.

I am also saving a few little things- such as a lock of hair, NAM mold (baby retainer she wore prior to her lip repair, etc). I plan on keeping those in a keepsake type box!

niccig
03-02-2011, 01:49 AM
DS's memory box - I read an idea about keeping it in a file box in hanging files. I think I'll try that.

DS's baby book - I write some things but not enough...need to add things before I forget! He's 6yo, so I'm sure I've forgotten a lot.

Last year's artwork - in a plastic tote.

I have to be realistic - I have 2 exams next week and 2 work projects to finish up - but if I even do just a little on one of these I'll feel better about not losing the memories.

KrisM
03-02-2011, 06:20 PM
:yeahthat: except that I also have this idea (http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprahs-Favorite-Things-for-a-Thrifty-Holiday/3) from an Oprah guest (and the supplies for it) floating around in my room as well.

Oh, AND we're going away at the end of the March and that whole packing thing makes me crazy. Sounds like I need to be highly caffeinated this month, but I KNOW this stuff needs to get done. I'm in, although I need to say it with more gusto!
How are you doing the "sections" or is it just chronological?
-before/at birth
- baby year
-toddler years
-preschool years

That idea is really neat! Hadn't seen that.

I'm doing it by year and we'll just see how much fits in the space.

Here's the post I'm copying :).
http://reluctantentertainer.com/2010/01/kid-memory-binders-organized-and-easy/

kristac
03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Recently I went to the post office and got some express mail boxes (free). I made one for each year (of school) for each child and one for Holidays. I put thier artwork, class pics, etc in them. They are almost the perfect size except for the HUGE paper that thier preschools insist on using means I can't close the preschool boxes. Going to have to find something bigger at some point but for now they were easy and free. One of these days I'm going to cover them in wrapping paper to pretty them up a bit :) .

ThreeofUs
03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
This is a great idea. Easy-to-store boxes.

PMJ
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM
How do you get the Priority boxes for free? Then once you wrap them (great idea!) are you going to label them?

PMJ
03-09-2011, 11:01 PM
OK, I just saw on the site how to get them free (that's crazy).. Can you tell me exactly what size you got? I'm thinking the "Small flat" boxes are what you are talking about.

thanks again :)!

kristac
03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
OK, I just saw on the site how to get them free (that's crazy).. Can you tell me exactly what size you got? I'm thinking the "Small flat" boxes are what you are talking about.

thanks again :)!

Opps- I was wrong. They are "Express Mail" boxes not Priority. They don't say a size that I can see but the inside dimensions are 12 15/16" x 3" x 15 1/4" . If that last measurement was 17" they would be perfect. I just leave one end open. I guess I could cut another piece of cardboard to make a flap to close them.

ETA- just looked on UPS's website and they appear to have a box that is -18" x 13" x 3"- thier Large Express Box. They should also be free. I think I will run by thier store later today to check them out.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/supplies/boxes.html?srch_pos=15&srch_phr=box

KrisM
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Not to be a downer, but Priority and Express boxes are free so people can use them to ship by those methods, not for people to store things at their house. If people take boxes and boxes to build other things with them, then prices will just go up or the boxes will stop being free. Anyone remember when Priority tape was free? It was, but people took it for other reasons and now it's not free.

You can get free boxes at grocery stores, reuse an Amazon box, or something else. Or, you can buy boxes at places like Uhaul, self-storage places, and Home Depot. Or, get them ship yourself something and reuse the used box.

PMJ
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Not to be a downer, but Priority and Express boxes are free so people can use them to ship by those methods, not for people to store things at their house. If people take boxes and boxes to build other things with them, then prices will just go up or the boxes will stop being free. Anyone remember when Priority tape was free? It was, but people took it for other reasons and now it's not free.

You can get free boxes at grocery stores, reuse an Amazon box, or something else. Or, you can buy boxes at places like Uhaul, self-storage places, and Home Depot. Or, get them ship yourself something and reuse the used box.

Good point. I knew something in my gut was feeling funny about possibly doing this. Thanks for keepin me in check.

PMJ
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, now I've got another question. :) Love both ideas - but one seems (unfairly free) and the other a bit pricey (Page protectors are expensive).

Does anyone else have any other mid-price range ideas for storing Kids' items from school or other?

I'm fresh out of ideas. I like the Binder idea a lot, b/c the kids can flip through stuff and it's neatly in there and most probably nothing will fall out.

niccig
03-16-2011, 03:32 AM
An idea I got on blog was to use a portable file box. Not a huge one, the ones you would carry around by a handle. Then have a hanging folder for each year.

KrisM
03-22-2011, 08:20 AM
How'd people do? I didn't do anything. I am planning on it for April 8th weekend, as I'm going away by myself and that is the project I'm bringing with me.

I hope people made some progress and got those photos organized! I want to get one of those Cropper Hoppers for mine. Love it!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-22-2011, 11:03 AM
uh, i didn't do a thing. DD through a wrench in our plans by arriving 5 weeks early a couple weeks ago, so no progress on the organizing front! though hopefully can get something done in a couple weeks when things settle down more.

KrisM
03-22-2011, 11:04 AM
uh, i didn't do a thing. DD through a wrench in our plans by arriving 5 weeks early a couple weeks ago, so no progress on the organizing front! though hopefully can get something done in a couple weeks when things settle down more.

I'll give you a pass for that :).

But, seriously, don't wait too long. Very soon that baby will be contributing to the pile of stuff to be organized! I really wish I had that part figured out before DS1 was born. I think things would be so much more organized now.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I'll give you a pass for that :).

But, seriously, don't wait too long. Very soon that baby will be contributing to the pile of stuff to be organized! I really wish I had that part figured out before DS1 was born. I think things would be so much more organized now.

yeah, i know, that's what i was thinking..i think what i'm gonna try to do is organize and scrapbook DD's and DS's stuff in tandem, esp since it's only been about a year.

KrisM
03-22-2011, 11:24 AM
yeah, i know, that's what i was thinking..i think what i'm gonna try to do is organize and scrapbook DD's and DS's stuff in tandem, esp since it's only been about a year.

Have a plan in place for preschool, too. I now have stuff from 3 babies, 4 years of preschool, kindergarten and 1st grade. Ugh. I know what I want to do and will get it all caught up in 1 weekend. Then, I am hoping that I can keep on track and next year with 3 in school, I'll be set.

I'll scrapbook things later. For now, I just want the stuff organized. I can always pull things out in 3 years and do something better with it :).

PMJ
03-22-2011, 02:27 PM
I hope people made some progress and got those photos organized! I want to get one of those Cropper Hoppers for mine. Love it!

What is a Cropper HOpper??

I began DD's scrapbook. I'm done with Months 1 - 8 and am waiting for the new prints for 9-12 (months) to be here. It actually went really fast for me and I'M SO HAPPY w/myself! Gotta toot your own horn sometimes. :)

KrisM
03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
What is a Cropper HOpper??

I began DD's scrapbook. I'm done with Months 1 - 8 and am waiting for the new prints for 9-12 (months) to be here. It actually went really fast for me and I'M SO HAPPY w/myself! Gotta toot your own horn sometimes. :)

http://www.cropperhopper.com/purplephotocase-2000.aspx

They're cheaper other places, and there are different versions. Someone in another photo thread suggested it for storing photos in less space. I had used photo paper envelopes and a cardboard box, but I think this is sturdier and I can stick it on a high shelf and not worry that it'll dump if I take it down.

Way to go on the scrapbook!

KrisM
04-07-2011, 06:55 AM
I'm gathering my supplies. This is my weekend to get the school stuff put together and organized. I hope it goes as planned and it gets done by Sunday morning!

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Oh, man. I've only been gathering supplies for this...not actually getting anything done! Kris, are you doing the "away for the weekend by yourself" thing again? I hope you enjoy yourself and get a lot done!

KrisM
04-07-2011, 07:20 AM
I am! I go tomorrow and come back on Sunday. I love being able to get a project done all by myself. Last year, I got all my filing caught up and it's still caught up now. I'm hoping that works for the school things, too.

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2011, 07:20 AM
sounds dreamy!