PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a thank you for SIL & DN

larig
03-01-2011, 12:34 PM
My AWESOME SIL took the time (and $25 postage) to send me a HUGE box of hand-me-downs for DS from her son who is 18 mos older. I'm just unpacking it now, and 1/2 through and already I've unearthed at least 8 pairs of shoes and coats, and shirts and pants and sweaters, etc. This is the 3rd batch of stuff she's sent since DS was born, and I'd love to do something nice for them. I was thinking about sending a gift card to a kids' clothing store, or shoe store, etc.

I was thinking Lands' End, Mini Boden, Gap, ON, Baby Wit, zappos, piperlime ... DN is going to be 5 in December. So, if you were going to give/get a gift card where would you choose?

ETA: the clothes are from a variety of places--old navy, kohls, mini boden, ...SIL is a doctor, her DH is a chef. she is a runner and they are moving across the country in june.

lowrioh
03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
My AWESOME SIL took the time (and $25 postage) to send me a HUGE box of hand-me-downs for DS from her son who is 18 mos older. I'm just unpacking it now, and 1/2 through and already I've unearthed at least 8 pairs of shoes and coats, and shirts and pants and sweaters, etc. This is the 3rd batch of stuff she's sent since DS was born, and I'd love to do something nice for them. I was thinking about sending a gift card to a kids' clothing store, or shoe store, etc.

I was thinking Lands' End, Mini Boden, Gap, ON, Baby Wit, zappos, piperlime ... DN is going to be 5 in December. So, if you were going to give/get a gift card where would you choose?

I would get a gift card for someplace that she will spend the money on herself rather than her kids. A spa, Loft, Sephoria etc.
I find myself spending gift cards on whatever we need rather than spending them on myself.
For example, I got a gift card for BBB and I'm about to use it for a car seat for DD....probably not what my SIL intended when she gave it to me.

ohsara430
03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Honestly I'd probably send a giftcard for a restaurant for SIL & BIL to go out to eat or for SIL to get a pedicure or something. I think sending one to a children's clothing store could be taken the wrong way, like asking for more hand-me-downs.

Melaine
03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
If it were me, I'd prefer a children's clothing store over the other options. I think it would be a nice gesture. I might do GAP because it could work for kids or the parents.

sunriseiz
03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I think a GC to anywhere she enjoys would be greatly appreciated! :)

soontobe
03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
y not avisa gc so she can use it how she wants?

katydid1971
03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Where are most of the Hand Me Downs from? That would give you a good idea of where she likes to shop for her DC. A spa GC would be my favorite GC BTW.

larig
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
thanks for all of the suggestions.

the clothes are from EVERYWHERE. I know the stuff that they love is the stuff from baby wit (Clash & Ramones tshirts), and there's lots of practical everyday stuff from kohl's, etc. Hmmm.

If you were moving from the place you live now in June, would you have enough time to use a spa/related type gift card? (Since they're moving I'd hate for her to feel pressured to use it--or would this not be an issue?)

kedss
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I'd probably get her a card you know she can use over a year's time at a place you know will be where she will be moving too. After moving, she'd probably like a spa treatment if she likes spa treatments. :)