PDA

View Full Version : anyone use flonase on you or your kiddo?

Tondi G
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
DS2 (he is almost 6) was just given a prescription for it to use for a month since we are on round 2 of antibiotics and he still has fluid in both ears. My ped is thinking that continuing the flonase after the antibiotics are done will help clear his sinuses out and keep em that way so everything can get back to normal. Anything I should know? Any weird side effects? I am actually thinking about trying it myself so I know how they feel going into ones nose.

thanks for any advise you have to offer!
~Tondi

khalloc
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I do. Everyday. No side effects. I use them to keep nasal polyps under control. I am not brave enough to go in and have them surgically removed.

Also, there is a generic version of this now. Way cheaper!

sste
03-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I used it during an awful flu. LOVE IT! It works so much better than any other de-congestant. I felt like I was able to breathe better than my normal breathing prior to my flu. Not sure if there are any special concerns for kids but I imagine for short-term use it would be fine.

nfowife
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
My 4 yo DS is on it for chronic congestion due to allergies. He's also on allegra. I've been happy with it, though it hasn't completely solved the issue..... But it's been better than the tons of other meds we've been on. DS has no problem taking it daily.

Tondi G
03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
thanks everyone! Glad to hear that everyone who takes it has seen good results and no real side effects.

Indianamom2
03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
DD takes it on and off and as far as we can tell, has no side effects. It seems to help when she takes it, and best of all, she doesn't fight it.

s7714
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Both my 8 year old and I have been on it in the past due to chronic sinusitis. It did help us a lot by reducing the amount of infections we developed.

Flonase is a steroid, so while it doesn't have blatant side effects for most people, it's not something I'd just toss aside lightly as being harmless. Our pediatrician recommended only using it if it appeared our typical sinus infection season was going to be a bad one. This year we opted not to take it and have been just fine. Well, I'm actually not taking it because of being pregnant--if I wasn't I probably would have taken it this season as I did have a few infections early in the season.