PDA

View Full Version : stroller suggestions for 3 under 2

ryanmom
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
My DD will be 18 months when her sibling arrives. We do a nanny share currently and are hoping to continue when the baby comes. The nanny share baby will be 16 months when the new baby comes. We currently have a Baby Jogger City Classic Double (we bought it when it was being phased out for a good price)-- it is a side by side (at the time I wanted a side by side because both girls were only 3/5 months when we started sharing and I thought a front to back like a P&T would be a little dangerous for the baby in the bottom seat). The family that we nanny share with has agreed to continue if we get a triple stroller and suggested we get a front to back. I'm not sold on the idea of a triple stroller. Are there other good options? Here are some of the considerations:
we live in Boston but in a more suburban part so the walking is mostly neighborhood walking-- the double works on sidewalks but is a squeeze in some parts. I'm not in love with the double although I do like it and think it will be fine for my two.
The nanny currently takes both girls on walks in the stroller twice a day. She also walks them to classes in the area (she doesn't drive with them).
I haven't talked to her about a carrier but I think she would be open to using one.
I also have a Mountain Buggy Swift (I use it as my car stroller and for walks in the neighborhood etc), a snap n go, and an emmaljunga that was given to me (one of the tires needs to be repaired though and I'm at a loss for figuring this out as the strollers aren't carried in the US-- I have emailed with a couple of stroller stores in London as this seems like the only way to get it fixed).
I'd love to hear any ideas including whether or not I should try and sell some of my current strollers (like the MB Swift and the BJCCD) and then buy something new.
Thanks in advance for all your help and expertise!!

roseyloxs
03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
The valco twin with joey seat is the first that I can think of

http://img2.prosperent.com/images/250x250/www.mystrollers.com/assets/Product/Images400/9AD9CC6F3824457AB351BAAC343C9483.jpg

Next and if you can believe it an even pricier option is the ABC (http://www.adventurebuggycompany.com/triplebuggy.htm)

http://www.adventurebuggycompany.com/images/triple_000504_big.jpg

ryanmom
03-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Ugh, are these really my only options?

scriptkitten
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
there was a beautiful triple pram with stroller seats on boston craigslist over the weekend. i don't see it now.

it was AMAZING!!!! very very compact, but with classic euro pram styling.

this mountain buggy is on there now
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bab/2240537161.html

roseyloxs
03-01-2011, 10:47 PM
You already mentioned the nanny babywearing which I personally think is a great idea if she is up for it. The older children are still too young for a ride on board or to walk. So basically I think a triple stroller or babywearing is all you got.

ryanmom
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Any idea what brand? I will look on cl now!

blondflava
03-02-2011, 08:20 AM
They make those ABCs for quadruples too, wow, not THAT is a lot of stroller... Mountain Buggy (the one scriptkitten linked) looks like a good option, I bet it has a great push even with 3 kiddos in it!

WatchingThemGrow
03-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Our triple BJ is not sidewalk friendly - it fits, but others have to get off for us to get by. Babywearing is the best option IME (didn't try the valco) but wearing the baby is going to be challenging when the 16mo or 18mo have a toddler fit as they tend to do. I honestly think caring for 3 under 2 is going to be a very, very challenging job for someone. Going places and taking care of everyone's needs while juggling a kid without a seat is hard. Do you have a place to keep the valco unfolded if you go that route?

lhafer
03-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Have you checked out this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RunAbout-Triple-Jogger-Stroller_W0QQitemZ190504332608QQcategoryZ2989QQcmd ZViewItem#_rtop

http://multiples.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=multiples&cdn=parenting&tm=504&gps=518_130_1366_639&f=21&su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.1.336.ip_&tt=3&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.tripletconnection.org/runabout_strollers/index.html

http://www.bergdesign.net/runabout.htm

There seem to be some pretty good reviews on it.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/pr-RunAbout_Triple_Stroller

ryanmom
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't know if it changes anything but I'll be home for a maternity leave until DD is 22 months, nanny share baby is 20 months and the new baby is 3 months or so.

I talked to the nanny is she is more than willing to use the carrier (and probably will for the new baby as opposed to one of the girls, although both girls are still on the smaller side, my DD is about 21 lbs and the nanny share baby is about 17). We have a fenced in back yard so maybe instead of walks, the girls can play out back as well.

I may still get a triple but I'm going to wait until sometime during my maternity leave to figure it out and hopefully get a used one. I'm still interested in options though if anyone else has good recommendations.

I'm also wondering if I should keep the strollers that I have (BJCCD and the MB Swift) or if I should sell and get something different. Would a Bob Dualie be better because of the push? Should I sell the MB Swift and get a P&T so I have a front to back double option? We drive a Subaru Outback and rarely fly. We do go to my parents and my inlaws a lot and would use strollers in both places as well as like to walk a lot but mostly on paved roads and occasionally on dirt roads/paths. We also live in the Northeast so snow is always an issue in the winter.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

abh5e8
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
we have a triple baby jogger Q series. we bought it used on craigslist (denver, i think) for $300. its awesome...nice push, comfy seats, good price but its wide. we use it for running on wide trails and outdoor events like the zoo.

i use the P&T inline double for more of "every day" type stuff. i pile all 3 kids in it pretty often. the big 2 sit in the big front seat, 1 in front of the other. the baby rides in the botton seat. mine are a small 4 year old, a big 2 year old and a 4month old.

WatchingThemGrow
03-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Well, your BJCCD reclines flat for when YOU have your two and want to go for walks. It has been okay so far, right? I sometimes wonder if changing it up would be good, but truly, our BJCED has been a workhorse. It still fits my 4.5 yo with room to spare, it can hold all 3 DC several ways (one on front footwell, one sitting on a lap, one on the Valco board) and it's just amazing how easily it folds to go into the car.

I would look at setting up more toddler friendly stuff for them to do outside when the baby is napping.

roseyloxs
03-03-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm also wondering if I should keep the strollers that I have (BJCCD and the MB Swift) or if I should sell and get something different.

If you are in the mood to change things up then I would go for it. I think it would be a good idea to keep one double and one single. For when you or the hubby goes out alone or if your oldest takes up biking or scooting.

tribe pride
03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
If I were in your situation, I think I would sell the BJCCD and Swift, and replace them with the Valco Twin Trimode (or the ABC Buggy if it's in your budget- it looks really cool!) and P&T Explorer. The BJCCD and Swift are both great strollers but it seems like the Valco and P&T would work better for your situation since they are more versatile. The Valco gives you the option for the toddler seat in front, so that you could have all 3 kids sitting somewhere if needed. And when you're not doing the nanny-share and just have your own 2 children, you can just take the toddler seat off and have a regular side by side double. You also would have the option of adding the HH down the road if you wanted (although I think you can do that with the BJ, too). While the BJCCD is a very nice stroller (I currently own one and like it a lot), I think the Valco is probably a bit better quality and will hold up longer.

Although the swift is probably a better single stroller than the P&T, I think it would be worth replacing it simply because the P&T is much more versatile. I also currently have an Explorer, and I love it. It has been fabulous for taking in and out of the car, provides a place for my toddler to sit when he gets tired of walking, and is much easier to maneuver in tight spaces than our BJCCD. If you want an in-line stroller with doubles capabilities, I think P&T is a fabulous option. And then the nanny can always wear the infant while the 2 older kids ride.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Like I said, the BJCCD and Swift are great strollers, but I think in your situation that the Valco and P&T would offer you more options and be more versatile. And it's always fun to switch things up and try something new!