PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you go in for a strep test?

Nu_mama
03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
DD is 5.5, DS is 3.5. About a week ago DD began running a low-grade temp. We kept her home from school but it took about 3-4 days for her to be fever free. Of course she has the typical running nose, cough symptoms that seem to be here until spring comes. Now DS has the same fever. I did find out yesterday from DD's teacher that strep had been in the classroom. Now I feel like I should bring DS in for strep test. It probably isn't strep, but if it is, I have been letting them try to fight it off naturally for about 1 week. I have been watching their throats and don't see any white spots in either one, but also don't feel real competent checking this. WWYD?

SnuggleBuggles
03-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't unless it's a really high fever or a very uncomfortable throat. Otherwise, a sore throat is a common cold side effect. I did take ds1 in recently though for a situation like you described and he tested negative.

Beth

Nu_mama
03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Just got home, it was negative. We'll just be riding out the latest bug.

trales
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
We went yesterday b/c the temp reached 103.5, I thought it was an ear infection, but it was strep. Shows how much I know.

When in doubt, I call.

Gena
03-01-2011, 08:35 PM
We went through this recently. DS and I both had high fevers and sore throats. Since strep was going around his aftercare program, I was certain we both had it. My strep test was positive. Surprisingly DS's test was negative, and he was diagnosed with a sinus infection.