PDA

View Full Version : Why am I so excited about a leaf blower?

DebbieJ
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
We live in an older neighborhood (homes are 40ish years old) and we have five VERY LARGE trees (maples and honey locusts) on our lot. DH cuts the lawn, but doesn't keep up with the leaves (or the rest of the landscaping) as much as I would like. That means if I want it done, I have to do it myself.

Today there was a leaf blower/vac on Amazon lightening deal so I bought it.

I can't wait for it to get here! The snow is mostly melted and things are thawing. Our lawn looks horrible.

Never in a million years did I think I would be excited about lawn equipment.

boolady
03-01-2011, 05:44 PM
You're right to be excited. I grew up in an older neighborhood in an house with five or six large, leaf shedding trees on the property, and when I was a kid, raking was a bear. I know my dad's life got much easier once he got a really good leaf blower/mulching vac. Good for you!

NancyJ_redo
03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
For the same reason I'm a new owner of a mitre box - because they're awesome :jammin:

blue
03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
....- because they're awesome :jammin:

:yeahthat: Congrats on your new toy, - I mean lawn maintenance tool ;)

jenfromnj
03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Definitely worth getting excited about! DH still makes fun of me for being so excited about finding the perfect pump when DS was really small, but hey, these kinds of things can make life so much better.

If you had told me when I was in my early 20s, the things that I'd be excited about in my 30s, I would have laughed out loud and definitely not believed you!

liamsmom
03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
You want to go outside and play with your new toy? Sounds perfectly normal to me!

The snow is mostly melted and things are thawing.

I'm so jealous.

Snow mom
03-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Okay, I'm going to rain on the parade (although maybe I shouldn't... stop here if you don't want to hear this). Leaf blowers put huge, unhealthy amounts of particulates into the air. You aren't just blowing up large leafs but tiny particulates that degrade air quality and can be dangerous to breath--not just for you but for others in your area. I'm assuming you got an electric blower, but gas is another issue because most lawn equipment uses inefficient 2 stroke motors that create huge amounts of pollution. Honestly, I'd recommend looking into the environmental consequences and potential health risks of blowing leaves rather than raking.

Penny's Pappa
03-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I need you to talk to my wife and get her excited to buy some yard equipment!

We have a huge locust tree in our front yard that sheds thousands of these little, half-inch long leaves. Raking them is a pain. I would LOVE to have a gas leaf blower (preferably backpack) to move those around.

They're good for cleaning out your gutters too btw.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

Rainbows&Roses
03-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Okay, I'm going to rain on the parade (although maybe I shouldn't... stop here if you don't want to hear this). Leaf blowers put huge, unhealthy amounts of particulates into the air. You aren't just blowing up large leafs but tiny particulates that degrade air quality and can be dangerous to breath--not just for you but for others in your area. I'm assuming you got an electric blower, but gas is another issue because most lawn equipment uses inefficient 2 stroke motors that create huge amounts of pollution. Honestly, I'd recommend looking into the environmental consequences and potential health risks of blowing leaves rather than raking.

In addition, I think they are obnoxious and noise polluters. My DH bought one and I watched him spend hours and hours out there getting nowhere fast as we have several huge old maples. When he was at work, DD and I used a rake and accomplished a lot more than he did in a lot less time.

WatchingThemGrow
03-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Which model did you get? We have an electric one, and i forgot to use it this year! I raked and raked while DC were playing and it took me forever. DH used his dad's backpack one and cleared 2 neighbors' .25 acre lots in a few hours' time.

The ILs have a large lot and the "green" yard maintenance guy worked on it with a rake for several hours before he decided it was not working out. He used the backpack and got it done so much more efficiently. He said that for some applications, you just need one.

DebbieJ
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I bought a Black & Decker electric one. I'll probably make DS1 do some raking and use it mostly for sucking up his piles. BUT we also have this AWFUL section of black lava rock in our backyard and I'll have to blow the leaves out of there.

I'll wear ear protection, too. My dad is only 62 and has hearing aids from years of using power tools, so I know better. :)

HIU8
03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
For the same reason I was psyched when DH brought the leaf blower home from MIL's house. Now we can clean our gutters ourselves and keep up with it. Now, to get DH to get MIL's snow blower....... (note: she hires people to do everything and they have their own equipment, so she gives us hers).

ThreeofUs
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Fwiw, I would just about die for a nice Stihl leaf blower. I have a Sears electric, and we won't be getting another, but lawn equipment is not to be underestimated when you have a lot of ground to cover and a lot of trees. I spent three years raking - and don't get me wrong, I *like* raking a lot - but my leaf blower leaves me with many fewer blisters on my hands and takes a lot less time.

blue
03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I'll wear ear protection, too. My dad is only 62 and has hearing aids from years of using power tools, so I know better. :)

Good for you for wearing ear protection :thumbsup: Don't forget the eye protection for safety, and to complete your outfit of course ;).

crl
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, I'm excited about the step on trash and recycling bin (dh and ds can't figure out the baby proofing on the cabinet under the sink where the trash and recycling were so they have been stacking their trash and recycling on the countertop for the last month).

I'm thinking that's one step below lawn equipment. . . . .

Catherine

DebbieJ
03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Good for you for wearing ear protection :thumbsup: Don't forget the eye protection for safety, and to complete your outfit of course ;).

Once my most recently redeemed Amazon gc's hit my Swagbucks acct, that is the next thing my cart!

I'm getting these: http://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Clear-Womens-Safety-Glasses/dp/B002OTTKI8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I10VUBNAD09NUI&colid=3QS4LH2U6YR4V

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vs89Ucz-L.jpg

blue
03-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Sweet looking safely glasses!