PDA

View Full Version : Need intro/info for Thomas

indigo99
03-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I got a train table for DS back when Target had them on clearance. Now it's time for consignment sales, and I want to look for a train set to set up on the table. I don't know the first thing about them though. What do I need to know?

Specifically, if I see a set of track then how do I know if it will work with Thomas trains? Do I want to look for plastic or wood? Are there different sizes of Thomas trains and track or will they all work together? What are good prices for track and trains? I know that I've seen some of the little trains for $4 at sales before, and that seemed high to me. Is that what they usually go for used? How about buildings?

Any info appreciated!

mariza
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
The little trains for $4 are generally the die cast "take along" trains which do not work on the wooden tracks. If you want wood tracks and live in an area where you have AC Moore stores I would check there. They often have sales and / or coupons for 40% off Thomas. Many people say that Thomas tracks are interchangeable with Brio and Melissa and Doug tracks, but I have not had good luck with this. I've broken tracks that I mixed together because I could not get them apart. That said however, you could just get a generic track set, non Thomas and use Thomas trains on it. If I were starting over I would probably do that. Check www.kids.Woot.com too, they often have Thomas deals. HTH!

Smillow
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I have Thomas, Ikea & unidentified track (bought lot off CL) and they mix fine. The Thomas trains are around $10 each (not on sale) and Melissa & Doug are around $5.

katydid1971
03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I bought the Ikea track. Its not as nice as Thomas but soooo much cheaper that I didn't care ;) The wooden Thomas needs the wooden track. I think most of the wooden track that is currently out is compatible with Thomas trains. Something I did was buy 1 Thomas train (Thomas) and carried it around and tried it out at the stores.

jvs195
03-01-2011, 08:38 PM
If you're going with wooden Thomas then yes $4 is a good price (they normally are $10-$20 if I recall) We've had all kinds of track and some are better than others, but they all are pretty compatible with each other. The magnets at front and back are generally round. Good suggestion to bring a train with you.

Target used to sell only the die cast Thomas which are heavier (metal - like matchbox) and have specific plastic track. The magnets on these are generally square.

There are also the Tomy Thomas which are larger plastic and have blue plastic track. Most are motorized and compatible with Japanese Shinkansen trainsets.

You can use any of these on a train table, just only one type will work together at a time.

ETA: I've not seen a lot of wooden Thomas at consignment sales (they have great CL resale value) but you never know. My best deals were Michaels or AC Moore with 50% off coupons. Start with a figure 8 set for track and build slowly from there. We used the trains as PT rewards.

indigo99
03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks! The $4 price was at garage sales or consignment, but I still have no idea how much track or buildings should be when purchased used. It never shows up on our local CL. DS has one wooden Thomas so I may try taking it with me to check any track that I find at sales. We don't get the newspaper so I never have coupons for those stores and am hoping to just get lucky and find things second-hand. We also don't have an IKEA nearby, and their shipping always keeps me from buying anything (which REALLY stinks since DH is Swedish and I would love to shop there).

ett
03-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks! The $4 price was at garage sales or consignment, but I still have no idea how much track or buildings should be when purchased used. It never shows up on our local CL. DS has one wooden Thomas so I may try taking it with me to check any track that I find at sales. We don't get the newspaper so I never have coupons for those stores and am hoping to just get lucky and find things second-hand. We also don't have an IKEA nearby, and their shipping always keeps me from buying anything (which REALLY stinks since DH is Swedish and I would love to shop there).

You can get AC Moore's coupons on their website.

Smillow
03-02-2011, 12:47 AM
You can get AC Moore's coupons on their website.

Michael's too.

pharmjenn
03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I started with the plastic "Trackmaster" trains and track because I found a great deal at a consigment sale. The wooden trains do fit, but the tracks are not compatable. We do trains on the carpet, so since these snap together, it works better for us. I love that they have battery operated and remote controlled trains. We do have a couple wooden trains, and DS plays with those interchangably with the motorized ones.

MizMojoLaveau
03-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I have also had good luck with the Toys R Us Imaginarium brand tracks and accessories. They are compatible with the wooden thomas trains and tracks and so much cheaper.

MizMojoLaveau
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I wanted to add that I saw some of the wooden "early engineers" trains at Ross the other day for $4.99. My Ross had Thomas and Percy. The "early engineers" also run on the wooden track but just appear slightly bigger and chunkier as they are rated for ages 18 months and up.

indigo99
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I wanted to add that I saw some of the wooden "early engineers" trains at Ross the other day for $4.99. My Ross had Thomas and Percy. The "early engineers" also run on the wooden track but just appear slightly bigger and chunkier as they are rated for ages 18 months and up.

Will they hook together with the regular sized Thomas? I saw some on sale at Target for that same price before, but I passed since I didn't want to get stuck needing just that series.

MizMojoLaveau
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
That is a good question. I looked at the placement of the magnet and it looked low enough to be compatible, but I'm not really sure. Perhaps someone else has experience with these?

scmama
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Will they hook together with the regular sized Thomas? I saw some on sale at Target for that same price before, but I passed since I didn't want to get stuck needing just that series.

The early engineer trains are compatible with the wooden thomas track and wooden trains... the magnets match up perfectly. DS got an early engineer train as a gift a few weeks back and it works with all his other trains.

MizMojoLaveau
03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
:thanks: