PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on self compassion and dieting

DrSally
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/go-easy-on-yourself-a-new-wave-of-research-urges/?nl=health&emc=healthupdateema2

They note that most diet plans "revolve around self-discipline, deprivation and neglect", but that self-compassion may actually be more helpful in dieting (and life, I'm sure). So interesting! I've tried to frame my dieting/weight loss as "doing something for myself, taking care of myself, eating healthier, taking time to eat instead of eating on the run, eating higher quality foods and taking the time to prepare them, honoring my body and not stuffing it w/junk b/c I'm bored/sad/lonely, etc".

The positive framing actually does help me feel like I'm treating myself better and honoring myself more. I hope it is helping me to stick to the weightloss, b/c the results feel great, and are further reinforcing.

ETA: I tend to agree that deprivation and withholding are difficult to maintain. Then, when you slip, it's so easy to berate yourself when you view it in those terms, and the cycle continues.

tiapam
03-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Have you read French Women Don't Get Fat?

http://www.amazon.com/French-Women-Dont-Get-Fat/dp/0375710515/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299046504&sr=8-1

She touches on some of these things. I don't have weight problems, but there was a lot there for me about eating better, and taking better care of myself.

jenfromnj
03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

It definitely makes sense that not being hypercritical can help with dieting in the long term, IME when I'm super hardcore about a diet, I eventually "slip up" and get frustrated, which starts a bad cycle. I'm just starting WW again now, and I'm trying hard to be reasonable with myself, not feel guilty about using my weekly "extra" points allowance if I need a treat, and just generally be less obsessive about it.

Gracemom
03-02-2011, 08:46 AM
I think there is a lot of truth in that. It reminds me of Geneen Roth's approach to eating. It's hard to break out of that self-negative pattern though. I am definitely one of those people who find it so much easier to have compassion for other people, but not so much for myself.

It makes me want to raise my kids with a healthy attitude about food and eating so they don't have to unlearn a bunch of negative associations with food like I have had to.

jenfromnj
03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
ETA: I tend to agree that deprivation and withholding are difficult to maintain. Then, when you slip, it's so easy to berate yourself when you view it in those terms, and the cycle continues.

This is very true, as well. I think that's why the best "diet" advice really is to think of it as a lifestyle change, a decision to live a healthier life, rather than a diet. I am really trying this approach now, trying to make small, gradual changes rather than jumping in with both feet and then some, doing great for awhile then burning out and giving up.