PDA

View Full Version : Selling DC's Toys Question

katydid1971
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I have been selling some of DC's toys that they have out grown or really never played with much. I sold a lot of Duplo Thomas trains today for $125. DH and I aren't in agreement about what to do with the money. I think it should be an extra bonus in DS's 529 because they had been gifts to him from us and other family members. DH thinks the money should go into the "general fund" because we spend way more than that on him all the time. So what do you do with money you make from selling you DC's toys?

DrSally
03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I used to just buy more toys. Now I use it to buy post-maternity weight loss clothing for me. After 5 years of not spending money on myself, I thought this was a great way to use the $$

katydid1971
03-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I used to just buy more toys. Now I use it to buy post-maternity weight loss clothing for me. After 5 years of not spending money on myself, I thought this was a great way to use the $$

One thing I am trying to avoid is more toys!!! We are working on finding the floor of our livingroom ;) Glad you are getting something for yourself, us mommies deserve it!!!

DrSally
03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
One thing I am trying to avoid is more toys!!! ;) We are working on finding the floor of our livingroom ;) Glad you are getting something for yourself, us mommies deserve it!!!

Yeah, at a certain point, I decided less is more. I'd like to get another set of magnatiles, but I really don't want/need anymore toys right now!

vonfirmath
03-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I have been selling some of DC's toys that they have out grown or really never played with much. I sold a lot of Duplo Thomas trains today for $125. DH and I aren't in agreement about what to do with the money. I think it should be an extra bonus in DS's 529 because they had been gifts to him from us and other family members. DH thinks the money should go into the "general fund" because we spend way more than that on him all the time. So what do you do with money you make from selling you DC's toys?

General fund since I am generally selling stuff because we have needs as a family. I never even considered putting it in my kid's savings account.

ha98ed14
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
This is a little different, but same idea. My aunt sent DD a gc to TRU for Xmas. Well, there is nothing I want at TRU, but I have to use gcs asap or I forget they are there and never use them. So I used the money towards an electronic for DH and "paid" DD back from money from our household account. The gift was too her, but I didn't want to buy more toys, so I paid her off. ;) If the toys were gifts, and you aren't desperate for food, I would totally give DC the money towards college.

ohsara430
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
If we don't "need" the money for something then it goes into DD's college fund. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.